Menu

SOTW 1 with a 5th grader

joyfulhomeschooler

Do you all think a 5th grader would still enjoy SOTW 1 with the activities in the activity guide or do you think that the activities are too juvenile for that age? We own it and I am not ready to use it yet. We have other curriculum that needs to be used up first. So I am planning on waiting a year and then using it. I really don't want it going to waste. We have the audio, activity guide, and book. It would be such a waste to not get to use it.

I will be doing SOTW vol 1 again next year with a 5th grader and a 3rd grader. The (will be) 5th grader did vol. 1 when she was in 1st grade. This time around it is more for the 3rd grader who was only 4 the first time we did it. I do not think my 5th grader will be into the coloring pages and I do not the mapwork and narrations are enough for 5th grade. But I do know she will enjoy the hands on projects and will be doing them with her sister.

I will be adding to her workload. For the most part she will actually be doing history from the logic stage of WTM. But since I am doing SOTW1 with her sis, she will be along for listening to the read alouds and doing hands on projects.

I think it would totally depend on the kid. I'm using SOTW with 4th and 6th this year. Neither of them are into the coloring or activities. I do still use the activity guide every day though. I use the questions/answers, the narration section for the 4th grader, and it is handy to have the page numbers of coinciding books we have and use, Usborne's Encyclopedia and Kingfisher World History, right there. :) I also use the tests (bought separately) and for the 6th grader assign extra reading, notebooking, and timeline work. I did use the maps in the activity guide when they were younger, but have switched to MapTrek maps now that they are older. You could totally still use the maps though. Probably just substituting 'use a colored pencil' for 'use a crayon' would help make the maps more appropriate for an older student. MapTrek maps do ask for more details to be filled in though.

My 11 year old enjoys it. Some of the recommended books and activities are a little young but there are still plenty that are great for that age I think. (And on the flip side I think most of it is too OLD for a K/1st grader even though it recommends that and that like 3rd to 6th is perfect for it)! That varies per kid of course though. Plenty of people here agree with me on that, and yet there are also plenty who say their youngers really enjoy it and do get stuff out of it, so who knows!