Menu

Does PS teach diagramming?

1GirlTwinBoys

I went to a fancy private school in NYC, graduated in 87. I believe we did a little bit of diagramming, definitely grammar. My husband went to yeshiva in NYC and then to Columbia. He is studying Latin with my younger and is only now learning what the parts of speech are. (Okay, he knew noun and verb, and maybe adjective, but that's about the extent of it). He also acknowledges he is a poorer writer for it.

I had a wonderful, older teacher in middle school for grammar and a separate writing class for 2 years. She made us chant the helping words, the forms of be, and sing a silly song to say the present tense, past tense, and helper tense of a word. She was a very classical educator, and this was in public school in the late 80s. We diagrammed like crazy! I will also say that in 1st hr, all of the boys were in P.E., so it was an all girl class. I don't know if she did more with us than she did with the boys or not. I can still chant and sing the things she taught us and I use the same rhythms with my children that she used with us. Rod and Staff goes right along the same lines of the things we had to memorize, but starts it at a younger age. I am doing the helper verb lists and such with my 4th grader this year. And I miss Mrs. L every day :) She was awesome.