Menu

Things to do in Los Angeles??

LaBrea Tarpits and LA County Museum of Art (same location -- also you'll want to look into NexGen at LACMA and also see what will be at the Boone Children's Gallery while you're there) and (just a couple of blocks away), the historic 3rd and Fairfax Farmer's Market -- and take the trolley (free) from there around the Grove (beautiful outdoor shopping mall -- but even if you have no interest in the shopping, it's worth it to do the trolley and watch the fountain dance to music). Have lunch at one of the food stalls at the Farmer's Market -- my favorite (assuming it's still there) is the Singapore Banana Leaf!

The Getty Villa and the Getty Center should certainly be "must sees". If you can only do one, I'd go for the Villa and all the Greek and Roman antiquities. But they're very difference places and both marvelous.

The Aquarium of the Pacific in Long Beach is great, if you'll be down that way.

I love the Natural History Museum in Exposition Park. The park was the home of the 1984 Olympics so there are some neat statues and a Rose Garden nearby. The Science Museum is in the same park is fun too, (and its free). The University of Southern California is right across the street so if you are into touring college campuses you could wander around. It is a beautiful campus and has been featured in several movies. The entire surounding area is not so great so I wouldn't recommend a driving tour of the area and wouldn't wander on foot out of the park or off campus.

Our family loves Griffith Park, too. The Los Angeles Zoo is there as well as as the Griffith Park Observatory. The zoo is a must see. There are also lots of hiking trails, but bring plenty of water and go with another adult for safety.

Our favorite So. Cal. attractions are the beaches. Mahattan Beach or Hermosa Beach are near LA and have lifeguards. Parking is difficult so go early in the morning or towards the end of the day. We used to take picnic dinners to the beach to watch the sunset - so fun. It can get breezy at night at the beach so bring sweat shirts and if you are there during the day don't underestimate the power of the So. Cal. sunshine - bring your sunscreen.

Forgot to add that I second Abbeyej's suggestions about the Getty and The Aquarium of the Pacific in Long Beach. Both are amazing.

Have fun!

Huntington Gardens in Pasadena--they have a wonderful children's garden and interactive plant lab for kids. If you have girls or better behaved boys than I do, I'd make reservations for high tea at the Huntington.

For young ones--Kidspace Museum in Pasadena too.

The Getty is fantastic, I particularly recommend the Getty Villa if you are studying ancients. The whole museum is in a reproduced Roman villa, and filled with Greek/Roman/Etruscan art. It's free, but you have to make reservations for parking--and the family audio tour selections are wonderful.

Of course, I like book shopping, so I'd hit Children's Book World in west LA the best selection of kid's books I've ever seen in one location, and WhimsicAlley in Santa Monica if you're into Harry Potter.

Well, aside from what's been mentioned, there's Magic Mountain, Universal Studios, Knotts Berry Farm (is that still there? I haven't been there in about forever!). There are also the sports teams, if you want to catch a game--Dodgers, Angels, Kings (Ice Hockey) and Lakers (but they're done...).

My kids want to go there and do all the parks, including Lego Land!

If you have girls, you might try American Girl Place. If they like American Girls. Their website has list of events.

Yep. It's at The Grove, on the Farmer's Market end. You could easily spend a day at the TarPits, LACMA, The Grove, Farmer's Market and American Girl Place. You'll need reservations if you want to eat at the AGP.

Takemymotherplease.com is a private tour company. But, it is done with a great lady who totally customizes it to whatever you want to do. From museums, to shopping to studios, everything.

A little pricey, but well worth it. We scheduled with her one yr. but had to cancel because of fires. Also, she gives the tour in an old pink cadillac. Its pretty cool. She is really nice.

Just something to think about,

Jeannette

Don't forget the Hollywood Bowl. Summer is a wonderful time to enjoy a concert outdoors, and the HB is a really unique experience. Pick a concert with fireworks......its great fun!
Yes! The Greek Theater is neat too! You could check what concerts or whatever they're having when you're there.

Also, you may look on-line and see if you could get in on a taping of a game show or something. That's a fun experience.

Also, the Hollywood walk of fame.

I forgot to add that sitting in the Bowl is very cool because you feel like you are way up high (at least if you get cheap tickets like we do :o) ), and you have "the best" view of the uber-iconic "Hollywood" sign. Fear not, though, they have big screens on each side of the bowl to give the upper seats a better close up view of the performer.

We are going in November I have planned:

Zoo

Getty Villa and Getty on another day if we have the steam....

Nat. Hx. Museum (maybe twice...)

La Brea

Aquarium/ Queen Mary

I only want to go to the Q.M because I went on passenger ships in the 60's (the fanciest was The France) and I'd like to walk down memory lane.

We are doing this specifically for educational exposure for kiddo who will be 6 by then.