Menu

Basic bare minimum...

kidsnbooks8

I would love to hear what would be your basic bare minimum requirements for 6th grade and under, especially if you are a more relaxed or a CM schooler. And if you could include what you would use to fulfill the requirements that would be great! (ex. phonics--Phonics Pathways)

To be quite honest, I am really tired of all the different "curriculums" and would love to just teach what they need and get out:tongue_smilie:

My girls(9 and 11) and I would love to bake, sew, read and play games all day:D My sons(6 and 4) would also like to play games and cuddle all day. But I can't seem to enjoy my family and educate them at the same time.:001_huh: I also tend to go back and forth between being relaxed and then worry that I am not doing enough and pick up the pace only to overwhelm everyone, not really feel like we are gaining much ground and burn out. I know the fable the tortoise and the hare, I just need to STICK to being slow and steady. So I guess it all boils down to this, What do you use for slow and steady that gets the job done, but is not a project to use?

We're in process of becoming more relaxed. We're using:

Phonics-OPGTR, only with the 6 yo and only twice a week for 5-10 minutes.

Writing-Following Bravewriter Lifestyle suggestions

Math-We use RightStart, 3 different levels b/c there's 3 kids. This takes the most of our time.

Grammar, Spelling, etc. We don't use anything for these. Sometimes my 6 yo will do a page or two from SWO. Other than that, I just point out errors.

History/Science. We have one book at a time we read aloud from and narrate Charlotte Mason style. And the kids each read a biography, two chapters per week. They also choose a science book to read on their own.

I might have forgotten something, but for now that's our bare minimum. We usually try to do a little poetry and nature study too. And I'm always evolving things;)

I would love to hear what would be your basic bare minimum requirements for 6th grade and under, especially if you are a more relaxed or a CM schooler. And if you could include what you would use to fulfill the requirements that would be great! (ex. phonics--Phonics Pathways)

To be quite honest, I am really tired of all the different "curriculums" and would love to just teach what they need and get out:tongue_smilie:

My girls(9 and 11) and I would love to bake, sew, read and play games all day:D My sons(6 and 4) would also like to play games and cuddle all day. But I can't seem to enjoy my family and educate them at the same time.:001_huh: I also tend to go back and forth between being relaxed and then worry that I am not doing enough and pick up the pace only to overwhelm everyone, not really feel like we are gaining much ground and burn out. I know the fable the tortoise and the hare, I just need to STICK to being slow and steady. So I guess it all boils down to this, What do you use for slow and steady that gets the job done, but is not a project to use?

For up to 2nd or 3rd grade, it's just math, phonics, and fine motor skills. I have Developing the Early Learner for my 5yo, and I have but don't often use RightStart A with him but plan to for K b/c it's fun and easy to do at this level. He plays Reading Eggs for phonics and I have The Reading Lesson that we will do starting in the fall. No rush. My 2nd grader just turned 8 and is only doing Math Mammoth 3, cursive, and reading the emerging readers with the heart of dakota schedule. My 10yo is in 5th and she is doing Preparing Hearts for His Glory which I think covers all the basics she needs at that age with some more CM skills that other school types wouldn't consider basic and necessary. It's my slow and steady program that actually gets done here. I don't "do" fluffy stuff...if there's much prep or mess, I won't do it!

She can do it all in 3-4hrs and I'm there for a small chunk of that...maybe 1/4 of it is focused mama time and another quarter just checking in or listening to narrations, etc. That includes time for her Math Mammoth lesson as well. I don't add anything else and she is doing wonderfully and enjoying her short school days. If she'd get outta bed and get going with her day, she could be done by 11am. I try to add an HOD guide once they are in 3rd or 4th or ready for Bigger or Preparing levels. And it's going to change for my youngers b/c I won't be spending near the time with my olders for school as I am in the late elem and middle school phases for them. I'll have more time and no toddler interruption to keep me keeping it simpler...it'll be like I was with my first kid again most likely. But not b/c I feel a need to get certain skills in PK-2nd/3rd.

I relate to this sentiment of wanting to spend more time enjoying family. You know what I did? I enjoyed them! This transition took an amazingly long time, but I am so glad I finally went with this option. We continued to read, learn and grow, but I stopped worrying so much about curriculum. You definitely can educate the family without a curriculum! Talk about everything you do and pose questions about mathematical relationships around you. Do hand on experiments and cultivate critical thinking skills. Develop their curiosity and they will seek out so much on their own.

When my boys hit middle school age, we switched to a more academic focus and hence came to TWTM forums. The kids integrated into formal math and grammar programs with few problems. They plan to attend college in STEM fields and have definitely risen to the challenge of building a solid educational foundation.

For specific suggestions, I'd go for the academic readers out there such as the Sir Cumference books, the books on parts of speech, Murderous Maths books, etc. I'd also encourage the kids to sketch and write/journal about their experiences.

"Basic Bare Minimum..." 6th grade?

Math -- solid curriculum, whatever level they are at (anything from Math Mammoth, to Singapore, to Saxon, to Right Start, to MathUSee...etc.)

History -- My 6th grader is doing a "transition" year with this subject, we're using the VP songs/outline and doing lots of additional reading and a timeline project.

Science -- If I needed something that could be done more independently, something like K12 (secular) to something like Apologia... whatever works, and will get done.

English (Grammar, Literature, Composition...spelling & vocab are optional if they are doing lots of reading, and don't have major spelling issues).

A 6th grader is going to need to be more independent and have more depth than a 6yo...this is groundwork for high school, imo, they need to be learning to work.

My 6th grader is doing:

Bible (with the family)

Math AoPS Pre-Algebra & Teaching Textbooks Algebra 1... (but this could easilly be Chalkdust Basic Math or Saxon 7/6 or 8/7, or whatever is needed and can get done).

English - MCT/Killgallon/Abeka/WWS. If I had to choose two, it would be MCT and WWS, with diagramming on the side.

Literature -- Abeka with Progeny Press Lit Studies

History (outlined above)

Art of Argument

Latin Transition (Reviewing Latin for Children A-C, preparation for Secondary Latin 1, online class)

Science -- Abeka Physical Science

Art - Mark Kistler

Music - Dallas School of Music, Discover, Learn & Play

When he remains on task, he can finish his work between the hours of 8am and 2pm, taking about a 45 minute break. This doesn't include extra reading time. There is a lot more discussion and a lot less writing. The two subjects he writes in are composition and Science (outlining, questions). If I made him write out every answer... the amount of time in school would grow by 2 hours.

I would love to hear what would be your basic bare minimum requirements for 6th grade and under, especially if you are a more relaxed or a CM schooler.

So I guess it all boils down to this, What do you use for slow and steady that gets the job done, but is not a project to use?

I have the same concern with my crew - how to get the schooling done well but still have enough time to enjoy the crew. I think a huge part of the equation is not letting school drag on and on. This week I have been pushing my 4th & 2nd graders to get started earlier so they can be done by 12:30. When we accomplish this, we all have a chunk of afternoon time to spend on other pursuits. Those pursuits are just as important to us as academic work.

So here is what I am currently using for my 4th grader:

Writing - Writing Tales I

Spelling/Grammar - Dictation via Day-by-Day Dictation (free on google books)

Math - RightStart D + Singapore CWP 3

Copywork - From current Lit reading

Science - Independent reading + nature study/exploration + BFSU

History - Independent reading

Religion - Independent reading

Literature - Independent & buddy reading from Mater Amabilis list

5th grade is looking like this:

Writing - Writing Tales II

Spelling/Grammar - Dictation via Day-by-Day Dictation + CHC's Lang of God (Maybe)

Copywork

Math - RightStart E + Singapore CWP 4

Science - Independent reading + CHC's Behold and See 5 + BFSU

History - CHC's From Sea to Shining Sea

Religion - Independent reading using CHC's selections

Latin (maybe) - First Form?

My 2nd Grader uses:

Reading - Sonlight 2nd grade readers

Writing - WWE 1

Spelling - Day-by-Day Dictation

Handwriting - Getty Dubay C

Math - RightStart C + Singapore CWP 3

My K/PreKer uses:

Reading - Reading Made Easy

Math - RightStart A

Handwriting - Getty Dubay A

Read alouds happen before bedtime, but only when my 1yo cooperates.

Edited by 2squared

I can't answer for the older kids, but for my dd6 (almost 7), my bare minimum is memorization most days, math everyday, spelling most days, and handwriting/narration (WWE) most days. I use an intense spelling program, and she just jumped a whole year in only 5 months, so I have decided to take a day off now and then. She is reading well, and I do ask her to read something on her own each day. She has set some goals for herself for reading, so that has not been a problem. We also do TOG, because she loves history and geography, but that is the first thing to go if we have a hectic day or week. I have decided to wait on grammar until 4th grade, when we will start with MCT. She is exposed to quite a bit of grammar through our spelling program, and I would rather take advantage of extracurricular opportunities than add in more academics.

My almost 4yo is required to take part in memorization and handwriting. I recently caught him writing his entire name on his own, and I have not worked with him at all, so I want to make sure he doesn't develop bad habits. But this takes only about 5 minutes per day. He also asks to participate in some of our spelling games, phonogram drills, and practicing telling time, which I let him do.

The bare minimum for my first grader: math, phonics, writing, spelling, grammar and logic. Basically the 3 Rs plus some fun logic puzzles.

We have a wide range of outside activities and classes, a large home library with books on a wide range of topics that I "strew" around the house, we watch lots of documentaries and movies that have some educational value, and we've amassed a somewhat crazy collection of Legos, Snap Circuits, puzzles, games, art supplies, various pets, garden projects, etc. It's plenty, IMO. As they get older that will change, I'm sure, but for now I'm happy with what they're doing.

I just changed our plans because I was tired of not getting anything done, fighting and constantly feeling like I was failing as a mom and teacher. I can tell you what I did and that it was the best decision for our family-for this yearl I decided to switch entire curricula. We put away all of the demanding programs (swr, latina christiana, Hake grammar,REAL science, and Apologia science). I ordered PACES for each of them. Honestly, it's not very demanding for them. Some is perfectly grade level and other things are just super easy b/c they are use to more rigor, but that is just fine! I am using PACES for all their core subjects and MUS w/the math PACES. We also still have BJU reading/workbook for my 5th grader and 3rd grader. My 7th grader is using ABEKA b/c he is in a co-op for lit/grammar. We use Biblioplan when we can get to it. It's been a great change for us b/c they can whip thru the workbooks w/little need of my help and they actually enjoy them!

My bare minimum would be:

Eng.-grammar/writing/spelling.

math

reading

science

history- as you can

hth!! :grouphug:

I don't have older kids yet, but for the youngers, I think strong reading, math, and (informal) logic skills are most important. IMO, early math can pretty easily be taught orally and without bookwork, so in order to limit sit-time, I prefer to only teach reading formally, and after laying a strong foundation, teach math. DD is finishing her first grade work, so we cover geography/world cultures, science, grammar, copywork and narration, but math is the only sit down "work" we currently do daily. Really, everything else is so intertwined with our day that I don't think she'd consider it to be school at all:D So our week goes something like this:

Math: SM 1b--Daily for about 1/2 hour after breakfast--we do this 6 days/week as I feel both I and the kids do better with a consistent morning

Language arts: We're using FLL for grammar, and I'll read a few lessons ahead of time and when we get a moment in the car or walking through the store I'll talk her through a lesson or 2, so it doesn't really seem like school. About 3x a week I'll write a sentence or two for her to copy--I'll usually suggest something interesting from a book she read or help her write a letter to someone. She also reads independently for about 1.5 hours during rest time and also during car rides. I used to spend a lot of time reading with her (before we started official math), but she is at a level now where I feel comfortable letting her do it mostly on her own. She will come to me if she has questions though. I do still spend time cuddling with her and her sister reading to them and telling stories...but it's just fun:lol:

Social studies: I'll usually get picture books and stories about kids from different countries or a historical figure and she'll read them during her rest time and we'll talk about them at meals, etc. A couple weeks ago we read books about Martin Luther King Jr and Ruby Bridges, and had discussions on racism, the value of people, and our nations history in this area. This week we got some on geography and maps. We love to look at the map by our table and talk about different places.

Science: We have BFSU that I read and use as a discussion starter and guide when we don't have other interest lead stuff going on. This week, we went to the zoo Monday and got to touch a snake and listen to the volunteer talk about it. So we looked up some reptiles in our animal encyclopedia and got a reptile video from the library. Thursday we went to the science center and I made it a point to see the reptiles, but we also enjoyed the space shuttles and presentations on air and the human body.

I guess for us, we're usually done with our sit down school and chores by 10am, so we have the rest of the day to explore other things:) I'm interested in hearing how people with older kids work things out:bigear:

My oldest is in 5th now, but not much is changing for next year. She does daily:

copywork: current memory verse

logic: logic countdown

grammar: just finished Easy Grammar and looking for something else

piano practice

reading: whatever book that ties into History

math: TT

and also alternates practicing keyboarding or writing (Story Starters)

Every Monday and Wed. we do history with MOH, but are taking our good old time and stretching each of the designated weeks into 2 weeks so we can read supplemental books aloud and read some to herself.

Every Tues. and Thurs. we do Apologia Science (Zoology) which she loves!

My littles can participate in the History and Science and it only takes 45 min or so a day. The rest she does independantly and it might take 1.5 hours depending on her attitude. I plan on continuing with Apologia and MOH next year so not much will change. HTH

I did this somewhere not too long ago, but I can't find it now. Anyway, Robinson would be simple. In a pinch I would take everyone back to the 3Rs skipping science and history all together. It certainly isn't ideal, but in K-6 it certainly won't be the end of the world if they skip them for a semester.

grades K-3

Daily Reading Instruction

Kumon Verbal Skills Workbooks for ages 2-8

Kumon Recommended Reading List

Daily Math

Kumon Math Skills Workbooks for ages 2-8, Grade 3 Division

Manipulative Play (wedgits, pattern blocks, dice, dominioes, cards)

grades 4-6

Daily Reading Instruction

Kumon Recommended Reading List D, E, F

Spectrum Word Study and Phonics Grades 4, 5, and 6

Daily Math

Complete Book of Math Timed Tests

Kumon Grade 4 Multiplication, Grade 4 Division, Grade 4 Decimals & Fractions

Key to Measurement

Writing Instruction

Copy passages from Kumon Recommended Reading literature

In reality my extra student is in 6th grade and she is currently doing what I would consider a pretty basic schedule.

Language Arts

Classical Conversations- Essentials

Sequential Spelling

Bridges to Literature, Level 1

Math

Saxon 76

Developmental Math 15

Science

Focus on Science Level F

Great Science Adventures- Chemistry (this coordinates somewhat with her CC memory work)

Social Studies

Power Basics World History 1

Test Prep/ Memory Work

Classical Conversations- Foundations

Scoring High Grade 6

Preparing Students for Standardized Testing Grade 6

All of this except the IEW composition for Essentials and Great Science Adventures is quick, requires little assistance and gets the job done.

Another option for a quick git-er-done plan would be sign them all up for T4L. My 3rd grader is using T4L and it takes him about 30-45 each day. Do T4L and when you complete whatever you need to do for the day move on to life skills and experiential learning.

HTH-

Mandy

Thank you all for sharing, I am finding this very, very helpful.:)

This weekend has been sort of slow and laid back, I am very much enjoying the time. I pulled out a few oldies but goodies to reread and I am feeling more encouraged. These are the books that I have been enjoying:

http://www.amazon.com/Homeschooling-Patchwork-Days-Share-Families/dp/0965130304/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

http://www.amazon.com/How-Homeschool-Practical-Gayle-Graham/dp/1880892405/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1328396217&sr=1-1

http://www.amazon.com/Ignite-Fire-Terri-Camp/dp/1568570899/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1328396260&sr=1-1

And enjoying these threads:

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=344460'>http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=344460

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=344460

and looking at some CM blogs too.

If I wanted to do only "the basics" and make sure to spend quality time with my kids, this is what it would look like…

Phonics instruction (OPGTR, but I would use a white board and make games to play. Also, starfall.com and Leapfrog DVDs)

Spelling, if needed (Spelling Power, Sequential Spelling, or misspelled words taken from their writing and entered into spellingcity.com)

Math 4-5 days per week (Miquon then start Singapore at 3A or Math Mammoth 3, and we'd play lots of math games and read living math books!)

Read aloud to the kids every day from high quality books and DISCUSS, DISCUSS, DISCUSS! (This could cover Literature, Science, History, Geography, Thinking Skills, Literary Analysis, Vocabulary, etc., etc.)

Writing Skills - 1 thing 4-5 days per week (Copywork, Dictation, Written Narration, Journaling, Story writing, Small Research Papers, etc. I'd get The Writer's Jungle and make my own curriculum so we could go with the flow of our family's needs.)

Silent Reading Time 1hr+ per day

Audio Books and Radio Dramas (SOTW, Chronicles of Narnia, Adventures in Odyssey, etc.)

Educational Play/Fun Stuff (Legos, Blocks, Documentaries, Board and Card Games, Painting, Play Dough/Modeling Clay, Beads, Buttons, Puzzles, Pattern Blocks, Cuisenaire Rods, Dress-Up Stuff, Baby Dolls, Logic and Math Computer Games, Piano, etc.)

Edited by Rosie

Your girls are at a really good age to take off and do a unit study, one of the ones from Cadron Creek. There's even an American Girl unit study available online. Or do a year of geography with GtG, MFW ECC, or what have you and integrate your cooking and sewing that way.

Personally, as someone who has similar values, I've found that the best way for me to get things like sewing done is to set it up as a class. I taught one myself for a year, and that worked out GREAT. Or convince a friend to teach a class and pay her a little for her time. That regularity is really good for the process. Once you have littles underfoot, it doesn't matter how much you trim, you'll always get done less.

If I wanted to do only "the basics" and make sure to spend quality time with my kids, this is what it would look like…

Phonics instruction (OPGTR, but I would use a white board and make games to play. Also, starfall.com and Leapfrog DVDs)

Spelling, if needed (Spelling Power, Sequential Spelling, or misspelled words taken from their writing and entered into spellingcity.com)

Math 4-5 days per week (Miquon then start Singapore at 3A or Math Mammoth 3, and we'd play lots of math games and read living math books!)

Read aloud to the kids every day from high quality books and DISCUSS, DISCUSS, DISCUSS! (This could cover Literature, Science, History, Geography, Thinking Skills, Literary Analysis, Vocabulary, etc., etc.)

Writing Skills - 1 thing 4-5 days per week (Copywork, Dictation, Written Narration, Journaling, Story writing, Small Research Papers, etc. I'd get The Writer's Jungle and make my own curriculum so we could go with the flow of our family's needs.)

Silent Reading Time 1hr+ per day

Audio Books and Radio Dramas (SOTW, Chronicles of Narnia, Adventures in Odyssey, etc.)

Educational Play/Fun Stuff (Legos, Blocks, Documentaries, Board and Card Games, Painting, Play Dough/Modeling Clay, Beads, Buttons, Puzzles, Pattern Blocks, Cuisenaire Rods, Dress-Up Stuff, Baby Dolls, Logic and Math Computer Games, Piano, etc.)

This is really good:) I went and looked at the Writer's Jungle and I like what I see. I would just need to come up with money:tongue_smilie:

Your girls are at a really good age to take off and do a unit study, one of the ones from Cadron Creek. There's even an American Girl unit study available online. Or do a year of geography with GtG, MFW ECC, or what have you and integrate your cooking and sewing that way.

Personally, as someone who has similar values, I've found that the best way for me to get things like sewing done is to set it up as a class. I taught one myself for a year, and that worked out GREAT. Or convince a friend to teach a class and pay her a little for her time. That regularity is really good for the process. Once you have littles underfoot, it doesn't matter how much you trim, you'll always get done less.

I will look into this too, I have the Priarie Primer, GTG, and they are into the American Girls right now. It is nice that a lot of the together things are built right into these programs.

Doing things with friends like you said would definately help with the accountability/regularity and I need that;)

Thanks for your suggestions.

This is really good:) I went and looked at the Writer's Jungle and I like what I see. I would just need to come up with money:tongue_smilie:

I think Homeschool Buyer's Coop still has a sale going right now! It is something you can use for all your children every year until high school so it really isn't that much money when you look at it that way. Having said that, though, I'm really not sure why she charges so much.... hmmmm...

You do have to be comfortable making up your own curriculum from her suggestions, though. It won't work for obsessive box checkers. There are no boxes to check. I made a print out of what writing projects I wanted to get done each month of the school year and look at that when I'm planning our week. That helps me see that we are making forward progress.

I also reread the book every summer. There is A LOT in there and you'll learn more each time through. Take a look at the Bravewriter website and you can start incorporating many of her ideas right away. It really is a good curriculum for those who want a close relationship with their children. I think I'd be pushing too hard and having a tough time with my oldest if it weren't for that book. Is that recommendation enough? LOL!

Have you considered something similar to the Robinson method?

**A math lesson per child on their own level

**The older ones read from ONE book, be it a history reader, a science reader, or lit., for 2 hours (or less) per day. (Younger children would do phonics--Phonics Pathways is painless-- or practice reading.)

**Then olders write about what they wrote. This could include copy work which would teach punctuation and spelling as well as content info. Youngers would do handwriting or sm amt of copywork.

Three easy steps. After they are done with the above reader (it may take a week or 2) then they change to a different subject reader.

The for snuggle time you could have a read aloud that the whole family enjoys. We always loved this part of the day.

Have you considered something similar to the Robinson method?

**A math lesson per child on their own level

**The older ones read from ONE book, be it a history reader, a science reader, or lit., for 2 hours (or less) per day. (Younger children would do phonics--Phonics Pathways is painless-- or practice reading.)

**Then olders write about what they wrote. This could include copy work which would teach punctuation and spelling as well as content info. Youngers would do handwriting or sm amt of copywork.

Three easy steps. After they are done with the above reader (it may take a week or 2) then they change to a different subject reader.

The for snuggle time you could have a read aloud that the whole family enjoys. We always loved this part of the day.

Ok, just asking as one who hasn't used RC but has always been curious about it. Are you saying you've USED this successfully with your kids, or is it just that you know the method?

Just wondering, cuz my kid reads two hours a day on her own (no stopping her), and what you've described wouldn't improve anything. And if they don't want to write about what they've read (we have that issue in our house, we keep writing and book subjects separate now), then that's an issue. And it sounds like it assumes the student is able to read, synthesize, and get what is necessary from a text, something not all kids do. (comprehension, attention, getting what the author wanted you to get, not just what you thought was important) But whatever, that's pretty interesting. I've always wondered how it was meant to work. Still, just read 2 hours from a book on their list, write, and you're done??? Is their theory it leaves you plenty of time for side interests? Like mercy, my kid would hole up with some history textbook, read for 10 hours, and call it a week. :lol:

Ok, just asking as one who hasn't used RC but has always been curious about it. Are you saying you've USED this successfully with your kids, or is it just that you know the method?

Just wondering, cuz my kid reads two hours a day on her own (no stopping her), and what you've described wouldn't improve anything. And if they don't want to write about what they've read (we have that issue in our house, we keep writing and book subjects separate now), then that's an issue. And it sounds like it assumes the student is able to read, synthesize, and get what is necessary from a text, something not all kids do. (comprehension, attention, getting what the author wanted you to get, not just what you thought was important) But whatever, that's pretty interesting. I've always wondered how it was meant to work. Still, just read 2 hours from a book on their list, write, and you're done??? Is their theory it leaves you plenty of time for side interests? Like mercy, my kid would hole up with some history textbook, read for 10 hours, and call it a week. :lol:

Elizabeth,

As with all methods it is not for everyone. The op was asking for bare min. No, I have not used this method, but I do consider it for the future. I do, however, know several people who are currently using RM successfully . The writing part is for kids that are old enough. Youngers do handwriting and then copywork when they are a bit older. Notice that I said *similar* in my first post. Robinson is more like:

~~math for 2 hours (instead of 1 lesson) (my kids would die!),

~~read 2 hours, and

~~write for 1 hour (instead of just write).

Just wanted to clarify that in case it was missed. I have used many methods over the years with the 3 that I've graduated, and looking back I can say with confidence that this method would have worked for them. My youngest is too young right now, but I do consider this method for her in the future. Knowing that Robinson and his children are not idiots (though some here have issues with Arts beliefs) really does help me be at ease recommending this method. I don't know that Art R's goal was to leave enough time for outside activities (though there is nothing wrong with that at all), but they did farm and that takes a great deal of time. His goal was to successfully educate the children he loved while being left widowed, and still hold a job. He did that. I can see where my youngest could (in the future) snuggle up with a book for 10 hours---she reads everything she sees, even rewinds vids to read what she missed! She most likely wouldn't call it a week, but repeat the same thing the next day. I see that as someone who could use the RM successfully with no problems, but be required to stop reading and do her chores. When I think of the time spent shuffling between science, lit and history each day....that could easily be put into one subject for 2 hours and get a good deal done. Grammar and spelling are learned by copywork, or if a person doesn't seem to pic that up well they can also add a grammar handbook.

Just a FYI: Cm had younger kids learning12- 15 subjects per week...and by 4/5 th grade they were studying 2 languages, usually Latin & French.

Onto your real question:

Math....daily...short lessons. For me that sometimes means crossing off problems or doing a hands on lesson one day with a drill sheet, and a paper and pencil lesson the next. I also cross off problems if the child needs

Less practice

Bible: we do a daily reading, a weekly memory verse and a devotional story. 15 minutes...tops. But daily.

Grammar, spelling, penmanship, writing, CAN be taught using copy work and dictation. You can choose your passages from your history, science, biographies, grammar rules, math rules etc. There is no RULE on what constitutes good copy work choices as long as it is age and ability appropriate. Get a scope and sequence and then use your sentences to teach parts of speech, phrases and clauses, sentence construction, punctuation and capitalization, spelling of difficult words etc. You can use one passage for a few days this way, and at the end dictate it and see if they have it. This can take 10-15 minutes a day, but reallybpacks a wallop in terms of more bang for your buck...which is ummmm ....fast and free:D

History and science can be approached using real living books. One year, we were very short on time during the day, so our read aloud history and science became our bedtime stories. Because my kids are tired out by then, they laid in bed and listened....and remember those books like it was yesterday. I would have them narrate orally in the am as we ate breakfast or did dishes....

Poetry can be added to read Aloud and copy work time.

Art and composer study? Find an author and a composer you love ...or like...or who interests you. For art...print up some postcard sized images from the same artist. Post them around your house...on the fridge, as a screen saver etc. Then one day...pull one down...tell the kids something about the pictures creator, then ask them to look at it and tell YOU what they see...pass it around to each kid to see what they see. This can be done duringbtea time....after you baked cookies and are eating and enjoying them.....in the background? Your chosen composer. Play it in the kitchen when you your dishes or fold laundry, or sweep up. Play it in the car on your way to soccer or grandma's. Maybe get a picture book about the composer from the library, or download a video of an orchestra playing his composition......

Anyway, bare bones to us as far as seat work?

Math worksheet

Grammar worksheet

Copy work/penmanship page or writing assignment for older kids.

A reader of some sort, either a graded or a living book for each kid.(this would rotate among subjects of history, science and literature)

Latin worksheet for kids studying Latin (or French for those kids)

Faithe...who has gone bare bones in bad times and whose kids did not fall behind:D

ETA: It is ok to go bare bones, Ramp up, slow down etc. Homeschooling is like a beautiful dance. Sometimes it is wild and crazy, sometimes intense, sometimes slow and graceful, sometimes younwonder if younger really dancing at all...lol....but it does usually come together in the end:D

Faithe

I just changed our plans because I was tired of not getting anything done, fighting and constantly feeling like I was failing as a mom and teacher. I can tell you what I did and that it was the best decision for our family-for this yearl I decided to switch entire curricula. We put away all of the demanding programs (swr, latina christiana, Hake grammar,REAL science, and Apologia science). I ordered PACES for each of them. Honestly, it's not very demanding for them. Some is perfectly grade level and other things are just super easy b/c they are use to more rigor, but that is just fine! I am using PACES for all their core subjects and MUS w/the math PACES. We also still have BJU reading/workbook for my 5th grader and 3rd grader. My 7th grader is using ABEKA b/c he is in a co-op for lit/grammar. We use Biblioplan when we can get to it. It's been a great change for us b/c they can whip thru the workbooks w/little need of my help and they actually enjoy them!

My bare minimum would be:

Eng.-grammar/writing/spelling.

math

reading

science

history- as you can

hth!! :grouphug:

I did this as well. My kids hate "waiting " for me....I am not using PACES, but CLE for 2 kids and Abeka for my little guy...just the workbook.....And then using Sonlight Core W really slowed down for our other subjects. Dd is using Lyrical Life Science and Manga French on her own.....so far, this has been one of our most successful years. Oh, we are also using WWE for the boys writing and SL Core W LA for dd.

Faithe

Susie, I hear what you are saying, thank you for your suggestions:)

I just wanted to add(I know you were not suggesting to do RC full on) I went to the web site and spent quite a while reading and sharing with my husband. I guess it is true that necessity is the mother of invention. One could probably raise a very capable, intelligent person using that method( I don't believe that is the only way), but I would not be able to follow the plan that has been laid out. My high schooler is very, very independent but we got there gradually and I am happy for the memories and conversations we have had along the way. There is a bond and a respect for each other that I would not trade for anything. He does not see me as a crutch in any way, he has even surpassed me in many areas, especially academics.;) He is a well balanced, capable, intelligent person.

I do have older children, and have been through some things. But seasons change and I love to get the perspective of others in the "trenches". It helps to shed light and renews my enthusiam. I just wanted to say thank you again to those who have taken the time to share:grouphug:

KnB8,

You have touched on another reason that *I* don't want to use RM as laid out. Over the years I have thoroughly enjoyed schooling WITH my children. I have those memories that I will always cherish. Just about 1 month ago I had a rare moment with my two sons that were home from college for the holidays. I was reading a BF history reader to my 6 yo for school. The boys heard me reading to her and promptly sat down and listened in. It was a beautiful thing! It has been years since we have had a group reading and I miss it dearly. We shared many lessons like that over the years. I can remember the kids building a Nile diorama together and sharing science experiments with each other. THIS is what we love. :) RM appeals to me as a mom who is getting older and is running out of energy and may not be able to spend as much time with my younger child. It is also attractive because unless my dh is able to get disability I will be forced out of the home and into the work place. If RM is not what will work for your group I certainly understand. I was only offering up another possibility. I am glad that you have looked into it and was able to make a wise decision for your family.

Susie, I hear what you are saying, thank you for your suggestions:)

I just wanted to add(I know you were not suggesting to do RC full on) I went to the web site and spent quite a while reading and sharing with my husband. I guess it is true that necessity is the mother of invention. One could probably raise a very capable, intelligent person using that method( I don't believe that is the only way), but I would not be able to follow the plan that has been laid out. My high schooler is very, very independent but we got there gradually and I am happy for the memories and conversations we have had along the way. There is a bond and a respect for each other that I would not trade for anything. He does not see me as a crutch in any way, he has even surpassed me in many areas, especially academics.;) He is a well balanced, capable, intelligent person.

I do have older children, and have been through some things. But seasons change and I love to get the perspective of others in the "trenches". It helps to shed light and renews my enthusiam. I just wanted to say thank you again to those who have taken the time to share:grouphug: