Menu

When to mark wrong and not allow corrections?

My DD is eleven and a half, doing mixed level work but generally at a sixth grade level. She is behind in math - almost done with Singapore 3A. Math was easy for her until we tried public school. They were dong New Math and she had been taught traditional math per TWTM. The long and the short of it is that the school labeled her as behind in math and it took almost two years of deschooling to get her to try math again.

She hates review of any kind and generally gets how things work on the first go. Singapore is a great match for her. This year we had some problems with the introduction of multiplication and division but that seems to be behind us.

My question is, when do I mark her incorrect answers as wrong and not give her the chance to correct them? Normally I go over an exercises and she might have one or two wrong. We sit down and do the problem until she gets it correct. Normally it's something like she forgot she carried/borrowed.

Thanks in advance!

My question is, when do I mark her incorrect answers as wrong and not give her the chance to correct them? Normally I go over an exercises and she might have one or two wrong. We sit down and do the problem until she gets it correct. Normally it's something like she forgot she carried/borrowed.

I do not see any reason not to allow a child correction on daily work. I expect my kids to correct every single wrong problem. That's how they learn. If they never made mistakes, I'd know they are not challenged.

The only time where there is no opportunity for correction is their single comprehensive final exam at the end of the semester on which I base their grade.

My question is, when do I mark her incorrect answers as wrong and not give her the chance to correct them?

I always have my kids correct their work. I might be misunderstanding, so please forgive me if that's the case, but are you having to keep grades for some reason? It seems that you're asking when you let a grade stand, and when you give a child a chance to redo the work to earn a better grade. Is that correct? I don't track grades for my kids until they get to high school. My younger kids always redo their work until they get it correct.

If they take a math test and give it to me for grading, I'll go over it, and mark the answers that are incorrect. Then I hand it back to them and expect them to redo the problems they missed. My 11th grader is the only one whose grades get tracked for my own record-keeping. I'll copy her grade down in my spreadsheet, but I still expect her to correct any problems she missed.

Hopefully that makes sense!

I can tell you our ps even requires the kids to correct their tests, at least in el school. I don't know how it impacts their final grade, but they must fix and submit all errors. The only time we don't at least go over mistakes is when I get swamped and work gets buried, time passes, and I don't realize we never checked the work. Brownie

My question is, when do I mark her incorrect answers as wrong and not give her the chance to correct them?

My answer is "never." The point, to me, of my kids doing math is to learn math, not to make a grade. If you go over your dd's incorrect answers and help her identify what she did wrong, it can help her be more aware next time. It also helps her identify her own errors, which is an important skill. When I go over math with my kids, the first thing I do is have them try to find their own error. I don't think it's good for a child to develop an "I got it wrong, oh well," attitude. I see that in my schooled child. When she gets things wrong on assignments, she just shrugs. She doesn't correct them or even try to find out what she did wrong because there's no "pay-off" (higher grade) for her.

Tara

This is actually an easy one. :)

You correct it and "fossilize" the result in the form of a grade whenever you test knowledge - at the end of each unit, or semester, or only at the end of the year, in accordance with your testing philosophy and approach. Some people like to base the grade on numerous small tests spread throughout the year, others do a single exam and call it a day. However you decide, those you do not allow to be corrected the way that it changes anything - sure, you go over the mistakes with the kids, or have them write a separate correction, or, if you do oral follow-ups of written exams, the first questions you ask are the ones regarding what they messed up in the written part of the exam, so it is not "ignored", but the result IS fossilized into a grade before you get back to it. The result does not change based on the corrections which took place. Because it was a test, not regular work.

For everything else, for the "learning stage" (how are they supposed to learn if not by making a lot of mistakes along the way?) rather than the "testing stage", you mark it incorrect and they correct, but it is not graded.

:iagree: What they said.

I always have Indy correct what he got wrong. I mark them with a red X (I loves my red pencil!), write the grade at the top of the paper if it's a test (if it's not a test I don't), hand it back and tell him to correct them. If I just tell him he got them wrong and don't have him go over them, what's the point in checking it all?

This is actually an easy one. :)

You correct it and "fossilize" the result in the form of a grade whenever you test knowledge - at the end of each unit, or semester, or only at the end of the year, in accordance with your testing philosophy and approach. Some people like to base the grade on numerous small tests spread throughout the year, others do a single exam and call it a day. However you decide, those you do not allow to be corrected the way that it changes anything - sure, you go over the mistakes with the kids, or have them write a separate correction, or, if you do oral follow-ups of written exams, the first questions you ask are the ones regarding what they messed up in the written part of the exam, so it is not "ignored", but the result IS fossilized into a grade before you get back to it. The result does not change based on the corrections which took place. Because it was a test, not regular work.

For everything else, for the "learning stage" (how are they supposed to learn if not by making a lot of mistakes along the way?) rather than the "testing stage", you mark it incorrect and they correct, but it is not graded.

I really like the way you said this, Ester Maria. I never "grade" homework. I dislike the way our ps does it and can't wait for next year.:001_smile:

I do not see any reason not to allow a child correction on daily work. I expect my kids to correct every single wrong problem. That's how they learn. If they never made mistakes, I'd know they are not challenged.

The only time where there is no opportunity for correction is their single comprehensive final exam at the end of the semester on which I base their grade.

Whole heartedly :iagree:

If they never made mistakes, I'd know they are not challenged.

Thanks for the great reminder! Sometimes I get frustrated when I see so many mistakes in my dd's math homework, but at least I know she is being "challenged".

We consider homework "practice" of new concepts so I never issue a grade for homework, but I correct all homework and dd has to go back and re-do every problem she gets wrong. The curriculum we use has built in quizzes and tests and those are graded before corrections are made and a grade is issued.