Menu

Do you freeze cheese?

I want to buy the bulk package of American cheese but would have to freeze some...can I freeze sliced cheese (for about 1 month) and it be ok? (not shredded)

ETA: A gal I babysat for had the American cheese in her freezer and I never heard of doing that. So I had to ask the Hive, of course :D!!

Edited by MissKNG

I freeze shredded cheese everytime I buy it. I purchase the bulk bags from Walmart and divide the cheese into 2 cup portions and put into smaller ziploc bags and put into my freezer. Never had an issue and I actually prefer my cheese to stay out of the fridge, because it gets eaten way to fast in my house!

Block cheese can be frozen but is extremely crumbly when used after freezing.

Sliced cheese, no..just eww. :lol:

No idea what brand it is but I found this on Sargento's website.

Can I freeze cheese?

Yes, our shredded and sliced cheeses and natural cheese snacks can be frozen for up to two months. If you’ve already opened the package, be sure to press out as much air as possible before reclosing the package. Freezing and thawing may change the texture of the cheese, making it more crumbly.

Sargento Ricotta cheese can also be frozen for up to two months, but freezing may affect the texture of the cheese. If you freeze it, we suggest thawing it in the refrigerator. After thawing, you may find some liquid on top of the cheese. Just stir that liquid back into the cheese.

And here's another from Borden cheese.

"All Borden cheese products can be frozen. However, due to the adverse effect that freezing has on the texture and appearance of the cheese, we recommend that you do not freeze Borden cheese."

So, "yes, you can," but "no, you shouldn't".

Even individually wrapped cheese slices dry out and become crumbly or mealy when frozen. Slices that have not been individually wrapped in a factory, such as blocks sliced at a deli, will suffer even more. You may be able to cook with them, but would definitely not want to eat them in a sandwich.

But, for heaven's sake, cheese slices stored in the refrigerator have a pretty long shelf-life as it is. One package of wrapped slices we have in a refrigerator has a "best-use date" of nearly a year from now. Keep the cheese tightly wrapped, with minimal exposure to air, in a cold place in the refrigerator — and don't forget about it. Surely you'll find ways to use it up while it is still fresh.

And another regarding Kraft cheese singles.

I was just wondering if you can freeze the Kraft Sliced American Cheese that is prepackaged and wrapped individually. I am getting a bunch of this free this week and hope I can freeze it or I will have to find quick uses for it and give it away to family and friends. I normally give away anyhow, but our kids use this everyday in their lunches so it would be great if it could be frozen. Thanks!!

Yes, but the trick is don't unwrap it frozen, it will crumble. Leave it on the counter awhile until it's defrosted.

And this is regarding cheese refridgerated.

Pre-sliced cheese and unopened velvetta can last up to a year when stored properly.

quote.gif

Edited by mamaofblessings

I buy in bulk quantities at Costco and yes, I have frozen the american singles. And yes, the trick for them is to thaw them before using them. I buy the Kirkland brand which is not individually wrapped. I would imagine that the any american cheese would be fine frozen. I do freeze blocks of cheese if I have extra and most of come out of the freezer just fine. Mozzerella freezes great. Anything else I usually don't have to freeze.

If it was only a month before you will use it, I would just leave it in the fridge.

My husband is the only one in the house who eats cheese. He goes through maybe a normal-sized chunk a week, and sometimes not that much.

When his preferred brand goes on sale, I buy a bunch and put them in the freezer.

This isn't sliced or shredded, just the chunk stuff. And I do notice that the ones I've frozed and defrosted can get a little crumbly when we try to slice them. But, in terms of flavor and such, they are just fine.

I freeze all types of cheese--shredded, slice, block, American, cheddar, etc. It's so much cheaper. You can notice a slight difference in the sliced, but it still has a good taste and isn't too crumbly. I just thaw it out in the fridge.

Along the same lines, I freeze all of my lunchmeat, too.