Menu

Chore Chart Project is finally done!

I have been wanting to make a copy of Erica's chore chart from Confessions of a homeschooler. It has taken awhile to get it all set-up.

I did some tweaking to it so that it worked for our family and so far it has really helped to keep us on track and I am having to do less "reminding" about what needs to get done. :001_smile:

Well, it's finally done!

Check it out @ here

Edited by fourcatmom

You have put together a VERY nice chart. Bright and engaging!

My kids would have loved this when they were younger. We just use a basic list printed for each room that it is needed in, i.e. bedroom, kitchen, even bathroom.

We absolutely need charts and lists due to an overabundance of ADHD in this household.:D

Thanks. If you go to the Confessions of a homeschooler site, click here and scroll down to supplies needed she has a link to the pocket chart on Amazon that she used. I used a slightly different one. You can search pocket charts on Amazon, you might find you need a different amount of spaces to make your system work. The pocket chart is under $20 and has been very handy for us.

My kids really like schedules and they always wanted one written out each morning. This helps me not have to do that since they can check the subjects on the chart for that day. They turn the cards over when they have completed the subject, so it's a really visual schedule for them to help them stay on task and complete all necessary lessons. I thought mine would be really too old for this kind of system (11 and 9) but it really has helped. :001_smile:

Thank you. It has been a big struggle for me since I started homeschooling last year. Since I work about 20 hours a week there are just too many times when they are working independently. I am trying to reduce my schedule but I really needed something that would help us all communicate about their responsibilities. I am really glad that I put the work into it because it is paying off.

Example - my 9 yo loves the computer and it was always an issue during the day when she could get on. She would often rush through her work and not get other things done, like making her bed and cleaning her bedroom. The computer was her only source of interest. Now, she has to earn the tickets to get the computer time. If she doesn't have the tickets, she doesn't get the computer time. Since she also loves to sleep with me, I decided to work this into the equation as well so that she could start realizing that there are other things that are important than just computer time. It really has taken a lot of arguing away each day because the expectations are already laid out. And with the incentive to get 100%, they are taking their time more and doing better.

They both got 100% on their spelling test yesterday! :lol:

I love these magnetic chore charts.

So many good ideas for those that are crafty. Sadly, I'm not one of those people. :)

http://www.somewhatsimple.com/2009/11/magnetic-chore-chart.html

http://blog.silhouetteamerica.com/2011/04/spring-into-silhouette-tutorial-week_22.html

In our house, we tend to put things on post-it notes... kind of like this:

http://www.smockityfrocks.com/2009/10/scheduling-chores.html

It works really well, and you can easily change it. :)

Pocket chart type organizers? That's a great deal!

Yes - I think they're technically jewelry organizers. I didn't check the dimensions of the ones already posted but I bought one today and can check the size of that. It looked like the same size to my eye. Its also double-sided which might come in handy.

ETA: I can't find a ruler of any kind at the moment but the organizer I bought is about a third/half of the size of the one you made. Definitely smaller. It has a hanger on top instead of grommet holes. It has (30) small pockets (5*6) on each side with one row of three bigger pockets on the bottom, also on each side. They had bigger organizers as well, which may have been similar in size to what you have. This smaller size will work well for us.

Edited by momoflaw

Yes - I think they're technically jewelry organizers. I didn't check the dimensions of the ones already posted but I bought one today and can check the size of that. It looked like the same size to my eye. Its also double-sided which might come in handy.

ETA: I can't find a ruler of any kind at the moment but the organizer I bought is about a third/half of the size of the one you made. Definitely smaller. It has a hanger on top instead of grommet holes. It has (30) small pockets (5*6) on each side with one row of three bigger pockets on the bottom, also on each side. They had bigger organizers as well, which may have been similar in size to what you have. This smaller size will work well for us.

That sounds like a great alternative! Thanks for sharing. Cheaper then Amazon with shipping costs. I know they sell the pocket charts at Lakeshore as well but I don't know if there would be a store around anyone. I know we have one in Northern California.