Menu

ACT - thoughts?

My son did.

In NC, homeschooled students are supposed to take an annual standardized test. I did not see the point of giving the ITBS or something similar when the ACT served a dual purpose, i.e. fulfilling the state requirement and offering some extra prep for the real deal.

My son did.

In NC, homeschooled students are supposed to take an annual standardized test. I did not see the point of giving the ITBS or something similar when the ACT served a dual purpose, i.e. fulfilling the state requirement and offering some extra prep for the real deal.

This is what my son did as well.

My son did.

:iagree:Yep. My two, too.

If my child takes this through Midwest Academic Talent Search this Spring as a 9th grader, will it be a score that has to be reported to colleges?

ETA: I looked on the NUMATS website and answered my own question--I quoted what I found on their website below. It appears as though you can request that 9th grade scores not be reported. But couldn't a college ask to see all of them? Then you might be required to send them anyway. And then, would they be averaged in with later tests taken?

The testing agencies (ACT and SAT/College Board) do not retain test scores achieved through NUMATS participation prior to grade 9, and thus these scores are never reported to colleges. Starting in grade 9, the scores are retained and may be reported for college admission. However, when students ask the testing agencies to send ACT and SAT scores to colleges (usually in grade 11 or 12), they may withhold their grade 9 scores if they wish. While ACT has long held this policy, it is a change for SAT, starting with the class of 2010. Please check with the testing agencies for more information.

Edited by Violet

Thinking of having my 9th grader take the ACT this year without any prep...just to see where she's at?

If you just want to see where she's at, just do the practice test at home. There's no need to go to the expense and stress of sitting for the actual test unless you need to use the formal score for something.

One of our DDs took an ACT practice test earlier this year (in 9th grade) to see where she needed to focus her study. Her scores surprised us and we shelved prep until we are ready for her to take the actual exam.She needs to take it for real before she starts taking classes through dual enrollment at the local community college BUT it can't be taken more than 3 years before she finishes high school or our local state university won't accept it. For these reasons, we want her to take it in the Fall of her 10th grade year. If she does as well as she did on the practice test, she will be DONE and won't ever have to re-take it.

Pegasus

BUT it can't be taken more than 3 years before she finishes high school or our local state university won't accept it. For these reasons, we want her to take it in the Fall of her 10th grade year. If she does as well as she did on the practice test, she will be DONE and won't ever have to re-take it.

Pegasus

THANKS, I never thought of this.

Ds took the ACT at the end of 9th grade with no prep. I plan to have him take it at the end of 10th grade with some prep and in 11th with more prep. It is my understanding that the better they score, the better chance they have of gaining scholarships.

It would be more stressful for me to try and make ds take it at home. :tongue_smilie: