Menu

Could someone recommend a child's dictionary to me?

mhblue5

We used the Scholastic Children's Dictionary, which was fine, but I would say she outgrew it and was ready for a "real" dictionary in about a year. If I had to do it over again, I would buy a nice college dictionary and borrow a children's dictionary from the library to introduce the use of a dictionary. Both my kids love flipping through the dictionary (and thesaurus - thanks Classical Writing) for fun, and we've had to buy a super big dictionary for this year (ages 10 and 13).

My kids have several (people just keep giving them to us!), and honestly, they've never used any of them very much. They aren't thorough enough to be that useful, imo.

Funny dictionary story: the other day, dd7 asked dad what a certain word meant. He wasn't sure, and said, of course, "Let's look it up."

Whereupon he walked toward the dictionary, and dd walked toward the computer!

We used the Scholastic Children's Dictionary, which was fine, but I would say she outgrew it and was ready for a "real" dictionary in about a year. If I had to do it over again, I would buy a nice college dictionary and borrow a children's dictionary from the library to introduce the use of a dictionary. Both my kids love flipping through the dictionary (and thesaurus - thanks Classical Writing) for fun, and we've had to buy a super big dictionary for this year (ages 10 and 13).

I bought a nice MW Elementary Dictionary and ds outgrew in one year, IOW words that we needed weren't in it.

I have a friend move and gave us this huge unabridged hardback webster dictionary, we have more fun with that one.

Yes. We've been very pleased with the American Heritage Student Dictionary

We have the McGraw-Hill Children's Dictionary, and I don't like it at all. It doesn't have half the words we need to find, and the phonetic spelling doesn't use standard notation. It's just too simplified to be useful.