Menu

Help! STB6YO wants a "spa day" for her birthday...

and I've never so much as stepped foot in a nail salon! I need help! Stat!

She wants a pedi-mani type thing for herself and 1-2 friends. She wants a foot soak and/or massage type deal and to have her nails painted "fancy" (meaning paint and design or stickers or however they do it).

Where do I start? Do I just start calling aorund to see who will accomodate 2-3 little girls? I've tried google searching but the only "kids spa" near here is at the Great Wolf Lodge and REALLY expensive ($79/girl).

and I've never so much as stepped foot in a nail salon! I need help! Stat!

She wants a pedi-mani type thing for herself and 1-2 friends. She wants a foot soak and/or massage type deal and to have her nails painted "fancy" (meaning paint and design or stickers or however they do it).

Where do I start? Do I just start calling aorund to see who will accomodate 2-3 little girls? I've tried google searching but the only "kids spa" near here is at the Great Wolf Lodge and REALLY expensive ($79/girl).

Could you call a local beauty school and find out if any recent grads are looking for work and would be willing to come to your home for a flat fee? I don't know about nail techs, but usually cosmetology grads have their own tools.

I don't know if it would logistically work for them to have a pedi at a regular salon because their feet wouldn't reach! Could you just take them to the regular salon for the mani and then do something at home with lotions and pretty polish and so forth? Another route might be for you and dd to go out for one at a separate time but have the party be totally diy. I can remember being little and my friends and I doing each other's nails and playing spa. Lots of paints and things might be fun enough for most 6 yos.

Know a pair of teen girls who like to do their own nails and hair and would have fun (or you could hire) to come do pretty nails and some hair-dos -- or face paint?

You could supply the nail stickers/decals and nail polish, some packets of sparkly barrettes, bows and brushes, hair spray and lotions, some Dollar Store little plastic tubs and towels and let them have a fun giggly two hours! :)

Could you call a local beauty school and find out if any recent grads are looking for work and would be willing to come to your home for a flat fee? I don't know about nail techs, but usually cosmetology grads have their own tools.

She wants the experience of going somewhere special. She's never had so much as a haircut outside of our house (our friend is a hair dresser and comes to our house to do our cuts).

I don't know if it would logistically work for them to have a pedi at a regular salon because their feet wouldn't reach! Could you just take them to the regular salon for the mani and then do something at home with lotions and pretty polish and so forth? Another route might be for you and dd to go out for one at a separate time but have the party be totally diy. I can remember being little and my friends and I doing each other's nails and playing spa. Lots of paints and things might be fun enough for most 6 yos.

I hadn't thought of the chair thing. Like I said, I've never been in one of those places. I don't know about painting their nails myself.... I'm terrible! But maybe the mani would be enough to make her happy.

Know a pair of teen girls who like to do their own nails and hair and would have fun (or you could hire) to come do pretty nails and some hair-dos -- or face paint?

You could supply the nail stickers/decals and nail polish, some packets of sparkly barrettes, bows and brushes, hair spray and lotions, some Dollar Store little plastic tubs and towels and let them have a fun giggly two hours! :)

She is really set on the idea of going somewhere and having stuff done. And the only teen girls I know are from our Venture Crew and I can't see any of them doing their own hair/makeup, much less someone else's, lol!

Most smaller local places, even if they don't cater to kids, could handle two or three girls, I'd think. I have a friend who brought her 3yo in recently and they had a special cushion to push her forward on the chair so her feet would reach the footsoak. They see little girls pretty regularly for wedding parties, i guess. Usually a 4 or 5 yo flower girl who gets her mani/pedi with the rest of the wedding party. I'm not sure what they charge, but I'm pretty sure it's much less than $79/person. Mani/pedi's here usually run more like $30+tip.

We have two malls near our house (and we're in a fairly small city) and one of them has one kid's pedicure chair in the nail place in the mall). It's cute, it looks like a princess seat. But even the others I imagine would easily be able to put some sort of cushion there to boost the kids forward a little if they wanted a pedicure and had trouble reaching. None of them would turn us away even if we just walked in with three little girls wanting manicures and pedicures as they all take walk in appointments.

I would just try one of the nail places in your local mall!

In our area, there is a kids' hair salon that does little girls' birthdays parties... Hair in simple up does, lipgloss, and nail polish. Here it's called "Beaners". Maybe there's something like that near you...

Heather

The kids' salon here does parties but their packages are for a "princess hair do" vs. mani-pedi type deal. As far as I can tell from their services list, they don't even paint nails there. Weird.

Here's a girls' spa that's a chain, maybe there's one by you or maybe to give you some ideas:

http://www.sweetandsassy.com/index.php

That looks cute. Sadly, there isn't one anywhere in WA.

Our town has one of those... and a crazy hot pink limo to drive all of the party girls to the place! EXPENSIVE $$$$!!! :glare:

That's crazy!

Do be careful if you find something to make sure they are reputable and that they clean their tools and so forth. I am not big into it but I know people who are and they are pretty picky about where they go.

That is one of the reasons I have never had a pedicure or manicure. That and the fact that I don't like to be touched, and especially on the feet. My thought is that as long as I find a clean, reputable place, only have a foot soak or massage rather than a full-on manicure with cut, trim, sand, etc., and then purchase fresh bottles of polish for each girl, it should be ok. Am I wrong in that thought process?

Most smaller local places, even if they don't cater to kids, could handle two or three girls, I'd think. I have a friend who brought her 3yo in recently and they had a special cushion to push her forward on the chair so her feet would reach the footsoak. They see little girls pretty regularly for wedding parties, i guess. Usually a 4 or 5 yo flower girl who gets her mani/pedi with the rest of the wedding party. I'm not sure what they charge, but I'm pretty sure it's much less than $79/person. Mani/pedi's here usually run more like $30+tip.

I think the prices at GWL are way out of line, but then again it is GWL and everything there is expensive, lol. I know the kids would think it was great but I can't justify spending that much, even for a birthday! Typically we take the kids to a bounce house or bowling or rollerskating and get by with a party for 8 kids for about $100.... so $100-120 (including lunch) is my budgetary goal here.

We have two malls near our house (and we're in a fairly small city) and one of them has one kid's pedicure chair in the nail place in the mall). It's cute, it looks like a princess seat. But even the others I imagine would easily be able to put some sort of cushion there to boost the kids forward a little if they wanted a pedicure and had trouble reaching. None of them would turn us away even if we just walked in with three little girls wanting manicures and pedicures as they all take walk in appointments.

I would just try one of the nail places in your local mall!

I guess I need to start actually looking inside the nail places that I typically walk by. Thankfully I have about a month to figure this out!

:iagree: The beauty school would be your best lead. They would either offer the service themselves or tell you where to go. I'd call and explain your situation and budget. If that fails, call any hair shop that does nails and ask. If you don't go at peak times SOMEONE will be happy to have your business.