Menu

Yogurt Question

I don't like plain yogurt. Yuck :ack2: I don't care how much fruit I put in it I still don't like it.

Is flavored yogurt really that bad? I have a greek yogurt that as around 18 grams of sugar. If I make 8 oz of plain greek yogurt with strawberries I still get around 18 grams of sugar.

I know that one is 6oz and one is 8oz. One gets it's sugar from strawberries and one from white sugar.

Still, I can't stand plain yogurt. Do I just have to get used to it?

I like to eat yogurt for breakfast or snacks. Lately it has been dessert since I know how "bad" the flavored stuff is.

I buy a large size of the plain and a large size of the vanilla and mix it half and half. Then I add fruit. That makes it much better without getting all of the bad from flavored yogurt. Dh still tends to add a packet of splenda because it still isn't sweet enough for him.

Oh, excellent idea. I'm going to try that 50/50 mix. That might help and maybe I can transition to plain yogurt someday.

I'm not a big Splenda person and I hate to add sugar to the plain because then I feel like I should have just bought the sugar stuff anyway.

Thanks! Kelly

I weaned myself to plain. I think the key was that I was also reducing sugar in everything else I ate, so my palate adjusted to expect less sweetness. Like a PP, I started with half plain and half vanilla. I get the big yogurt containers, and use frozen berries to make yogurt parfaits or fruit-on-the-bottom grab-and-go cups. Sometimes I puree the berries in the food processor, just to mix things up a bit.

With the "real fruit" you also get more fiber, the food is more filling, and the fiber helps keep the glycemic index in check.

Well I was never a big fan of plain either when I bought the little commercialized cups. They were always so sour/bitter. I agree with the other poster about the greek yogurt. For some reason, it doesn't taste as bad as regular. I drizzle some raw honey on it to give some sweetness but it's not nearly as much as what is in the presweetened stuff and personally I feel honey is better than sugar anyways.

The other thing is that I've found when I make homemade, it also turns out much sweeter/fresher/less sour tasting than the commercial stuff. I have a yogurt maker and I found that between 6-7 hours set the yogurt but is still has a sweeter taste, if I run it for 8-9 hours it's more sour like the store stuff. So you might want to try making your own as another option.

If you want the goodness of yogurt but hate the taste - then mix it into a smoothie. YUM!!! Try Fage greek yogurt. Insanely good. The Chiobani lemon is also awesome.

I do make smoothies. Love them and I find I don't mind the plain yogurt in those. Maybe because the fruit is well mixed in and I usually add in a banana with the other fruit for extra sweetness.

The other thing is that I've found when I make homemade, it also turns out much sweeter/fresher/less sour tasting than the commercial stuff. I have a yogurt maker and I found that between 6-7 hours set the yogurt but is still has a sweeter taste, if I run it for 8-9 hours it's more sour like the store stuff. So you might want to try making your own as another option.

I have made homemade and found the same thing about sweetness. My problem with the homemade is thickness. I have not been able to get it past creamy yogurt soup. I like the thickness of greek yogurt.

Kelly

I have made homemade and found the same thing about sweetness. My problem with the homemade is thickness. I have not been able to get it past creamy yogurt soup. I like the thickness of greek yogurt.

Kelly

You can strain it after you make it and get the same consistency as greek yogurt. It seems to be less sour after straining for me.