Menu

Pinterest... HOW did I get a follower???

When I set up my Pinterest a few months ago, I set the privacy settings so that my account is NOT linked to Facebook or Twitter. My profile is hidden from search engines. My intention was to set up a Pinterest profile for ME only. I wanted to upload pictures of recipes so that I could use Pinterest as a type of visual recipe book. The only things I've pinned are two recipes; one has been repinned by 3 other people, none of whom I have ever heard of. And I have a follower, a woman who happens to be an acquaintance and FB friend. I don't understand repinning. These people who have repinned my recipe--does that mean that they saw my pin and "shared" it on their own Pinterest board? Or does it mean that they just happened to pin the same recipe I pinned, but didn't see mine? This is freaking me out because I did not join Pinterest so that I could "follow" and anyone or have anyone "follow" me. I just wanted to use it as a visual "favorites" list for myself. :confused:

Edited by ereks mom

I've looked up topics on pinterest on tons of pictures come up from people's boards that I don't even know. I think what you post is public, but when you go into pinterest, what shows up on the main page are the people you follow.

It could be that the people who repinned it were searching for a recipe by that name or for a certain ingredient.

All pins show up on the main page as well as in the searches. So if someone searched a word and your pin was labelled with that word then it links to your board.

If you don't want the social part then just save inspiration photos you find on the net to a file on your computer.

:confused: I guess I'm going to have to delete my account. I don't like people I don't know "following" me. This makes me very uncomfortable.

When someone searches for something in particular, they might find your recipe in that manner.

If you are concerned about privacy, you can change your user name on Pinterest to something anonymous, then no one is seeing anything that identifies you in any way. You do NOT have to have your real name on your profile even if that is what you used to sign up with.

It is a pretty public thing, but as long as it is not linked to twitter, facebook, etc you can still maintain anonymity fairly well.

All of your boards and pin are public on Pinterest. Anyone can see them. If someone sees a picture that you've pinned they can click on your name and see all of your boards. Then they can follow a single board or all of your boards. There is no way to privatize it and I don't really see any need to. It isn't tied to anything. It just means that they can look at your boards.