Menu

What's better than Writing Strands...

julikins

What's your favorite writing curriculum?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. What's your favorite writing curriculum?

• WWE/WWS
    • IEW
    • Writing Strands
    • Writing Tales
    • WriteShop
    • Wordsmith (Apprentice, Wordsmith or Craftsman)
    • Igniting Your Writing
    • Meaninful Composition
    • Jump In
    • Other

What is your favorite Writing Curriculum and why? Feel free to give me any details you want to give :001_smile:

In the recent "Worst Curriculum Purchases Ever" thread, Writing Strands came up quite frequently. I was planning on starting it next year with my soon-to-be 5th grader who has had very little writing exposure, except for what we do in ILL.

Why is it so hated? What do you use instead and why?

Thanks!

Edited by julikins
Better title for poll, reword

If I were homeschooling again, I'd make every effort to use Writing Strands all the way through high school. I'd have used it the first time except that we started hsing before it was written, and by the time all levels were available, dds were taking classes at the community college.

My first choice is Classical Writing, though I haven't used it yet (except the Primers). It was between this and Writing Tales for my third grader next year. WWE/WWS is my back-up if I decide that CW is not working. I have used WWE 1 and liked it. I'll be using similar techniques with my first grader next year, but not using the workbooks.

I don't know why other people don't like it. I tried it once when my oldest was young. She hated it. It was like....write: The pencil. The next day write: The yellow pencil. Next day write: The big yellow pencil.

I don't remember what level that was (does it have levels? I don't remember). But, it dragged and dd groaned. Maybe if we would have stuck it out we would have seen the light, like Ellie. I don't know.

I'm starting little dd on WWW and so far she loves it.

If I were homeschooling again, I'd make every effort to use Writing Strands all the way through high school. I'd have used it the first time except that we started hsing before it was written, and by the time all levels were available, dds were taking classes at the community college.

This, except I am homeschooling again. Ds used WS on the recommendation of a lady I really looked up to in hsing. Her children are more articulate than most college graduates I know!

Ds flew through college english classes and I attribute this to WS. IMO, one of the reasons it is disliked is because it is somewhat vague. However, this is to make you think, not do what the directions say to the letter. We will be starting it next year.

I don't know why other people don't like it. I tried it once when my oldest was young. She hated it. It was like....write: The pencil. The next day write: The yellow pencil. Next day write: The big yellow pencil.

I don't remember what level that was (does it have levels? I don't remember). But, it dragged and dd groaned. Maybe if we would have stuck it out we would have seen the light, like Ellie. I don't know.

not that it really matters... but that is from WS level 2, lesson 1 day 1. Goal of lesson was to learn to expand sentences through use of adjectives.

if this would help anyone to get a feel for the style in that level....

You hold an object and write a quick description in complete sentence.

It is a pencil.

then you brainstorm for one adjective, then 2 or more adjectives. Introduce use of "and" or commas when you do 3 adjectives. Now the child writes down each of those thoughts in complete sentence. so they take thoughts into writing.

next day lesson, learn to be more specific in noun and not just pronouns so that by end of lesson sentences are along lines of "My mother's yellow pencil is kept in the desk." (prompts are given to help the student think)

day 3 lesson - add a new description.

day 4 - pull all three of those lessons and use a new object.

so yes, for 7 year old, the lessons are in short segments to write longer sentences. Short effective lessons that come from working with writing mentor, start out loud, go to pencil and paper.

gets more each lesson and each level....

I still think of Writing Strands as the "Karate Kid" of writing programs...... I struggled understanding the purpose of the lessons when I was wanting to teach my child how to write. But, just like "wax on and wax off" and "sand the floor" and "paint the fence" were really karate moves in muscle memory.. Writing Strands gets those basics in muscle memory for the student to apply throughout other assignments in school.

I know WS isn't popular, but I liked it too. not sure what I consider "the best" out there....

-crystal

I plan on using WS with my dd as part of her file folder work. My older kids used several levels and although some of the lessons seemed bogus TO ME, they enjoyed them. They are short and incremental for the most part....easy to teach and easy to guide into better writing skills.

Right now, we are using WWE with my younger kids and Sonlight LA for CORE W with my 13 Yo dd and enjoying it very much.

Faithe

We hadn't used WS in the past, but started with Level 3 this year. The kids really like it so far. They actually ask to do it, lol. We used WWE when they were younger and I did like it. I like WS because they are enthusiastic about writing and it is easy to implement, but best of all they are learning writing skills. They are actually thinking about the instruction and applying it to their writing.