Menu

Do you use "The Story of Science" books for science or history?

I've been teaching it as a co-op class all year, and most of the families seem to be using it as a supplement to their regular science course. That said, I've been trying to teach it as cross-disciplinary with math and history. Honestly, in the first book there's more history than what we would consider modern science, and there's almost more math than either! :D It's interesting to read about how cosmology developed over time and why, but I have a hard time thinking of a discussion of Aristotle's idea of the stars being in a fixed crystal sphere as science - that, to me, is history.

We are in the second book now, and now it is getting closer to what we think of science - we're starting to read about discoveries that are still canon, at least ;) The third book is even more 'science' than 'history' :) But even with that, I don't think I'd have kids study this to the exclusion of another science program or history program.

Listening in. I think I'm about to purchase this. I'm trying to decide if I should purchase the extras that go with it and use them as a main science course or use it as an extra science read a-loud in addition to a study of grammar stage chemistry next year.

Here is a review I did of the guides. Perhaps it can help you with your decision.

http://missmoe-thesearethedaysofmylife.blogspot.com/2011/02/teacher-and-student-quest-guides-for.html

We do history and science separately, and we use SOS for fun reading together... maybe a chapter a week or so. It sometimes has lined up with history and sometimes with science. We've tried the quest guides but they just got to be too much for us. We're on Newton. I can't wait for the book about life science.

My current plan is to use these alongside another science program, but I'm not sure whether to do it next year or in 8th grade. I have earth science planned for 7th and physical for 8th. The subject matter goes better with physical, but I also think chemistry/physics will be a bit more challenging for my daughter (due to total lack of interest in physics, for one thing, she loves bio), so may do them next year along with earth science. I'm planning CPO earth science in 7th, then the ACS Chemistry and working through the Thames and Kosmos Physics Workshop in 8th.

I have the quest guide for Aristotle, but haven't decided whether I want to work through the guides or just have her read the material. There are materials for "Einstein Adds a New Dimension" currently available from the National Science Teachers' Association. http://www.nsta.org/publications/press/extras/hakim3.aspx They are not the same as the Quest guides. I haven't used the Quest materials yet, and haven't ordered the NSTA ones, so can't give a full review. The website says that the NSTA supporting materials are free if you buy the book from NSTA ($19.95 nonmember price).