Menu

Help with movie education

Okay, I would really love some help with this! I am planning on taking the kids (9 and 7) to LA this summer and we will also visit Hollywood. However, I just realized that this won't be too exciting for the boys as they know absolutely nothing about movies. As far as I know, the only movies they have seen are animated Disney movies.

So I was thinking it might be a good idea to watch some movies to make them familiar with famous movies/actors etc. before we go on our trip. Looking for suggestions of good movies to watch for the entire family. I am most interested in old classics but some newer movies might be good as well. What makes this a bit difficult is that both boys are VERY sensitive so anything "exciting" is out.

Would really appreciate recommendations of movies to watch!

So, the goal would be to share blockbuster movies and actors that have become part of our culture, right? I'm going to make a list that *I* would let *my* kids watch at those ages, you can read up and decide for yourself if they are appropriate for your kids.

in no particular order, just glancing through my shelves:

the 1933 version of King Kong

The General with Buster Keaton

Casablanca with Humphrey Bogart and Lauren Becall

The Thin Man with William Powell and Myrna Loy

Mr. Smith Goes to Washington with Jimmy Stewart and Jean Arthur

Ben Hur with Charlton Heston

It Happened One Night with Clark Gable and Claudette Colbert

The Gold Rush with Charlie Chaplin

Dracula with Bela Lugosi

Frankenstein with Boris Karloff

Sons of the Desert with Laurel and Hardy

Duck Soup with the Marx Brothers

The Egg and I with Fred MacMurray and Claudette Colbert

Christmas in Connecticut with Barbara Stanwyck

Mrs. Deeds Goes to Town with Gary Cooper and Jean Arthur

The Adventures of Robin Hood with Errol Flynn

The Wizard of Oz

It's a Wonderful Life with Jimmy Stewart and Donna Reed

Singin' in the Rain with Gene Kelly and Debbie Reynolds

Meet Me in St. Louis with Judy Garland

Lawrence of Arabia with Peter O'Toole

Star Wars Episode IV

The Absent Minded Professor with Fred MacMurray

any Godzilla movie

(Herbie) The Love Bug

The Muppet Movie

Time Bandits

The Court Jester with Danny Kaye

Beau Geste

Bringing Up Baby with Katherine Hepburn and Cary Grant

Sound of Music with Julie Andrews

If you want to be more specific, I could come up with more!

Thanks so much - this is already a great start. I guess what I am looking for are movies that will help the boys to enjoy visiting Hollywood. Obviously, it would be fairly boring to see the footprints/stars etc. if you have never heard of anyone. So I would say one objective is to hit a number of the best-know/loved movies but the other objective is to get familiar with many of the "Hollywood legends". Mostly I am thinking of past actors/actresses (eg. Cary Grant, Katharine Hepburn, Marilyn Monroe, etc.) but it would be great to also get to know some of the stars of today.

The major difficulty I see is that the boys are really not at all ready for anything scary/sad etc. - I think the Wizard of Oz is pushing it.

So any additional ideas (either of movies or not to be missed actors/actesses) would be great.

Thanks so much - this is already a great start. I guess what I am looking for are movies that will help the boys to enjoy visiting Hollywood. Obviously, it would be fairly boring to see the footprints/stars etc. if you have never heard of anyone. So I would say one objective is to hit a number of the best-know/loved movies but the other objective is to get familiar with many of the "Hollywood legends". Mostly I am thinking of past actors/actresses (eg. Cary Grant, Katharine Hepburn, Marilyn Monroe, etc.) but it would be great to also get to know some of the stars of today.

The major difficulty I see is that the boys are really not at all ready for anything scary/sad etc. - I think the Wizard of Oz is pushing it.

So any additional ideas (either of movies or not to be missed actors/actesses) would be great.

Honestly, beyond watching some of the movies, I just wouldn't worry about being familiar with the "stars." You probably don't want to go into their biographies, for instance, if you don't want "scary/sad."

Hollywood is in a kinda icky area, too. (We went 2 summers ago.) I would just go and have fun as adults, and know that they may not be super-excited about it.

If you want to do a studio tour, Warner Bros. is excellent. They do a backlot tour that's really interesting, even if you've never heard of the shows they highlight, although it is, of course, more interesting if you have heard of them. You could talk about sets and locations and things like that to prepare them a bit, or just enjoy a lovely tram ride and walk around places where things are filmed. (On the tour, we saw the "Jungle Area," "New York" and a "suburban area," and a Town Square area. George of the Jungle, Ghost Whisperer, Fantasy Island, a vampire show, several sitcoms--all filmed in part there.)

Most of the movies I posted are comedies. A few of them are adventure-films (like Star Wars), but I don't think it is scarier than Wizard of Oz. Even King King is not scary at all; you can see the strings on the planes, lol. Oh, the othe thing you might consider is a kid-friendly gangster movie like Angels With Dirty Faces.

I think this book is a good place to start The Best Old Movies for Families:A Guide to Watching Together.

I read it last year and agree with most of his recommendations. A few were really out there (sorry, can't recall what they were right now) but for the most part they were movies that my kids and I have already seen together and mostly enjoyed. :) hth

eta- just read Mrs. Mungo's post - lots of great movies there except for Meet Me in St. Louis - I detest that movie. Just my 2 cents.:D

Edited by Mothersweets

Thanks so much for all the info. I will definitely look for that book - it sounds like it would be perfect for my purposes.

We are actually planning an extended trip to Southern California and Hollywood is just a small part of it. Still, it seems that it would be more fun for the kids if they had more of an idea about movies in general. Also, I feel that I have neglected that part of their education somehow. So this isn't just for the trip but to give them at least a basic understanding of movies which I think is part of a well-rounded education (and fun as well).

Actually, I have started a list of possible movies and it is coming along nicely. What I am still having trouble with is finding appropriate movies that are newer and feature more recent actors/actresses (e.g. Tom Cruise, Julia Roberts, Brad Pitt etc.). Would love to have some suggestions for this as well.

Actually, I have started a list of possible movies and it is coming along nicely. What I am still having trouble with is finding appropriate movies that are newer and feature more recent actors/actresses (e.g. Tom Cruise, Julia Roberts, Brad Pitt etc.). Would love to have some suggestions for this as well.

Julia Roberts is in Hook. Brad Pitt does voices in a couple of cartoons like MegaMind. Tom Cruise is in Legend (which you might not want you littles watching, I don't know).