Menu

Book on Church History

If you want to know about the history of the Church as she went East, the standard text is "The Orthodox Church" by Timothy Ware (now Metropolitan Kallistos). It is required reading in many Christian colleges, and is part of the Sonlight reading program, as well.

I have read a lot of church histories over the years, and I have to say that I think you will find that *every* history has a bias--it can't be helped; authors are human. If you are really interested in the subject, plan on reading more than 2 histories. :0)

I agree. The trick is to get started with something that is comprehensive yet doable.

This isn't exactly what you asked for but I'm currently reading. 131 Christians Everyone Should Know from the Editors of Christian History magazine. It has sent me on a lot of rabbit trails about particular movements or issues that are referenced in the stories.

Off topic...but I love the Logos Bible software that I bought dh for Christmas. Either on my desktop or on the ipad I can read these books in the Vryso reader app and then research those rabbit trails electronically. It's a huge time saver.

I have read a lot of church histories over the years, and I have to say that I think you will find that *every* history has a bias--it can't be helped; authors are human. If you are really interested in the subject, plan on reading more than 2 histories. :0)

I agree with Patty Joanna about bias. We are reading through B.K. Kuiper's "The Church in History" this year as a resource book for TOG YR-2. Although there are things I really appreciate about this book, we can definitely see by the treatment of Arminian theology in the text that it has a Reformed slant on church history. Since we have a Methodist background and lean more toward Wesleyan/Arminian theology - I am presenting it to my dd and adding lots of time for discussions so I can also teach her another viewpoint along with the author's bias.

Bottom line in my post is to suggest Kuiper's book, but be aware that it presents history from a Reformed point of view. (Which is the same to a degree as TOG curriculum as well - which is why they chose Kuiper's book, I'm sure.) If you are Calvinist then there will be no issue, but if you are Eastern Orthodox or of an Arminian pov, then you'll have to make some adjustments.

Blessings,

Lucinda

Church History in Plain Language--This is the one used in my high school church history course. I liked it so well I have bought the updated text over the years. It was also recommended to me by a seminary professor. It's not just good information--it truly is "plain language" and very readable.

I read this in my biblical history and kept it it was so readable and used it since! I want this in Kindle format I think!

Henry Chadwick is/was a very respected author - both East and West. If you can find a church history book by him in the library, it's worth a look.

That's also what I was going to suggest. His books are often found at the library and in second-hand stores which is a bonus. Also, his brother Owen Chadwick's books are very worthwhile - The Reformation is a classic.

Edited by Bluegoat