Menu

JCPenney Changes

Can I just say that I hate shopping Kohl's because of their pricing stategy?

Oh my gosh, me too. I won't shop there anymore. I think it's obnoxious and insulting to my intelligence. Seeing an artificially inflated price with a 40% sticker does not make me feel like I'm getting a great deal. I'm sure people really do get good deals when they combine "sale" prices with coupons and percentage off deals from having a Kohl's card, but that's beyond my shopping ability. I really dislike shopping, and I'm not going to come back week after week to see when they finally put what I want on sale. If I'm in a clothing store, it's because I actually *need* something now. I can't wait three weeks for it to be on sale. If I could wait that long, I wouldn't be shopping for it in the first place. My mom loves standing at clearance racks shuffling through clothes looking for a diamond in the rough, but for me, that's like torture. I get twitchy as soon as I walk into a store like Kohl's, and staying there for an hour while I look through racks is very unappealing.

I haven't set foot in a JC Penny's in probably 10 years, but I'm pretty excited about this new pricing strategy. It will be my first stop next time I need something.

Ugh, I feel exactly the same way about Kohls. People rave about all the deals. I've never gotten any sort of deal. I can't be bothered to jump through 50 hoops though.

Everything is always on sale there. :glare:

I guess I don't mind the hoops. I get a 30% coupon in the mail. I then go and check the clearance racks. Almost always, my dd can find a top in juniors that is marked between $5 and $10 and then we take 30% off of that. She gets a cute top for under $7 and we are both happy. Plus, if they are offering Kohls cash on $50 purchases - I get $10 to spend later and usually spend only that and walk out with something. All while still using the 30% off coupon. That is the most complicated it can be. Sometimes I just go in and buy a pair of jeans for somebody in the family - $15 for ds minus 30% equals $10.50 for a brand new pair of jeans. I have given up on consignment shops because they want $8 to $10 for used. I will be checking to see if JC Penny's will be offering jeans in the $10 range, but without a coupon - I seriously don't see it getting to that price.

I am looking forward to trying out Penneys...gee maybe even tomorrow! I do tend to shop at Khols when iget the 30% off coupon, but I have had quality issues for some items. Shirts are made from such flimsy material plus a lot of their t shirts are super short. Or maybe I have a long torso!

Love getting the kids shirts for about the same price as at the thrift store though.

DS has had yet another growth spurt so we need more long pants to make it through the winter. Just noticed his shoes are starting to fall apart too!

I did get the catalogue and I found it incredibly hard to focus on any one thing. Lots of colorful pics of clothes lined up or even squished together, but hard to tell what any one item actually looks like. Still want to try them out though.

I have limited time, more money but am frugal. I don't care whether the price is a sale price or a regular price. I don't want to pay more than X for a certain product. NOw that X changes as prices change but between my health and all the things I am running around doing, I don't have time or energy to really shop sales. I think it will make it more likely that I buy.

:iagree: I don't shop looking specifically for sales. I know how much I want to spend on the items I'm looking for and I don't go over that. I only buy clothes at JCP and Kohl's because I never pay more than what I think I should pay. I do laugh when I shop at Kohl's and the cashier makes a point to tell me how much I've saved. I guess some people feel like they've really found a bargain.

I hope JCP doesn't look like Sears. I loved shopping at Sears until they made the big changes that made their stores look like Kmart and Walmart. I quit shopping at that store then.

I don't know. The prices on the website do look like the sale prices, but I don't usually even buy sale stuff at Kohl's unless I have a 20% or 30% off coupon. So even though the regular price for a blouse may be $20 instead of $40, if I shop sales at Kohl's and use a coupon, I can get a similar blouse for $14 or $16. It's nice thar they're simplifying the sales and gimmicks, but unless there are coupons as well,Kohl's will probably still get most of our business.

• 2 weeks later...

I just wanted to bump this thread - my mom and I went shopping at JCP today, and I hadn't been in the store since the changes. We weren't really expecting much, but were actually quite impressed! Many of the regular prices were really good and we got a ton of stuff on clearance. They had racks of stuff for $2 and $4 (I found several blouses and sweaters) and then had their gloves/hats/scarves sets and other gloves and hats for $1.

I just wanted to bump this thread - my mom and I went shopping at JCP today, and I hadn't been in the store since the changes. We weren't really expecting much, but were actually quite impressed! Many of the regular prices were really good and we got a ton of stuff on clearance. They had racks of stuff for $2 and $4 (I found several blouses and sweaters) and then had their gloves/hats/scarves sets and other gloves and hats for $1.

I looked at their website just yesterday and I like it much better.

I don't know. The prices on the website do look like the sale prices, but I don't usually even buy sale stuff at Kohl's unless I have a 20% or 30% off coupon. So even though the regular price for a blouse may be $20 instead of $40, if I shop sales at Kohl's and use a coupon, I can get a similar blouse for $14 or $16. It's nice thar they're simplifying the sales and gimmicks, but unless there are coupons as well,Kohl's will probably still get most of our business.

But the point of the new JCP policy is that you won't need coupons. You won't need to game the system to get a good price.

For example, I just went to the Kohl's and Penney's websites and looked at jeans for women. Penney's has multiple styles and brands ranging in price from $15 - $55, all . Seven styles are under $20. Kohl's says every pair of jeans they have is "on sale," but they have none at as low a price as Penney's. The cheapest style is on sale for $19.99. Even matching a sale with a 30% coupon would get you within $1 of the same price you'd pay at Penney's without the hassle.

I found similar price comparisons on everything I checked.

I'd all but given up going to JCP. But now I'm loving it. They used to send me stuff EVERY DAY. It must have cost a ton for all of those mailings. MY mailbox is happier, and I think the new prices are awesome. So is the layout of the few circulars I get.

Good on him, I say. I just may start shopping there again.