Menu

Any vegans/mostly vegans (whole foods) who avoid gluten?

pehp

How do you stay full?

I try to eat a whole foods, mostly-vegan (I do eat local eggs, some venison, some salmon or local trout here and there) diet.....but I'm trying to cut out processed grains. My son is gluten-free (ASD) and I've been trying to cut back on bread. The only problem is that it leaves me STARVING! on the plus side, this is great for losing some weight (i've got a little to lose). On the minus side, I don't like the feeling of not really being full enough. Lentils and beans help, but I'm still hungry not long after eating....unless I eat bread. (Potatoes don't even do it!) I don't want to eat bread at *every* meal. I've noticed that it fills me up, but makes me feel sort of tired. And I'm also transitioning away from any refined sugar--another little filler-upper.

Anyone out there eat mostly vegan but avoid gluten? How do you stay full?

Brown rice and oatmeal are good (is oatmeal gluten free?), nuts and nut butter. Sometimes I eat non-hydrogenated nut butter just plain by the spoonful, a teaspoon at a time. It's very filling. I also eat lots of fruit and huge amounts of greens. I put lettuces in the food processor and puree it into a green "gazpacho." It's amazing how many fresh greens I can consume this way. Dr. Fuhrman (eat to live) recommends 1 lb + a day of greens, at least half raw.

:bigear: I'll be watching this as my DH wants to try and cut out gluten just to see if he sees any difference. This means I have to do it with him because he just doesn't have the willpower to do it alone. :svengo: I love bread. :(

I have no idea how to cut all gluten out of our diet, but I will say that I snack on fruits, veggies and nuts to keep me satisfied all day. And I drink a lot of water. Smoothies are another good option to fill you up.

Some ideas:

- Protien powder in a smoothie in the morning, along with some coconut oil.

- Put nuts on a hot cereal (you can make a gluten free one using quinoa, buckwheat, ect. Look up top 20 quinoa recipies on allrecipes.com, you'll find a yummy hot cereal recipe).

- For an easy gluten free and high protien flat bread, look up a recipe for socca. It's made of chickpea flour, so lots of protien there.

- Nut butters on rice cakes.

If you're dying for bread, you can get gluten free bread mixes, or buy gluten free bread. I prefer going for the mixes, as I only like it right out of the oven.

thank you all.

I'm sort of a gluten-free expert (do a ton of GF baking) b/c my son is GF/CF and has been for 2.5 years. So I've become an old hand at it. But it's the processed grains in general that I'm trying to sort of avoid--breads, even if GF, make me feel ick. The whole grains make me feel much better, but leave me ravenously hungry. Should have clarified that in my original post---I don't have celiac so I do eat gluten, I'm just trying to transition away from bread-y things in general.

I'm still trying to figure this out. I eat nut butter at breakfast each day. That helps until lunchtime. I like to eat a big salad at lunch and I load it up with chickpeas or other beans....plus some pecans, dressing, raisins....and I'm usually starving by 3 pm. I love quinoa but it just doesn't fill me up 'all the way.'

Maybe I should try smoothies.

I'm also further confused as to what I should do in terms of dietary tweaking, b/c I have just learned I am severely deficient in Vit D. It's probably not something that can be completely cured via diet (it is Seriously Low), and I already get a lot of sunlight....so I'm starting to take supplements while waiting to see an endocrinologist....but now I am wondering if maybe I should make sure I am still eating some animal products. Those do help in terms of being filling--a bit of Greek yogurt, an egg or two.....but I prefer eating vegan foods, feel that I digest them better.

So we shall see. I give my son a lot of smoothies--maybe it's time for me hop on board.

Most people do not get much vitamin D from diet, even with animal foods. I think only fatty ocean fish has vitamin D in it. I was also seriously low on vitamin D and I have always been an omnivore. Something like 95% of the US population is low on vitamin D. I live in a climate where the sun is not strong enough to produce vitamin D for at least half the year, so I'm not likely to get enough from the sun, either. I'd just supplement the D, and put more fat and maybe protein on that salad.

I cook gluten free vegan (almost a week now ;)) and the first thing we noticed is that all of us have noticed that we are full as opposed to how we were before the change (foraging for food right after eating).

I am cooking a fair amount of risotto for breakfast and that is what I am attributing the fullness to.

If you are interested in a mostly vegan, gluten free diet why not read "Eat to Live?" It is not gluten free but he recommends avoiding bread and definitely processed grain so it essentially is gluten free.

Here is an example of what I ate yesterday. I didn't feel hungry at all. My milk was low so I had some bread at night to add calories, but i wasn't hungry. (I sometimes log food to make sure I'm eating enough cal for BFing which is why I have this list.)

breakfast

4 cups red leaf lettuce (pureed in food processor)

1/2 cup dry whole oats cooked with 2 cups water and 1/4 cup golden raisins (I've found cooking grains with extra water makes you feel fuller)

banana

lunch

4 cups red leaf lettuce (pureed)

orange

avocado

baby carrots

1 tbs peanut butter

dinner

oranges

oatmeal w/ raisins as before

2 chicken thighs

1 tbs peanut butter

This is about 1600 calories and I wasn't hungry at all, but then had some bread to get me closer to 2000 (my daily goal while BFing)

Maybe you could eat a lot more fruit and stuff yourself with greens? Try for a pound of greens a day.

ETL recommends not going above 10% of your daily intake as animal foods.

If you are interested in a mostly vegan, gluten free diet why not read "Eat to Live?" It is not gluten free but he recommends avoiding bread and definitely processed grain so it essentially is gluten free.

Here is an example of what I ate yesterday. I didn't feel hungry at all. My milk was low so I had some bread at night to add calories, but i wasn't hungry. (I sometimes log food to make sure I'm eating enough cal for BFing which is why I have this list.)

breakfast

4 cups red leaf lettuce (pureed in food processor)

1/2 cup dry whole oats cooked with 2 cups water and 1/4 cup golden raisins (I've found cooking grains with extra water makes you feel fuller)

banana

lunch

4 cups red leaf lettuce (pureed)

orange

avocado

baby carrots

1 tbs peanut butter

dinner

oranges

oatmeal w/ raisins as before

2 chicken thighs

1 tbs peanut butter

This is about 1600 calories and I wasn't hungry at all, but then had some bread to get me closer to 2000 (my daily goal while BFing)

Maybe you could eat a lot more fruit and stuff yourself with greens? Try for a pound of greens a day.

ETL recommends not going above 10% of your daily intake as animal foods.

How do you prepare your pureed leafs? Do you mix anything else with it and drink it?