Menu

*r*ast pain?

Just wondering if anyone else experiences recurring pain on one side? I have been through enough stress and tests to be told that though I have fibrocystic b**ast disease, it isn't cancer.

I also have weird skin irritations sometimes. I don't have health insurance, and I really don't want to go through all those awful, painful tests again. Oh, and I will be 41 next week...if that makes a difference. Oh, and I nursed all five of my kids, am very o/w and had one m/c that resulted in a d&c, and have some genetic predisposition that only sefardic jews have for certain types of cancer.

I am just a ball of nerves, and pain right now. Please tell me some of this is normal?

I have this although it rarely bothers me. It runs in my family.

I had ongoing breast pain at one point and they did a mammogram to rule out anything serious. The doctor recommended cutting back or completely eliminating caffiene and taking vitamin e.

I found by my own process of elimination that nutrasweet and/or caffiene made it flare up. I don't know if either of those are things in your diet, but I know that too much of one or the other made it hurt worse. And yes, it was usually on one side.

I hope you find some answers so that you can have peace of mind and no pain.

I had constant left-sided breast pain for a while, in the upper outer quadrant, and the painful area felt somewhat dense. As soon as my Mirena was removed the pain (and swelling) started waxing and waning with my menstrual cycle.

Is your pain cyclic (with your cycle) or constant? "Normal" breast pain usually cycles with your hormones.

If it is constant throughout your cycle, you might want to ask for a scan. (Maybe this has already been done. Your original post doesn't specify.) You could ask for an ultrasound first, but many doctors are more comfortable ordering both (mammogram and u/s) at the same time.

Can you describe the skin issue in more detail?

I have had two thermograms since then (not very well known, but totally non invasive).

The skin issue is kind of like acne...but sometimes it bursts on its own (puss and blood, sorry so gross). It is also usually in the same spot...recurring once every few months or so.

I guess i just need to wait and see what other symptoms show up.

I'm not the one to put your mind at ease, so if you don't want to know bad stuff, skip what I have to say.

I have read some things that say that cancer isn't painful. That definitely wasn't the case for me. The tumor gave me an achy pain until it was removed.

Mammograms can't rule out cancer. They can give you an idea whether or not it is an issue, and give the surgeon an idea of what to expect during a biopsy, but it cannot say for sure if you have cancer or not.

I think nursing kids only protects against post-menopausal breast cancer, so if you have an idea that breastfeeding 5 kids means you can't get cancer, it's not true. I nursed 3 kids a total of 40 months and got cancer at age 32.

The Hasidic Jew thing is concerning.

That said, I understand that breast pain is usually benign. Have you charted it at all to see if it coincides with your cycles? Tell me more about the skin irritation issue, because skin rashes can be a nasty form of breast cancer.

Where is the pain? And how painful is the pain?

I get twinges on one side during the week. They aren't 'painful', but annoying - reminding me about them and worrying me. If I push where the twinge is, it goes away. I was told that mine is hormonal and part of perimenopause. As if I needed another symptom to add to this lovely time of my life. :tongue_smilie:

Thermogram, even better. So...deep breath, the pain is probably one of the "joys" of perimenopause. I do find that caffeine and chocolate intake influence my cyclic breast pain.

The skin issue sounds like it could be a sebaceous cyst. They're notorious for recurring like that. A dermatologist should be able to diagnose/treat it.

My mom nursed all 4 kids and still got cancer. She has been cancer free for 4 years now.

Do you lay on that side at night? Causing irritation to just that side?

I had a benign tumor as a teen. It didn't hurt I just felt the lump. I was told if it was a cyst that vitamin E would help. It wasn't it was a tumor.

about two weeks after my period. So maybe it is cyclical?

Breasts may swell and become tender during the post-ovulatory portion of your cycle. It is one of the effects of progesterone, which is low before ovulation, and then rises dramatically after ovulation. So yes, pain starting about 2 weeks after your last period started sounds about right. Mine tends to start about 3 weeks after my last period started, which is also about 2 weeks after my last period ended.

I've had work-ups for pain on one side. They saw calcifications from old bouts of mastitis, but nothing more. I get more pain when stressed, and my chiropractor can relieve it. It comes from a nerve in my neck, but I only feel it in my br**st.

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:and prayers for you.

Pammy, I have lots and lots of info on fibrocystic bre@st disease as well as on prevention of bre@st cancer. I can share the info here if you or anyone else is interested. Mostly diet and lifestyle stuff. Here's just some.

Just because you have a lump in your breast doesn’t mean you have cancer.

Pseudo Lump is breast tissue approaching 1 inch in diameter that has formed into a lump, such as a pocket of dead fat or scar tissue that resulted from trauma caused by surgery or injury.

Lumpiness – little bumps that are approximately one-eighth inch in diameter. Harmless and perfectly natural – and has not been linked to later development of breast cancer

Cyst – These lumps are fluid-filled sacs that are most common in women between 30 and 55

They feel squishy near the surface

Those that are more deeply embedded in breast tissue feel harder

Fibroid or Fibroadenoma is a lump ranging from half an inch to 2 ½ inches or larger.

A rare cancer occurs in about 1% of all these lumps (usually the larger ones).

This type of cancer is relatively harmless because it doesn’t spread. You’ve got plenty of time to look at all your options.

Cancer Lump – By the time a cancerous lump is large enough for you to feel, it’s usually grown about half an inch in diameter.

If a cancerous lump is much smaller, you won’t feel it. In the early stages, a lump of cancerous cells feels like normal tissue. It will not change with menstrual cycles and is rarely painful.

Unless the type of cancer you have is extremely aggressive, you still have time to get information and examine your options.

Fibrocystic breast is a condition that develops when fluid is not being evacuated fast enough from the breast causing cysts to form in them. These lumps move around the breast, grow and shrink, but they are benign.

Normally the fluids in the breast are transported out by the lymphatic system. But if there is too much fluid some may get deposited in different areas of the breast, tissue grows around them creating these lumps. Again, these cysts are harmless, but they should be monitored, and a woman should check her breasts frequently (particularly one week after her period) in order to find and control the cysts.

Discomfort, tenderness, and noticeable growth are normal especially around menstrual periods when estrogen levels change, it may be that the cysts disappear after the monthly period. However if the lump is hard, does not move freely and does not go away, check with a doctor immediately.

A deficiency of iodine may be a factor in the development of breast lumps. Because iodine is concentrated in breast tissue, it can protect against fibrocystic breast disease and even breast cancer. Iodine is critical for breast tissue function and has been shown to be lower in cancerous breast tissue. Research has found strong evidence that women who are deficient in iodine are more prone to breast cancer.

Back in the ’70s, scientists noted geographic differences in the rates of breast cancer (as well as endometrial and ovarian cancer), depending upon dietary iodine intake. Where iodine intake was lower, the incidence of these cancers was higher. Diets low in iodine can lead to more circulating estrogen levels in the body.

What most people don’t realize is that next to the thyroid, iodine is concentrated in breast tissue. Iodine helps to normalize the impact of estrogens on the breast. Iodine decreases or turns off the estrogen receptor sites in the breast. So when there is a lack of iodine, breasts overreact to estrogen, which then leads to pre-cancer and then full-blown breast cancer.

Women with fibrocystic disease (benign breast lumps) are four times more likely to develop breast cancer, the Mayo Clinic finds. But double-blind research at Queen’s University in Ontario has shown that iodine treatment improves fibrocystic disease in 70 percent of the women tested.

When bromide gets into breast tissues, it displaces iodine. Some women with fibrocystic breast disease find their cysts and tenderness disappear after iodine supplementation.

What to Take:

Increase your intake with mineral-rich sea vegetables (agar, hijiki, kombu, nori, and wakame) at least twice a week. You can eat as much seaweed as you want. Brown seaweeds are highest in iodine. They include all forms of kelp. Fucus, also known as Bladderwrack, is considered to be the best for underactive thyroids. Hijiki and Sargassum are two other forms of brown seaweeds. Red seaweeds include dulse, nori, Irish moss, and Gracillaria.

Since toasting doesn’t affect seaweed’s iodine content, you can eat it dried or dried and toasted. Toast some in the oven or in a dry frying pan to see if you prefer that taste. You can also powdered seaweed to your food or add larger pieces of seaweed to soups, grains, or vegetables. Seaweed should be an enjoyable addition to your diet, not an unpleasant experience. If you simply don’t like its taste, you can get it in capsules.

Use 5-10 grams of mixed brown and red seaweed for thyroid problems. This is about 1 ½ teaspoons per day. If you’ve been told that your thyroid is borderline-low, eating seaweed makes sense. But remember, you need to eat seaweed every day or take iodine in a different form.

Not all seaweeds are safe to eat. Some come from polluted waters.

Be more cautious and talk to a naturopath if you’re on thyroid meds and want to try seaweed.

Use iodine-rich Seaweed Gomasio to season your food. I LOVE this stuff. :)

AAAADK1QBzQAAAAAAUB8kg.jpg?v=1301724209000

The RDA for iodine is 150 mcg. This amount was set based on the amount needed to prevent goiter. This amount will prevent goiter but it will not prevent breast cancer or its precurser fibrocystic breast disease or other serious diseases. Breast tissue and other reproductive organs require much more iodine than the thyroid gland. Many researchers now believe that you may need 100 to 400 times the RDI.

Breast tissue needs many times more iodine than the thyroid gland.

The average consumption of iodine from seaweed by the mainland Japanese is nearly 14 mg. They have some of the lowest incidence of iodine-deficiency diseases like goiter, hypothyroidism, and cancers of the reproductive system (breast, ovaries, and uterus). As our intake of iodine has declined, breast cancer has increased.

Instead of using seaweed to boost your iodine levels, you might consider taking an iodine supplement. Iodoral is a very good one. I get mine from amazon. Read the reviews if you wish. Love this stuff and I have really noticed improvement from it.

Iodoral.jpg

You may need 1 to 4 tablets of Iodoral, a combination of 5 mg of iodine and 7.5 mg of potassium iodide. Additional research finds that vitamin C improves the transport of iodine in the body, so it may be best to take Iodoral with Vitamin C.

Studies show that women who weigh about 110 pounds need at least 5 mg of iodine a day for normal breast function. If you’re heavier, you may need more.

Start off slowly over a 4 week period. Take 1 pill for 30 days

Then 2 pills for 30 days

Then maybe 3 for 30 days

Then 1 in morning and 1 in evening for 30 days

Can then go back to taking 1 or 2 a day to maintain

Your body will know....listen to it...

One Iodoral tablet provides 12.5 milligrams of iodine/iodide which is about the amount the average Japanese consumed in 1964 in their everyday diet.

Iodoral is the best way to get the recommended amount of iodine.

When we take 50 mg of iodine/iodide a day, it acts as an adaptogen, regulating various body functions.

Substances that interfere with iodine

Chlorine – present in most city water supplies – unless you de-chlorinate your water, you are being exposed to thyroid-lowering gases whenever you bathe, shower, or have a drink of water.

Fluorine

Bromide or Bromine – found in some pesticides – try to eat organic whenever possible

Bromide is even used in some asthma drugs

Mountain Dew, Fresca, and orange Gatorade all contain bromide in the form of brominated vegetable oils. Drinking beverages with bromide causes low thyroid function in some people.

These toxins are in our water, hot tubs, non-organic foods, and some soft drinks.

If you don’t have enough iodine, chances are you have too much fluoride and bromide. Sufficient iodine pulls these toxins out of your body.

Aspirin, blood thinner meds, and steroids can result in iodine deficiency thyroid problems. If you’re taking these, ask your doctor to check your thyroid function.

EAT MORE

Omega-3 fatty acids reduce breast tenderness, bloating, cramps, and PMS. Take a good fish oil, such as Carlson’s, as well as eating foods high in Omega-3s:

Walnuts

Chia Seeds

Fatty Fish like salmon, tuna, sardines

Omega-3 fatty acids reduce breast tenderness, bloating, cramps, and PMS.

Turn to natural diuretics - parsley, cucumbers, and cabbage are healthy for you and will keep you naturally flushed.

Increasing your intake of fiber can help control the hormonal fluctuations behind fibrocystic breast disease. Eat whole-wheat bread, brown rice, beans, and fruits.

Coenzyme Q10 helps remove toxins from the body and controls fibrocystic breasts

Helps fight cancer - It has been found to be low in people with cancer, but particularly breast cancer. Breast tumor tissues contain lower levels of CoQ10 than healthy breast tissue

Natural food sources: almonds, broccoli, potatoes, eggs, rice, spinach, and wheat

EAT LESS

Limit, as much as is possible, coffee, regular tea, colas, chocolate and any other foods that contain caffeine. Caffeine definitely increases fibrocystic breasts. Wish it weren't so ... :glare:

Foods high in Omega-6s (which cause inflammation)

Red meat - especially if it is produced by industrial farming techniques and if it does not carry an “omega-3†label

Dairy products

Eggs not marked “omega-3â€

Sunflower oil

Corn oil

Safflower oil

Soybean oil

SUPPLEMENTS

In many studies Evening Primrose Oil has shown to reduce size of lumps.

Some evidence suggests that evening primrose oil may reduce breast pain and tenderness in people with cyclic mastalgia. It may also help reduce symptoms to a lesser extent in people with non-cyclic mastalgia. However, it does not seem to be effective for severe breast pain.

Relieves peri-menopausal symptoms and PMS symptoms

Helps with mood swings, cramping, tiredness during periods

Don’t use EPO if you take an antiseizure Rx.

Take it on a full stomach in 2 divided doses, equally spaced during the day.

Take up to 500 mg EPO 2-3 times daily or no more than 2000-4000 mg total daily

Vitamin E is an antioxidant that protects breast tissue against fibrocystic breasts.

Reduces mood swings, anxiety, and menstrual pain

Take 400 IU of vitamin E a day. Take d-alpha, NOT dl-alpha

Vitamin B6 manages fluids and hormone levels

Works as a natural diuretic

May help fight breast cancer

Manages fluids and hormone levels, helping fight fibrocystic breast disease

Women are more likely to become deficient in B6 as they age

B6 requirements increase when high-protein diets are consumed.

Coenzyme Q10 helps remove toxins from the body and controls fibrocystic breasts

Helps fight cancer - It has been found to be low in people with cancer, but particularly breast cancer. Breast tumor tissues contain lower levels of CoQ10 than healthy breast tissue

Two-thirds of volunteers who consumed 200 mg daily cut their migraine attacks in half.

Consider taking CoQ10 if you are over 35

HTH :grouphug: - this is all the info I have on fibrocystic bre@st stuff. If you or anyone needs info on bre@st cancer (and trust me, I have maybe TOO much info), I can post here.