Menu

Need ideas for fourth social studies credit

DD will have:

1 credit American History

1 credit World Geography

0.5 credit U.S. Government

0.5 credit Economics

This meets our requirements but I'd really like her to get a fourth social studies credit. The most obvious choice is World History but she would really like some more options. Ideas?

Pegasus

DD will have:

1 credit American History

1 credit World Geography

0.5 credit U.S. Government

0.5 credit Economics

This meets our requirements but I'd really like her to get a fourth social studies credit. The most obvious choice is World History but she would really like some more options. Ideas?

Pegasus

I've toyed with the idea of an age of extremism type course that might look at the 20th century with anarchism, communism and fascism.

Comparative Government

European History

What about Modern History? We did this as a small, informal co-op with a couple other families. Here is the course description I wrote for ds' transcript:

History of the 20th Century (Honors) Semesters: 2 Credits: 1

This course is an examination of how the 20th century transformed the political, social, and economic structures of the world. It uses The Great Courses Interpreting the 20th Century: The Struggle Over Democracy, combined with Geoffrey Blainey’s A Short History of the 20th Century as the backbone. The course engages the student in-depth analysis and discussions of the major concepts. The student is also required to read a variety of additional primary and secondary source materials and develop multiple page essays on relevant topics. The reading list included essays from Woodrow Wilson (“14 Pointsâ€), John Stuart Mill (“On the Subjection of Womenâ€), and Martin Luther King (“Letter from Birmingham City Jailâ€) as well as excerpts from Civilizations and Its Discontents (Freud), The Communist Manifesto (Marx and Engels), Mein Kampf (Hitler). Books read include Hard Times (Studs Terkel), The Worst Hard Time: The Untold Story of Those Who Survived the Great American Dust Bowl (Timothy Egan), Everyday Stalinism (Sheila Fitzpatrick), 1984 (Orwell), Eagle Against the Sun (Ronald Spector), Citizen Soldiers (Stephen Ambrose), Night (Elie Wiesel), A Rumor of War (Philip Caputo). Students also watch the following films: The Bridge Over the River Kwai, Das Boot, October Sky, Gandhi, Good Night and Good Luck.

From the World Book Encyclopedia online, the typical course of study for the 4 high school years include the following under social studies:

Major Topics

history

geography

government

comparative religions

Minor Topics

economics

citizenship

psychology

conservation

ethnic groups/culture/history/relations

women's studies

family economics/management

"Social Studies" is SO broad, it would allow you to cover a specific historical time period or a specific cultural or ethnic group of interest. More topic ideas for Social Studies:

- Worldviews

- Comparative Religions

- Anthropology

- Political Science

- Women's Studies

- Sociology

- Psychology

What is your dc interested in?

I require 1 credit each in World History and U.S. History, and .5 credit in Economics and .5 credit in Civics/Gov't. Then my dc can choose what they want for their fourth credit in Social Studies. One did 20th Century History, one did Psychology, one did a full credit in Government in addition to the .5 credit course. Sociology could be another option.

I would let your dc choose if there is no requirement except to earn another credit.

I really appreciate all the ideas being shared. I'll have DD read the thread and see if which suggestions interest her.

We've been trying to come up with something that interests her but weren't really sure what would qualify as a social studies credit. For example, we thought about a course in mythology but it looks like that is usually a considered a literature credit.

Thanks again,

Pegasus