Menu

What art supplies do you keep on hand

For your preschoolers especially, but for all ages? I am making a shopping list :D

This what we have:

Crayons

colored pencils

water colors

finger paint

construction paper

markers

color wonder markers and paper

play doh

I also have lots of scraps from scrap booking that the kids are free to use

glitter glue

pasta of different shapes

I'm going by memory, since we're on the way to a bridal shower for the girls' dance teachers (both are getting married in August!), so here goes...

tempera paint, brushes, mixing palates, construction paper, tape, stickers, glue, pencils, crayons, markers, water colors, yarn, aluminum foil, sandpaper, glitter, googlie eyes, funky scissors, punches, chalk, Q-tips, fuzzy balls, pipe cleaners in assorted colors, cupcake holders

I know there is more but I can't remember. If you need more ideas, I will go look in the art cabinet tonight when I get home!

Acrylic paint

watercolor paints

assortment of paintbrushes

plain paper

construction paper

scissors

yarn, ribbon

markers

small .99c wooden vehicles etc. from craft store to paint

glue stick

tape

various boxes, paper towel tubes

tin foil

pipe cleaners

larger beads that can be threaded on pipe cleaners or yarn

playdough-store bought or homeade

old t-shirts for painting in, and old sheets for working on the floor

Yep, what they said! Too much!!

I love prismacolors, because they are a little softer and easier to color with.

I've got lots of paint from Rainbow Resources (shipping would be expensive if it weren't for that $150 break they give!). I particularly like their "tempra" paint and the sampler of the liquid watercolors. Did anyone mention clay or Magic Mud? It's great stuff. I also like the self-drying crayola stuff.

I like pastels, too--both chalk and oil. And, I like to have a pad of real watercolor paper, since it feels so nice to draw on and use the watercolors on. I also have a big bunch of colored cardstock, and tons of construction paper (the sulfite is particularly nice). You can never have too much white of anything--paint, paper, glue!

I also like to have a bag of fabric scraps (I just cut up old clothes, or, very occasionally, may buy a pair of corduroy pants, for example, at a garage sale for a quarter) and a bag of feathers. I also like having a few stamp pads around (I usually make my own out of paper towels and paint, but the real thing is fun and easy). I keep a box of gadgets to print with, too--a few old keys, a stray fork, a spool, an old shoe, etc.)

I love art, and I love to have lots and lots of "stuff!"

We have:

Crayons

colored pencils

drawing pencils

markers (several brands)

sketchpads

construction paper

card stock

stamping supplies uses w/permission

glue, glue and more glue

paint brushes

old coffee mugs and cups for water

roll of brown paper (the kind for wrapping packages)

erasers

pencil sharpeners

metal rulers

old magazines for pictures

yarn

craft paint

old scrap boards from dh (No green boards, those are treated)

sandpaper

This what we have:

Crayons

colored pencils

water colors

finger paint

construction paper

markers

color wonder markers and paper

play doh

I also have lots of scraps from scrap booking that the kids are free to use

glitter glue

pasta of different shapes

googly eyes

tissue paper of various colours

ribbon

fabric scraps

$$$ Store finds -- letters, beads, curly hair

air dry clay

letter stampers

pipe cleaners

National Geographic magazines for collage.

That's about it for us

Wow! What awesome mommies y'all are!!! I stand in awe! I'm not nearly as "artsy" or organized with art projects. We find ourselves digging around all the time, trying to make things work b/c we don't have the item our lesson is calling for. Something we have done is to save the middles of toilet paper and paper towel rolls, which are useful for a lot of projects, it seems (noisemakers, candy holders, limbs for paper mache projects, etc.).

Where do you keep all of your art stuff? Maybe I could see myself keeping more supplies on hand if I had an easily accessible place to organize it. :bigear:

crayons, lots and lots of crayons. I will add markers when we stop coloring our feet, arms, walls, couch.....

lots of coloring books, papers

slowly adding scissors (blunt ends of course)

lots of color wonders coloring paper and books when I find them on sale or clearance or have % off at kohls.

spray bottles for water spraying the fence and drive ways keeps my 2 year old busy.

sidewalk chalk with holders

waterpaints ( just starting this)

when dd gets older we'll add beads, yarn, glue, glitter etc.

Wow! What awesome mommies y'all are!!! I stand in awe! I'm not nearly as "artsy" or organized with art projects. We find ourselves digging around all the time, trying to make things work b/c we don't have the item our lesson is calling for. Something we have done is to save the middles of toilet paper and paper towel rolls, which are useful for a lot of projects, it seems (noisemakers, candy holders, limbs for paper mache projects, etc.).

Where do you keep all of your art stuff? Maybe I could see myself keeping more supplies on hand if I had an easily accessible place to organize it. :bigear:

I keep all art stuff in a plastic container in the closet. I keep crayons and coloring books in the cupboard because these keep dd busy while I clean.

WOW! I don't have to type as much because everyone else already has. But, I would like to add:

popscicle sticks

extra tape and scissors (you never have too many)

and Fiskars scissors are excellent!

coffee filters

wallpaper scraps (you can get them free at wallpapr stores, just ask if they have any outdated books you can have)

When my daughter was younger I called her "The Queen of Crafts. " She was ALWAYS making something. I didn't have the money for many "Real supplies," so I bought the few essentials at the local dollar store (and yard sales) and started saving everything I thought she might use. It is amazing all the "Cool" packaging we just throw in the trash. Everything from plastic, to carboard, to egg cartons.

As far as where to store it. I organized the "Better" items either in plastic boxes with lids, file organizers, baskets, on shelves, hanging pocket organizers,etc. It just depended on where we were living and what I had available. All the "Junk" supplies, (the recycled stuff) and a few of the items like yarn, etc. I would put in a BIG container. That was HER craft box that she could use at anytime without asking permission to use certain items. This kept her from using up "The good stuff" that we needed for specific projects/times yet allowed her the freedom to "Create" at her leisure. I have to say it has had wonderful results. Not only was she able to pursue her artistic side freely, she also gaied confidence and indpendence, because her "Masterpieces" were totally hers. No one had to help. VERY RARELY have I had to help her with any of her own ventures. At age 10, she still has a box of "Stuff" now moved to the garage. But she is more mature and better able to understand what she can "Use up" and what she needs to be more sparing with. Also, her "Creating" is more mature now, so it doesn't seem like things are just being wasted. I know some would argue that it is not wasted if they are enjoying it, but I can't financially afford to totally agree with that. LOL

We brought home a little desk that sits in our kitchen area -- 6 drawers keep everything together and an art closet close by holds the bigger items.

I was inspired by a poster here, about having art supplies accessible -- instead of turning to the computer or easy entertainment, my kiddies gravitate towards the art stuff. Once the ball gets rolling, it quickly and effortlessly picks up steam.

Tricia

Yep, what they said! Too much!!

I love prismacolors, because they are a little softer and easier to color with.

I've got lots of paint from Rainbow Resources (shipping would be expensive if it weren't for that $150 break they give!). I particularly like their "tempra" paint and the sampler of the liquid watercolors. Did anyone mention clay or Magic Mud? It's great stuff. I also like the self-drying crayola stuff.

I like pastels, too--both chalk and oil. And, I like to have a pad of real watercolor paper, since it feels so nice to draw on and use the watercolors on. I also have a big bunch of colored cardstock, and tons of construction paper (the sulfite is particularly nice). You can never have too much white of anything--paint, paper, glue!

I also like to have a bag of fabric scraps (I just cut up old clothes, or, very occasionally, may buy a pair of corduroy pants, for example, at a garage sale for a quarter) and a bag of feathers. I also like having a few stamp pads around (I usually make my own out of paper towels and paint, but the real thing is fun and easy). I keep a box of gadgets to print with, too--a few old keys, a stray fork, a spool, an old shoe, etc.)

I love art, and I love to have lots and lots of "stuff!"

You've offered some great ideas for print-making -- I'm going to collect some of those items for our children.

I've been meaning to buy some "real" watercolour paper -

Thank you for chiming in.

Tricia

For your preschoolers especially, but for all ages? I am making a shopping list :D

the best thing we ever did was set up a little easel with the tray on a covered porch. The dowel at the top held a roll of paper or we would tape a few sheets up. Keep a set of the covered paint cups with matching brushes ("blue brush goes back in the blue top") and a cup for water on the tray. Ds was happy for ages and did some wonderful pictures.

I would tape them up at his eye level all the way down the hall.

Very little clean up with the covered cups because the paint stays moist for a long time. You can use a big plastic mat if you need but we had a concrete floor so it didn't matter.

He could be as free and creative as he liked. Love all the other supply ideas too but at this age it was fun to let him just paint.

...of everything from sand to unpopped popcorn to corks to feathers to sequins to strawberry baskets for print-making and for making mosaics and collages; plus art paper, fingerpaint paper, newsprint, construction paper, cardboard, Play Doh, modeling clay, many kinds of markers, paints, crayons, pens, pencils, glue sticks and glues, paintbrushes, toothbrushes (great for spatter-painting), paint cups, cotton swabs, golf balls (roll them in paint & then across paper that has been place in the bottom of a shallow box), old magazines, google eyes, cotton batting, cloth scraps, stickers, stamps & stamp pads, staplers, tisue paper in lots of colors, beads, scissors that cut various zigzags & scallops, hole punches, glitter, string, yarn, stencils, colored chalk, toilet tissue & paper towel tubes, ribbons, brads & fasteners, several kinds of tape, and a lot more that I've forgotten was in there. ;)

I've got:

Painting type supplies: Tempera paints, watercolors, finger paints, watercolor crayons, brushes of various sizes, plastic smocks, large ink pads, smaller ink pads, lots of big stamps--letter, animals, shapes, etc., some small stamps

Drawing & coloring supplies: Crayons (lots of these--regular, glittery, smelly, neon, etc, etc), nice colored pencils, think chalk, fat sidewalk chalk, cheap colored pencils, think markers, fat markers, "Do-A-Dot" markers, pencils, pens, drawing paper in various sizes

Craft dough: lots of colors, plus tools, rollers, plastic knives, wooden mallets, cookie cutters, etc.

Various collage materials: pompons, foam shapes, googly eyes, colored pasta, doll hair, pipe cleaners, popsicle type craft sticks, sequins, glitter, cardboard collage shapes, cardboard "people", tissue paper, shells, buttons, stickers--gajillions of stickers, paper grass, ribbon, cloth scraps, beads, found items (toilet paper rolls, small boxes, egg cartons, coffee cans, etc.)

Craft tools:Scissors, fancy "edging" scissors in lots of patterns, sticker maker (laminator), tape, glue, rulers, hole punches

Paper: Drawing paper, construction paper, watercolor paper, fingerpaint paper, newsprint on rolls, light-sensitive paper, wrapping paper, crepe paper

Random things: Lanyard making things, "sun catcher" kits, shrinky-dinks, foam figure sets (like for Christmas, etc.)

It's all sorted in containers, pretty well labelled. Looks like a lot when I write it all out! Of course, this is in addition to my OWN craft stuff, which is fairly extensive.

Thank you everyone!!! I really like the idea of having an art box with some stuff they can access anytime and then have some other ( good stuff) put up for use when I am able to supervise it better. I know if just left everything in reach they would go through it all in a day or two LOL.

I can't wait to shop now! :)

the best thing we ever did was set up a little easel with the tray on a covered porch. The dowel at the top held a roll of paper or we would tape a few sheets up. Keep a set of the covered paint cups with matching brushes ("blue brush goes back in the blue top") and a cup for water on the tray. Ds was happy for ages and did some wonderful pictures.

I would tape them up at his eye level all the way down the hall.

Very little clean up with the covered cups because the paint stays moist for a long time. You can use a big plastic mat if you need but we had a concrete floor so it didn't matter.

He could be as free and creative as he liked. Love all the other supply ideas too but at this age it was fun to let him just paint.

I like this idea, too. Hopefully I can find an easle at a yard sale this summer.