Menu

To Pinterest, or not to Pinterest ... That is the question

At first, it does take some time to get used to and you're all excited about it and all. Maybe for a week or so.

Then, I have found it to be a wonderful way to relax, get inspired, get ideas, etc. when you have a few minutes. I use it mainly when I'm online with a cup of tea OR when the dc are doing independent work. It doesn't take up much of my time and I absolutely love it.

I've gotten great recipes, find many of the boards inspiring, etc. Lots and lots of benefits. :)

I had the exact same questions as you a few months ago and posted an exactly similar thread. I'm glad that I decided to pinterest. :)

I use it mainly to pin ideas for the kids - either for school or just fun things. I also post ideas for utilizing small spaces since I'm always looking for ways to make our tiny house work better.

Once you follow some people with similar interests as yours it becomes a lot easier. The "home" page will be all the things the people you follow have posted and I get a lot of my new pins there. Then I usually just look at the education board and the humor board.

At first, it does take some time to get used to and you're all excited about it and all. Maybe for a week or so.

Then, I have found it to be a wonderful way to relax, get inspired, get ideas, etc. when you have a few minutes. I use it mainly when I'm online with a cup of tea OR when the dc are doing independent work. It doesn't take up much of my time and I absolutely love it.

I've gotten great recipes, find many of the boards inspiring, etc. Lots and lots of benefits. :)

I had the exact same questions as you a few months ago and posted an exactly similar thread. I'm glad that I decided to pinterest. :)

:iagree:

Once I binged on pinterest for a week or two and got a bunch of boards set up, it hasn't been a huge time suck. I use the pin it tool in place of bookmarking many sites now. My bookmarks were always a mess, but I keep things pretty organized on pinterest.

I have boards for house stuff, organizing things and running the home, recipes, homeschool general resources, science projects, HS ideas for each individual kid, toddler fine motor activities, gift ideas for upcoming birthdays, etc.

I find it useful. I'm a visual person and it works well for me to organize my links this way.

I also enjoy looking at house stuff, etc. with a cup of tea or coffee. I have always enjoyed perusing home decorating magazines. Now there's so much stuff on pinterest I feel no need to really buy myself a magazine.

I'm iffy on Pinterest. I just pinned something I actually did, so that's an improvement.

However they could use this as their tag line: Pinterest - How to feel inadequate in the areas of life you never knew existed. :tongue_smilie:

I guess it depends on if you get inspired or depressed by seeing other great things.

So how do you all use Pinterest?

Can you do it without having it suck away hours of time?

How has Pinterest proved to be a benefit to you?

I am an idea person that learns visually. I gather tons of info and then do stuff. It's like having a ton of magazines at my disposal. I can pick and choose the cool stuff, make boards, pin and then go back and put together what I want to do (or not). I "percolate" info so just seeing ideas and reading briefly about them gets my own creativity flowing. I've "done" dozens of things I've pinned (just purchased "Bounce" to dust my 12" kickboards-:lol:

It's benefitted me- great visual ideas. We are re-building from a house fire and I've gotten TONS of ideas about specific areas of our home that we are doing ourselves- stairs, attic, etc.

The kids and I have had a blast laughing at my "things that make me laugh" and "may the force be with you" boards. We love visual humor!

I've gotten GREAT sites/ ideas for homeschooling. My dd9 co-op class just made "blood" for their body unit because of a pin I forwarded to her teacher. I'm also teaching writing and art and I've been able to pull tons of stuff together for my classes.

My dd 21 and I have had a blast looking at styles/ nails and hair together (she's finishing a cosmotology program) and have had fun sharing pins. It's been fun!

I've been a quote collector for decades. I have a quote board, a "PaxRoMomma" and a "faith walking" board where I've gathered quotes specific to areas of my life.

It's easy to manage if you keep in mind that it's like any on-line community: A. It's not real. B. Make of it what you want.

I'm on it on and off, kind of like TWTM boards (though TWTM boards/community IS real- right?!)

I don't feel any pressure to make boards that others want to follow, but I'm really happy if others find my pins helpful or fun!