Menu

DS (6) doesn't want me to read to him anymore....

My 6 y/o used to ALWAYS want me to read-aloud with him and lately when I ask him he says, "No thanks". :( It makes me so sad! I'm wondering if this is because 1) he can now read on his own (and does quite a bit throughout the day) or 2) since we had our second and 3rd child I have been unable to sit and read with him for hours at a time like we used to. I feel horrible! If I *strongly encourage* him to read with me he will, but is totally fine when 10 minutes later his baby sister is fussing and I need to stand and bounce with her. Have I ruined it forever?

So has anyone else experienced this? Will he ever enjoy reading-aloud with me again? Do I just need to start doing it A LOT with him again? Or is just because he's getting older (and can now read himself)? :(

Once my dss learned to read they were so self-empowered, they wanted to read on their own most of the time. However, there were some books they really wanted to read, but didn't have a high enough reading level for yet, and they liked to sit and listen to me read those. Another idea-does your dh read to him? When their younger brother was likely to distract us from our book, they were less likely to want to read w/me too-it's frustrating to have to stop a book when it's getting good!

If I read aloud I usually read aloud books that are way above their reading level . Hah ! So if they say " let me read it " I hand it over and they look at it and try to read it but then stumble over the words then they say " Okay mom , you read it ! " I'm always trying to be one step ahead .

Plus bedtime stories are always read by mom or dad . There is no compromise . WEther they are sitting on the bed , laying in bed they have to listen . Even if they close their eyes :>)

I've always left reading stories when little ones are in bed when there are few or no distractions .

If that's impossible that's when I pull out the bouncy seat or some other toys . I've also nursed and read too at the same time :>)

Your 2 year old could sit and listen to short stories right now and if he can't then getting those crayons and paper out to draw while you read helps .

Even if you don't get to read for hours at a time , which I don't get to do anymore either :>)

If I read aloud I usually read aloud books that are way above their reading level . Hah ! So if they say " let me read it " I hand it over and they look at it and try to read it but then stumble over the words then they say " Okay mom , you read it ! " I'm always trying to be one step ahead .

Plus bedtime stories are always read by mom or dad . There is no compromise . WEther they are sitting on the bed , laying in bed they have to listen . Even if they close their eyes :>)

I've always left reading stories when little ones are in bed when there are few or no distractions .

If that's impossible that's when I pull out the bouncy seat or some other toys . I've also nursed and read too at the same time :>)

Your 2 year old could sit and listen to short stories right now and if he can't then getting those crayons and paper out to draw while you read helps .

Even if you don't get to read for hours at a time , which I don't get to do anymore either :>)

so have your kids asked to read to themselves at bedtime too??? I never thought of making it *mandatory* for mom or dad to read to him (but i really like that idea!) Do you read picture books or above their reading level chapter books?

My kids are older but don't want evening read alouds any more. I grieved somewhat, because it had been an evening ritual since they were toddlers to have a night time read aloud, but it has also freed up some evening time for me and I guess it's just part of growing up.

But, I read some books to them during the day as part of school. Could you do that? Choose one or two books that are above his reading level and read them during school time? I also read poetry aloud every day to my kids too, and to me it is important that I read it expressively so that they can hear how poetry should be read and appreciated...to the best of my ability, anyway. It's hard to appreciate poetry without reading it aloud.

Perhaps you could buddy read, as well. Read a page each- but harder than the books he would normally be reading alone.

My 6 y/o used to ALWAYS want me to read-aloud with him and lately when I ask him he says, "No thanks". :( It makes me so sad! I'm wondering if this is because 1) he can now read on his own (and does quite a bit throughout the day) or 2) since we had our second and 3rd child I have been unable to sit and read with him for hours at a time like we used to. I feel horrible! If I *strongly encourage* him to read with me he will, but is totally fine when 10 minutes later his baby sister is fussing and I need to stand and bounce with her. Have I ruined it forever?

So has anyone else experienced this? Will he ever enjoy reading-aloud with me again? Do I just need to start doing it A LOT with him again? Or is just because he's getting older (and can now read himself)? :(

Is there any way you can set aside at least 20 minutes of uninterrupted time just to read to him? I'm thinking while the baby is napping you can steal some time. Hopefully your 2yo will be able to sit and listen without too many interruptions either. He's still so young that I think it'd be a shame to give up on read-aloud time with him altogether. Why don't you talk to him and explain that you just can't devote hours of uninterrupted reading time with him, but you really want to spend at least a small amount of time reading aloud together. I bet he'll change his mind.

I'd say that it is extremely important for a new reader (i.e. for the first few years or being a new reader, minimum) to hear someone read with elocution, expression and emphasis. I think this will help their own read-aloud skills and it will expand their vocabulary and even their own reading.

So at my house, mom reading to a child (or big sis or dad reading) is required. Of course, I haven't run into any reluctance.

I would limit or get rid of TV or video or gameboy type toys if that was a "competition".

just my 2cents

lisaj, mom to 5 and I just taught my last one to read :()

Could it just be the time of year?

I know we haven't done much reading aloud in the last month or so, just because the kids have been so busy. The neighbors are home from school, its nice outside, and we have baseball most nights (some games we don't get home until after 9:00).

When they are still in bed in the mornings seems to work best for us, and the little ones are most likely to be in a good mood too. If I go in to wake them up with a book and read while they are still in bed, I usually have a captive audience!

I've been experiencing the same with my two middle children. They're always reading to themselves and ask me to a lot less, which has been so sad for me- only my 4 year old still comes up to me all day saying "Will you read this to me?" I will so miss hearing that in the future. But I read aloud as a part of school time and I insist before they go to bed. Dd is fine with that, she'll listen to me read something and then climb into bed and read to herself for awhile. I have to insist on it with ds7, I do try to pick stuff way above his reading level, as others have mentioned.

I still read to my almost 14 year old because we use SL, which has read alouds. (he's actually going to be in the cores with no read alouds soon though, but I'm still going to pick a few to read to him). It's been a great bonding time for us; although he never would have asked, it's made me realize that they're often open to it if you offer.

Maybe during naptime for the baby or some time that is uninterrupted, you can establish a read aloud time?