Menu

Looking at state test, question about syllabication.

Veritaserum

This is a Grade 4 English year-end test.

Which word follows the same syllabication rule as pinto and marble?

A. manner

B. royal

C. shelter

D. punish

I don't have an answer key, but I think shelter is the answer and not manner.

PIN-to

MAR-ble

SHEL-ter?

Here are some other syllabication questions on the test.

Which word follows the same syllabication rules as furnish and pilgrim?

A. onion

B. overhead

C. human

D. harvest

I think harvest is the answer here.

FUR-nish

PIL-grim

HAR-vest

Which word follows the same syllabication rule as perfect and lantern?

A. magnet

B. least

C. hotel

D. movies

Magnet?

PER-fect

LAN-tern

MAG-net

My kids are doing state testing for the first time this year, so I've been looking at the tests to see if they need exposure to topics we haven't covered. We've done syllabication in spelling, but not in this way.

A. manner

B. royal

C. shelter

D. punish

PIN-to

MAR-ble

SHEL-ter?

My first thought was MAN-ner, but I don't see anything different about SHEL-ter, except the number of letters in the first syllable. I could really go either way. I think that's a bad question. :tongue_smilie:

A. onion

B. overhead

C. human

D. harvest

FUR-nish

PIL-grim

HAR-vest

A. magnet

B. least

C. hotel

D. movies

Magnet?

PER-fect

LAN-tern

MAG-net

My kids are doing state testing for the first time this year, so I've been looking at the tests to see if they need exposure to topics we haven't covered. We've done syllabication in spelling, but not in this way.

I chose the same as you for the other two questions.

All your examples show the word are words dividing between two unlike consonants. The answer should be a word that divides between two unlike consonants as well.

Actually I don't like the first question, because pinto (pin-to) and marble (mar-ble) are two different syllibication patterns. Pinto divides between two unlike consonants, but marble ends with le, so the consonant goes with the -le. That is why table is divided ta-ble.

All your answers were the correct ones.

Linda

My first thought was MAN-ner, but I don't see anything different about SHEL-ter, except the number of letters in the first syllable. I could really go either way. I think that's a bad question. :tongue_smilie:

I chose the same as you for the other two questions.

I agree that it's a bad question! :) I wonder who writes these tests? I thought shelter simply because the two consonants in the middle are different from each other. Manner uses doubled consonants in the middle to keep the a in the first syllable short.

I never learned syllabication. I have no clue! What do you use to teach it and what benefit does it have?

I've only learned and taught it where it applies to spelling. Closed syllables (consonant at the end of the syllable) make the vowel in the syllable say its short sound. bitter BIT-ter The unsweetened chocolate is bitter. Open syllables (single vowel at the end of the syllable) make the vowel say its long sound. biter BI-ter Watch out! That baby is a biter.

All your examples show the word are words dividing between two unlike consonants. The answer should be a word that divides between two unlike consonants as well.

Actually I don't like the first question, because pinto (pin-to) and marble (mar-ble) are two different syllibication patterns. Pinto divides between two unlike consonants, but marble ends with le, so the consonant goes with the -le. That is why table is divided ta-ble.

Linda

Thanks. I had the same thought about marble. Consonant-l-e syllable vs. consonant-vowel in pinto.

My first thought was MAN-ner, but I don't see anything different about SHEL-ter, except the number of letters in the first syllable. I could really go either way. I think that's a bad question.

"Manner" is different because it's divided between two of the same letters. Its root word is "manse." "Shelter" is divided between two different letters.

Linda

:iagree: I understand why shelter is the answer and it is what I would have picked but it could be confusing for a 4th grader.

The problem is that there is a morphological way to divide "Syllables" that has spelling books encouraging kids to divide them like: Teach.er and a phonological way that would divide it like tea.cher. The truth is that syllables are a tricky thing to pick out and their existence is even questioned by linguists. So... while I think it's a silly thing to test on, I think the test writers want you to look at Consonant-Vowel patterns.

For instance, English likes onsets (consonants at the beginning of the syllable). So look for CVC.CVC or CV.CV rather than CVCC.VC OR CVC.V

I can see where they're wanting "shelter" because of the different consonants, but when I look at it, I see both consonants and don't really care whether they're the same or not. :tongue_smilie:In both cases, you're dividing between two consonants. I still think it's a bad question.

And really, pin-to is closed-open, and mar-ble is r_controlled-consonant+le. So they're not even really that much alike.

Stupid tests. :lol:

Linda

:iagree: I understand why shelter is the answer and it is what I would have picked but it could be confusing for a 4th grader.

The problem is that there is a morphological way to divide "Syllables" that has spelling books encouraging kids to divide them like: Teach.er and a phonological way that would divide it like tea.cher. The truth is that syllables are a tricky thing to pick out and their existence is even questioned by linguists. So... while I think it's a silly thing to test on, I think the test writers want you to look at Consonant-Vowel patterns.

For instance, English likes onsets (consonants at the beginning of the syllable). So look for CVC.CVC or CV.CV rather than CVCC.VC OR CVC.V

I can see where they're wanting "shelter" because of the different consonants, but when I look at it, I see both consonants and don't really care whether they're the same or not. :tongue_smilie:In both cases, you're dividing between two consonants. I still think it's a bad question.

And really, pin-to is closed-open, and mar-ble is r_controlled-consonant+le. So they're not even really that much alike.

Stupid tests. :lol:

:iagree::iagree::iagree: with all of these!

Why teach syllabication--it helps with both reading and spelling. Reading because when students are struggling with reading a word, chunking it into syllables helps them to remember pieces of the word and put it together. It's easier to hold a syllable chunk in the working memory than all of the individual sounds.

With spelling, understanding the syllable types can help you understand and remember certain spelling patterns.

Merry :-)

A. manner

B. royal

C. shelter

D. punish

PIN-to

MAR-ble

SHEL-ter?

A. onion

B. overhead

C. human

D. harvest

FUR-nish

PIL-grim

HAR-vest

A. magnet

B. least

C. hotel

D. movies

Magnet?

PER-fect

LAN-tern

MAG-net

I would agree with you. Do you have an answer key and it's saying something different?