Menu

backyard playthings

We moved into a house with a yard not long ago and my 6yo and almost-4yo still seem weirdly clueless about how to amuse themselves out in the yard. I have been utterly mystified (and not a little frustrated) about this, since they will play happily for hours at a playground.

However, I recently realized that the issue may be that what they like to do is pretend play and they are a bit short on 'props' out there. They have some bats and balls but are not interested in playing with them -- they want to come inside to use their blocks and cars. The yard itself is small, with a bit of grass and a paved section. There are a few trees but not many loose sticks, moveable rocks, etc. Once this all dawned on me, I immediately made the executive decision that they were allowed to dig up a part of the yard (sorry 'bout the grass, DH :001_smile:) and they have been happily occupied out there for much of the past week making "Egyptian mudbricks."

But I think that giving them some more stuff to use out there would go a long way. (And possibly spare a bit of the grass.) Suggestions? In the house, they mostly use their wooden blocks, toy cars, and dress-up clothes. When we first moved they got a lot of mileage out of some of the moving boxes, but after the boxes got caught in the rain that was pretty much the end of that.

Ideas? What do your young ones like to play with outside?

all kinds of balls

bats

cars and trucks -- all sizes but especially the bigger ones

plastic kitchen set with dishes

ride on toys

push mower

weed eater

chain saw

tools

All these were "outside" toys and not brought in the house. I had a big tote with lid that toys were kept in.

Some toys were inside toys that we decided would be good for outside and alot were bought at yard sales and 2nd hand stores.

little pop up kids tent

http://www.amazon.com/Pacific-Play-Tents-Too-Tent/dp/B00000IURZ/ref=pd_sim_t_2

vinyl tunnel

http://www.amazon.com/Pacific-Play-Tents-Multi-Tunnel/dp/B00009IMAS/ref=sr_1_2?s=toys-and-games&ie=UTF8&qid=1327377355&sr=1-2

parachute

http://www.amazon.com/Pacific-Play-Tents-Playchute-Parachute/dp/B00000IURU/ref=sr_1_1?s=toys-and-games&ie=UTF8&qid=1327377445&sr=1-1

big boxes (found some good ones on Craigslist)

used pie tins and cookie sheet

dinosaur excavation kits (too messy for inside)

http://www.amazon.com/Dig-A-Dino-Tyrannosaurus-Rex/dp/B000ICZ8RK/ref=sr_1_1?s=toys-and-games&ie=UTF8&qid=1327377489&sr=1-1

We have a little stage with a shower curtain in our back yard. That's been a lot of fun for them.

(Grandpa built it for them)

ETA: mine also loved it when I'd give them a bucket of water, dish soap, food coloring, whisk, funnels, plastic beakers, plastic pitchers and containers.

Summer basics:

A little pile of sand.

A little pile of stones and pebbles.

A little pile of sticks.

Metal spoons and a couple plastic bowls.

Access to water.

A tree to climb.

Winter basics:

A simple sled or sliding device, with rope attached if yard is completely flat.

The same spoons and bowls.

A carrot. (Good for snowman noses or feeding errant snowshoe hares.)

A spray bottle with water and food colouring is nice for tinting the snow.

Beyond the basics:

Hula hoops (spin them, chase them, create obstacle courses, even hula with them).

Scooter.

Balls.

Chalk.

A teepee (tripod of wood with fabric to cover).

Bubbles.

Skipping ropes (good for more than skipping).

ETA: Oooh, the tunnel... yes! We rolled down our small hill in that thing until it fell apart. Good for hiding, rolling, popping out of, imaginary play. Highly recommended.

Totally agree with water play with accessories (food colour, beater, soap). We used a baby bathtub, and that kept dd occupied for many, many hours of her life.

Edited by GingerPoppy

Sandbox, one of those hand-operated diggers

Sticks

Swingset -- climbing rope, swings, slide, platform for fort

More sticks

Playhouse

Even more sticks

Trees, old stone wall, old barn, big hill, rocks, logs, woods

Here's a new idea -- sticks!

Tent/teepee/fort

Build a sunflower house

Ride-on vehicles, bikes, trikes, scooters

Cars and trucks

Balls

Nature equipment -- bags, journals, bug collecting paraphernelia, net

Space to plant flowers/their own garden

Wagon

Pogo balls

Sprinkler/hose/sprayer

Bubbles

Chalk

Paintbrushes with water (great for little ones)

Remote control car

Roller skates

Big metal dump truck that can be loaded and unloaded

Dress-up clothes, whatever other pretend play props they haul out there -- pioneer gear, Star Wars lightsabers/blasters, Davy Crockett-esque guns

Soccer ball/goal

And a few more sticks on top of all of that

In addition to the above...

a board (without splinters) laid across some bricks to make a low bridge. Or some stepping stones arranged in an enticing pattern.

If the trees will support it, my kids love our hanging chair

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005CNLU0E/ref=asc_df_B005CNLU0E1872146?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=asn&creative=395093&creativeASIN=B005CNLU0E

Hang it low enough they can get in an out easily by themselves.

A kid's garden with things that smell nice -- basil, mint (chocolate or orange are fun), rosemary, lavender, etc. My boys would make concoctions out of my herbs, some flowers, and water. Then they would be medieval sorcerers.

A sprinkler for hot weather.

My kids can keep themselves busy for quite a while with some sidewalk chalk. They're boys, so they get bored with drawing pictures and spend great deals of time crushing the sidewalk chalk into a pulp and smearing it around. It keeps them busy.

One of their favorite outdoor toys was a little dog on wheels. They tied a rope around its neck like a leash, and they drag that thing everywhere like a pet.

They also like to give each other rides in the wagon.

What we had in the backyard for our kids:

Old pieces of hosepipe

Broken Tupperware (some from Goodwill and some from a Tupperware sales lady in our area who had warranty items that couldn't be returned to the company)

Sand toys, even though we didn't have a sand box

Hubby built a swinging disk for the kids out of 4x4 posts, rope, and a wooden disk.

Tonka trucks from Goodwill

We had a very small backyard that was mostly dirt. At it's largest, it was 20x30 feet. But the kids would play in it for hours once we added the swing and the broken Tupperware. the boys loved to take turns pushing each other around in the Tonka trucks then dumping each onto the dirt.