Menu

Any Norwegians here? Need main dish recipes that travel well.

Our 4H club has chosen Norway for their International Night club project. We need to bring a Norwegian dish to serve that we can make ahead and that isn't expensive. We will not have kitchen facilities where we will be, but will have electrical outlets. Most of what I remember from childhood was either roasted game or fish, which does not work for cost nor making ahead. All I can think of is potet klub (potato dumplings) made ahead and kept moist in the crock pot or pea soup. None of these sound terribly appetizing to me. We are having a taste-testing at our meeting tomorrow to decide what our club will bring next week.

I happen to have a Norwegian friend staying with us right now! I asked her as she was putting her daughter to bed, but right off the bat, she mentioned Rice Porridge. She said a quick google search should bring up a good recipe.

They use it for a main dish as well as a dessert. And, at Christmas, they add an almond to it and whoever gets the almond gets a prize!

I happen to have a Norwegian friend staying with us right now! I asked her as she was putting her daughter to bed, but right off the bat, she mentioned Rice Porridge. She said a quick google search should bring up a good recipe.

They use it for a main dish as well as a dessert. And, at Christmas, they add an almond to it and whoever gets the almond gets a prize!

Thanks so much. This helps. Off to buy some ingredients.

Lutefisk :D

Bïll

I thought of that too, but then I decided that you may want to bring foods that

1. someone may actually want to eat :eek:

and

2. won't chase everyone out of the room, hurling, from the rotten fish smell. :ack2:

LOL

Watch and find out:). So, for argument's sake, how would you eat it? I'm thinking maybe we should have some on hand, but can't figure out where I would buy some locally. I don't have time to go into the city to get it.

I know you can buy it in a jar in many specialty markets especially ones that sell Scandinavian style foods. BUT, if you do, make sure it is true lutefisk and not cod/whitefish. IT isn't lutefisk unless it reeks!

Watch and find out:). So, for argument's sake, how would you eat it? I'm thinking maybe we should have some on hand, but can't figure out where I would buy some locally. I don't have time to go into the city to get it.

I'd eat it with potatoes and peas, or with folk (depending on your question) :D

Not with my fingers like Alton "not as bad as it looks" Brown. I died when he tossed the remains. What a dope! :tongue_smilie:

Bill

Well, the rice porridge was a hit. I bought lingonberry preserves for a topping. We had a new family join our group who happen to be Norwegian. How funny that their first meeting should be the one with Norwegian food. But, alas, ours was not chosen to be the food we will be serving. It came in close second to the leek soup (not my favorite.)