Menu

What is fair in this situation? Leaking roof

I tend to want to "go to the mattresses" in these situations so I need input on what is fair.

-older home, no roof leaks

-14 months ago we replaced the roof because the shingles were curling

-2 year warranty on labor, 5 year warranty on shingles

-Sunday night we had a leak in the kitchen but not in an area that did any damage

-Monday, roofer said the valley needs replaced

-they didn't get it done so this morning they tarped part of the roof because we are supposed to get rain for the next two days

-tonight I noticed a leak in my bedroom

-plaster and boards in the ceiling are soaked, attic beams are soaked, insulation is probably soaked

-water leaked onto our TV, I have no idea if it is ruined or not

Once the leak is fixed, what about the plaster? What about the paint? Who is responsible for painting the ceiling? What if there is mold in the attic now (it isn't a section we can get to to check)??

:confused:

Call your home insurance agent.

Pay the deductible. They send out people to assess damage like ServPro and once the deductible is paid and out of pocket costs like ServPro (ours was $3500) -- then the insurance pays for repair. But then we had widespread flooding of the first floor of our home. Check your policy.

Worst case scenario... keep all receipts of repair and go to small claims court.

Pay the deductible. They send out people to assess damage like ServPro and once the deductible is paid and out of pocket costs like ServPro (ours was $3500) -- then the insurance pays for repair. But then we had widespread flooding of the first floor of our home. Check your policy.

Worst case scenario... keep all receipts of repair and go to small claims court.

$5000 deductible. I doubt there is that much damage.

We had that happen and the roof was replaced but our homeowner's insurance had to cover the inside damage. It was a nightmare, but turned out ok. We should have sued the roofer to recover our deductible but a lawyer told us it wasn't worth it. In hindsight, I wish we hadn't listened to him...just the principle of the thing.

Is there much damage? I think plaster is much more forgiving then drywall- our house has plaster and it dried out well but left water stains.

Sorry you're going through this- roof leaks are horrible little beasts.

Well, this is going to get interesting.

Called the salesman we've been dealing with this morning. His first comment to me was, "It really sounds like you have wind damage":glare:.

The guy that tarped the roof came out again to tarp another section. He said it looks like the drip edge was put over the paper :confused: and it should be the other way. He basically told me that the roof was done wrong. I hope he doesn't get in trouble for his honesty.

So, now we wait for the salesman to call back. I hope he'll be a man and accept responsibility.

Called the salesman we've been dealing with this morning. His first comment to me was, "It really sounds like you have wind damage":glare:.

The guy that tarped the roof came out again to tarp another section. He said it looks like the drip edge was put over the paper :confused: and it should be the other way. He basically told me that the roof was done wrong. I hope he doesn't get in trouble for his honesty.

So, now we wait for the salesman to call back. I hope he'll be a man and accept responsibility.

At this point you need to get another evaluation by someone unconnected to the company, as quickly as you can manage it.

Wind damage on a new roof? I don't buy it, not unless you have had a tornado.

Hold your ground, get another evaluation, take millions of pictures asap, and document everything.

The roofing company should have insurance to pay for the damage from the leaks from faulty materials and/or their labor. Have them file a claim to pay for the damage with their insurance company - OR - call your insurance company and have them start the process through them, but they'll go after the roofers insurance for payment.

You need another opinion. If you needed a permit from your town/village to install the roof you might want to start there and have them send an inspector out. My mother had her roof replaced and the village inspector came to approve it and made the roofing company remove it the next day and start over. Apparently they had put it on wrong. There was no additional cost to my mother, although she did have to endure the inconvenience of it all.

I tend to want to "go to the mattresses" in these situations so I need input on what is fair.

-older home, no roof leaks

-14 months ago we replaced the roof because the shingles were curling

-2 year warranty on labor, 5 year warranty on shingles

-Sunday night we had a leak in the kitchen but not in an area that did any damage

-Monday, roofer said the valley needs replaced

-they didn't get it done so this morning they tarped part of the roof because we are supposed to get rain for the next two days

-tonight I noticed a leak in my bedroom

-plaster and boards in the ceiling are soaked, attic beams are soaked, insulation is probably soaked

-water leaked onto our TV, I have no idea if it is ruined or not

Once the leak is fixed, what about the plaster? What about the paint? Who is responsible for painting the ceiling? What if there is mold in the attic now (it isn't a section we can get to to check)??

:confused:

i say they are libal for all of it