Menu

Beginning chapter book for boy ages 5-7

MellowYellow

I know some folks on here aren't a big fan but my boys LOVE Magic Tree House books. We use them as jumping off points to study things more in depth. These books were the key to my son (7) going from early readers to chapter books. He will read one and then we will go to the library and pick out books to read on the same topic (for instance, we just finished the one on Civil War and picked up several other books today on that topic). Magic Tree House has really inspired him to read, read, read !!

Another good early chapter book series is the Mercy Watson series. It is easy to read and really funny - all of my boys love them (3, 5 and 7).

He can probably read Nate the Great, Henry and Mudge, Fly Guy and maybe Mercy Watson on his own without you. They're not that much harder than the readers if a child is a decent ways into the program. My best recommendation is Ricky Ricotta's Giant Robot by Dav Pilkey. Very, very short. Silly, but not a potty humor as Pilkey's Captain Underpants series (it's also much easier).

My newish reader surprised me by really enjoying the Usborne Treasury of Stories for Boys, which I got for a buck at the thrift store. It's big and thick but the stories are short.

If you want something very slightly harder other than the Magic Treehouse, we all loved Stink by Megan MacDonald (he's a sweet kid with a nice family, he just has a funny nickname).

We took a break from MTH and my 7yo ds just asked me today to get more. He said that they were about History and he wanted to learn more. Love that!

We really enjoy the 26 Fairmount Ave series by Tomie dePaola, too.

Also loving the Almanzo books from My First Little House books. I have just ordered some of the 'in-between' books (Laura series books, maybe?) and a chapter book, Farm Boy, too, from the library.