Menu

Changing hair texture

I'm 44 yrs. old and I'm noticing a change in my hair texture. I've got lots of silvery gray coming in and I really like it, but it doesn't feel soft anymore. I don't use an expensive shampoo, so maybe my hair is finally showing it's not a good choice. How do I get smooth hair again? When it's wet, trying to wash it is difficult because even the shampoo doesn't glide over the hair like it used to.

I'm 44 yrs. old and I'm noticing a change in my hair texture. I've got lots of silvery gray coming in and I really like it, but it doesn't feel soft anymore. I don't use an expensive shampoo, so maybe my hair is finally showing it's not a good choice. How do I get smooth hair again? When it's wet, trying to wash it is difficult because even the shampoo doesn't glide over the hair like it used to.

I'm no help. I'm just a bit younger than you, and have been noticing my hair is doing funky things, too.

I believe gray hair has a different texture than colored hair (mine feels more coarse). I am also dealing with a few *very* coarse and wiry dark, dark hairs... I have straight highlighted hair, so these are quite noticeable to me... and, they don't color. :confused: Also, my hair *suddenly* (like almost overnight) began to look like straw. :glare:

I did change my shampoo & conditioner from one I had used for years and years (Suave) to one that moisturizes better (Matrix Biolage) and have noticed my hair looks and feels a bit better.

Maybe someone else will chime in with advice!

I hear you. When I finally gave up my long hair for a should length cut, the beautician sold me a bottle of Moroccan Hair Oil. She'd already put it on my hair (very small dab) and it calmed those wiry gray hairs down. The cost of the oil seemed a bit high, but I've also had the bottle for more than a year. I only use a little bit and it makes a huge difference in hair texture.

Maybe you need a leave in conditioner? Or maybe Frizz Ease?

My hair texture has changed as I age. In my 20's and 30's my hair was completely straight. I'm 42 and since I turned 40 my hair has been wavy. I have a natural (looks fake) skunk stripe of gray hair at the top of my bangs (if I had bangs), that stripe of gray hair is still straight.

My gray hair is wiry and ugly...I think it's just the nature of the beast.

What a drag it is getting old.

Wait, I feel a song coming on!

In will hum with you! I've been going gray since I was a teen:glare:

My hair is finally soft....and I have no idea why, except for using Moraccan Oil and a flat iron now.

My dad had beautiful silver hair. He used a shampoo called Silver Lights and it made his hair sparkle.

I did change my shampoo & conditioner from one I had used for years and years (Suave) to one that moisturizes better (Matrix Biolage) ...

Yep, good old Suave. In my early 30s, I worked in an office and once had a coworker pull me aside and ask what hair products I used because my hair always looked so healthy. Her hair was very white blonde, maybe it was bleached and she was younger than me. She actually looked shocked when I told her I only used Suave shampoo and conditioner. My girls use Tresseme. I tried it and it did feel less coarse but it wasn't smooth. I'll give this a try and see how it feels. Thanks.

...the beautician sold me a bottle of Moroccan Hair Oil[/font][/size]. She'd already put it on my hair (very small dab) and it calmed those wiry gray hairs down.

Is this something you put on after you've washed it? Wet or dry hair?

My gray hair is wiry and ugly...I think it's just the nature of the beast.

What a drag it is getting old.

Wait, I feel a song coming on!

Yep! I'll sing along too. Let's add my failing eyesight and increasing memory lapses!

I have those coarse precursors to gray hair, and they have been driving me crazy. I don't think my husband is fond of me asking him if this hair is gray just because it feels like it is. It wouldn't be too upsetting if it was gray. I just want to know if it is!

I have the FrizzEase stuff but it doesn't make that hair soft. It just keeps it from pinging up all over my head. I'll have to try the Moroccan Oil too.

Is this something you put on after you've washed it? Wet or dry hair?

Yes. After you towel dry your hair, while it's still damp, you just put a little bit on you hands, rub them together and then smooth it through your hair. :)

I also use Japanese camellia oil. I mix that though with my conditioner while I'm in the shower. It works really good to smooth out the hair and a little goes a long way. The only thing is I have to order it directly from Japan which may deter some, but I've never had a problem ordering overseas and I've been using it for years now and purchase from the same company website. :)

You can also use a little Jojoba Oil in it's natural form, from a health food type store or co-op market.

I really don't think it's bad shampoo catching up with you. It's just the nature of aging and/or grey hair.

A blonde friend of mine said she wouldn't care when she starts going grey because "it will just look like highlights." I told her she would be very lucky if that were the case. Grey hair is fundamentally different from hair with natural color.