Menu

Plan my trip for me -- Hawaii Version

It looks like we have 6 days off and rather than trying to go skiing, we have made a spontaneous decision to go to Hawaii. I used mileage points and have now have 4 non-refundable tickets to Honolulu. But what do I do now? I usually mull over vacation options for months... But we're leaving in a week and a half!

Should we just stay in Oahu? Will we have time to go to another island? What transportation options are there?

Do we want to rent a car?

Where should we stay?

What should we do?

Help me!

Here's the family:

Me: I spent a few months in Honolulu as a kid and have never visited any other island. I don't like the beach particularly and am more interested in cultural activities, hiking and kayaking. I do like tours.

My partner: Loves beaches, will love Hawaiian kitch, probably quite happy in Waikiki. Also loves high adrenaline activities (zip lines, rafting)

Older daughter: Volcanoes.

Younger daughter: Beach, also high adrenaline activities.

We're a little bit on the cheap side, but don't have to be on a particularly tight budget.

We go about four times a year there...(Oahu)

Yes you want a car.

There are no active volcanoes on Oahu.

If you want people and want to spend a bunch of money, stay in Waikiki. If not, the North Shore is where you want to be.

Stay off the West Side.

Do not swim at the North Shore. NO NO NO very dangerous...very.

Do:

Sunset Beach

Use the long route on the east side to get there, the drive is unreal, come home (Waikiki if you stay there) down "the middle". Get a map, you'll see there's only a few major roads.

Plan: Around the rush hours. They are worse than you can imagine. Do not fool with rush hour trying to get back to the airport, you'll miss your flight home.

Cool stuff: Marianas Marina (Anthony Bourdain turned us onto that one). Do find plate lunch somewhere to be authentic, do be culturally sensitive to the Hawaiians way of life and slow down, no rushing, no honking your horn EVER. They are very gracious laid back people.

Skip packing a few things if you are staying "in town" and just get stuff at ABC (this is where you want to score trinkets if this is an issue)

Do: Pali Point (read some history before you go.

Bishop Museum is way cool...way neat.

We normally stay at the Hawaiian Village. If you stay there, ask for an upgrade when checking in. The Tapa Tower is the best of the bunch there, you get a private pool and food for free in secret.

Do: Waiminalo Beach. It is **THE** best beach in the whole freakin' world. If there are jellyfish signs out, believe this to be true and watch out.

Do be aware if you run around acting like a tourist, you're at risk for theft and more. Just blend in, if you stay in Waikiki, be aware there is an element of risk during the night. Lots of vagrant stuff going on, be careful, take nothing of value.

If you like shopping, totally absolutely do Luxury Row. Go up and see 88Tees, it's a rip and a half of coolness.

Do see: The Royal Hawaiian Hotel. Do have a snack at Dukes. People watching there is absolutely elite. You'll be amazed at who you spot (fame wise). Walk in the hotel and wander around, they don't care.

Skip the aquarium, and totally skip the Polynesia Cultural Center. Total tourist trap and loss of a day. Stop at Sharks Cove on the North Shore, absolutely purchase dive boots before you go, this is for real, it's not Disney and there are things in the water that want to hurt you.

I could go on and on, it's like my second home....

Waimea Valley is a holy place. Absolutely worth going, but take mosquito spray, we've run out of there before..in a panic running...you can swim in the waterfall there, it's really something else. Very historic, and like I said, it's a Holy place.

Up in Haliewa town, do NOT miss the Artis family. Unexplainable, but do not miss them, they are incredible amazing and can change your life. I met them about six years ago, Mr. Ron Artis has since passed away, but his family still performs there.

There's a small sugar mill there in Haliewa, that's awesome and very local too.

We used to live on Oahu!

You DEFINITELY need a car!! There is so much more to see on the island than just Waikiki.... and if you don't have car, that's probably all you'll see!

When we go back, I want to stay at the new Disney Aulani Resort, which is in Kapolei, where we used to live :)

There is also Ko Olina, there in Kapolei, oh the lagoons are wonderful!!

You can just Google all these to see them :)

Be VERY careful about where you stay if you stay in Waikiki!!! Some of those hotels are D-I-N-G-Y!!! I know they all have purty pictures on their websites, but trust me, not all of them are as they seem!! When I was trying to decide which hotel to stay in for our last 10 days on the island.... I walked up/down the strip in Waikiki and looked at hotels, and saw rooms in most of them. HOLY COW!! For some of them, they were still decorated the same way they were back in the 70's, and I'm not exaggerating....

Read hotel reviews very carefully!! I suggest going to booking.com to read hotel reviews. I wouldn't actually book through them (personally) but they only put up reviews by people who have booked through them and actually stayed there.... so you will find honest reviews, and not have hotels writing bad reviews on each others page.

I would highly suggest splurging on your hotel, stay in as nice a place as possible and be more budget about everything else. (are you government or military?? If so you can stay at the Hale Koa!) The nicer hotels have private beach access and more amenities... the beach is free. Driving around the island (and beach hopping) is Free. You only need to do one luau. Check the reviews and see which one is currently the best. You really don't need to spend too much money on food. Good food is everywhere there. Around the North Shore they have these food trucks that serve peel n' eat shrimp and they are sooooo good!!

We didn't do many tours, cause we lived there, LOL. I would visit Pearl Harbor, and Hanuama Bay (but get there early!!) OH, once, we did do one of those 3 hour boat tours, where they anchor out in a deep area and you jump off, or ride the slide, into the water to swim and snorkel. You can feed the tropical fish. Plus they carry the water trampolines behind them. It was super fun..... even if I did get sick :)

We go about four times a year there...(Oahu)

Yes you want a car.

There are no active volcanoes on Oahu.

If you want people and want to spend a bunch of money, stay in Waikiki. If not, the North Shore is where you want to be.

Stay off the West Side.

Do not swim at the North Shore. NO NO NO very dangerous...very.

Do:

Sunset Beach

Use the long route on the east side to get there, the drive is unreal, come home (Waikiki if you stay there) down "the middle". Get a map, you'll see there's only a few major roads.

Plan: Around the rush hours. They are worse than you can imagine. Do not fool with rush hour trying to get back to the airport, you'll miss your flight home.

Cool stuff: Marianas Marina (Anthony Bourdain turned us onto that one). Do find plate lunch somewhere to be authentic, do be culturally sensitive to the Hawaiians way of life and slow down, no rushing, no honking your horn EVER. They are very gracious laid back people.

Skip packing a few things if you are staying "in town" and just get stuff at ABC (this is where you want to score trinkets if this is an issue)

Do: Pali Point (read some history before you go.

Bishop Museum is way cool...way neat.

We normally stay at the Hawaiian Village. If you stay there, ask for an upgrade when checking in. The Tapa Tower is the best of the bunch there, you get a private pool and food for free in secret.

Do: Waiminalo Beach. It is **THE** best beach in the whole freakin' world. If there are jellyfish signs out, believe this to be true and watch out.

Do be aware if you run around acting like a tourist, you're at risk for theft and more. Just blend in, if you stay in Waikiki, be aware there is an element of risk during the night. Lots of vagrant stuff going on, be careful, take nothing of value.

If you like shopping, totally absolutely do Luxury Row. Go up and see 88Tees, it's a rip and a half of coolness.

Do see: The Royal Hawaiian Hotel. Do have a snack at Dukes. People watching there is absolutely elite. You'll be amazed at who you spot (fame wise). Walk in the hotel and wander around, they don't care.

Skip the aquarium, and totally skip the Polynesia Cultural Center. Total tourist trap and loss of a day. Stop at Sharks Cove on the North Shore, absolutely purchase dive boots before you go, this is for real, it's not Disney and there are things in the water that want to hurt you.

I could go on and on, it's like my second home....

Waimea Valley is a holy place. Absolutely worth going, but take mosquito spray, we've run out of there before..in a panic running...you can swim in the waterfall there, it's really something else. Very historic, and like I said, it's a Holy place.

Up in Haliewa town, do NOT miss the Artis family. Unexplainable, but do not miss them, they are incredible amazing and can change your life. I met them about six years ago, Mr. Ron Artis has since passed away, but his family still performs there.

There's a small sugar mill there in Haliewa, that's awesome and very local too.

One*mom, do they still have that Sergios restaurant at the Hawaiian Village??? Oh that was my absolute favorite place to eat!!!!

And yes, stay away from the Polynesian Cultural Center, total tourist trap!

And we visited Kauai, and absolutely LOVED it.... but if I only had 6 days, I would just stay on Oahu, especially with jet lag...

Hike Diamond Head....

I remember visiting that Valley of the Temples/Byodo-In Temple once and it was gorgeous, very peaceful, especially if it has just rained!

I used to love going up H-2, from Kapolei or Waikiki towards Kaneohe.... you go through a tunnel, and when you come out the other side, it is the most AMAZING view!!

I took my dad to do those glider plane rides, up on the North Shore somewhere and he LOVED it... I thought he was crazy, and there was NO WAY I was going, LOL, but he had fun.... and when he came down he swore there was a plain crash on the beach below (down the street), so we went to check it out and it was just the set of "Lost" :)

It depends upon what you really want to do.

In a six day time period, there will be *plenty* of stuff to do on Oahu. However, there are no volcanoes on Oahu. The only active volcano is on the big island, but you need more than a day or two to make it worth it, IMO.

Hotel-wise: I would suggest staying in Waikiki *or* getting a B&B in Kailua. I would absolutely not recommend staying on the North Shore this time of year. Accommodations are very limited up there, they will be packed with young surfers and you can't really swim or anything up there this time of year. Also, if there is big surf traffic becomes a TOTAL NIGHTMARE. A third option is staying out at Ko'Olina, but that will mean a lot of driving.

Best beaches this time of year: Waimanalo, Kailua, Lanikai, Magic Island

Some of our favorite hikes: Diamond Head (this is the most challenging but the views are amazing), Makapu'u (this a short, paved hike, great if you have small kids with you), Manoa Falls (trail head is at the Lyon Arboretum, there is a waterfall at the end)

If you want to go out whale/dolphin watching, then I suggest the sail/snorkel catamarans that leave from Ko'Olina. You will see different fish out in the water than you see close to shore. I think these boats are calmer and more family friendly than the ones that leave from Waikiki. They will pick you up in Waikiki, if you're staying there. You don't want to go out on the huge dinner cruises. They are TOO BIG.

Snorkeling: In the winter your best bet (close to shore and without scuba certification) is Hanauma Bay. It's a wildlife preserve. You have to watch a film that explains the rules. You'll want to get there early one, the parking lot fills up and they won't let anyone else in and two so that you don't have to wait in a long line. They are closed on Tuesdays, so plan around that.

Note: Hana'uma Bay and the Makapu'u hike are near each other, we have done both of these in one day. Then, we go eat at Teddy's Bigger Burgers in Hawaii Kai.

Surfing: You can take surfing lessons on Waikiki Beach, it is lots of fun! Anyone who is military can do them out at White Plains Beach.

Kayaking: You can rent a kayak in Kailua and they will meet you down by a inlet that goes directly into the ocean. You can paddle out to the Mokes (the two islands you see from Lanikai/Kailua).

Want to learn more about Polynesia? We liked the Polynesian Cultural Center. It is very touristy, but their nighttime show is *fantastic*. We skip the luau, it is really spendy for what you get. http://www.polynesia.com/'>http://www.polynesia.com/

A hilariously cheesy and fun tour is Tropical Nuts Hawaii. They have macadamia nuts, starfruit, avocados, coffee, all kind of things growing there. It is near Kualoa. http://www.polynesia.com/

You definitely want to spend a day up at the North Shore. Take H-1 to H-2. H-2 will turn into 99. Stop at the Dole Plantation and see the pineapples. Only take the train if your kids are really into it. It's kind of lame. Continue on to Hale'iwa. See the Artis family, eat at any number of great places to eat, get shave ice, it is a fun town. From there, visit the North Shore beaches, check out the surfers and the waves. Watch the sun set from Sunset Beach, go have some chocolate haupia pie at Ted's. Do NOT try to go the the North Shore if there is a big contest (like the Eddie Aikau) you will only get stuck in massive, horrible traffic.

Pearl Harbor is a must for history buffs. We liked to do the Bowfin and Submarine Museum. The Missouri is where the Japanese officially surrendered, and the tour is interesting if you haven't been on a battleship before. You DO need to get there early because they run out of tickets nearly every day. You aren't allowed to take any kind of bags or purses, so leave those back at your hotel.

The best place for souvenirs is the Aloha Swap Meet. It takes places every Wednesday, Saturday and Sunday from 8-3 (they start packing up around 2) at the Aloha Stadium. Everything you could want-beach towels, windchimes, t-shirts, coconuts, jewelry, Hawaiian shirts and dresses, ukuleles, flowered suitcases if you buy too much, almost anything.

I like the Hula Grill restaurant over Duke's. You can usually make a reservation the day before to get an ocean view table.

If you have any specific questions, I am happy to help.

Edited by Mrs Mungo

Ya, it was there a month ago.

Our favorite restaurant is the Coffee Shop across the street from the Village. Excellent, home food atmosphere, very reasonably priced.

I can vouch for the Doubletree in Wakiki as being safe and clean; not as upscale as some of the stuff you can do at the Village, but hey...

If you are there in Waikiki on a Friday nite, wander into the Hilton Village for the fireworks they set off at night. I don't think they have the parade with the King anymore- they've set that stuff in the back, hidden, and you have to pay now to get into the Luau on site.

The Lagoon there is pretty cool to go swimming in.

I used to love going up H-2, from Kapolei or Waikiki towards Kaneohe.... you go through a tunnel, and when you come out the other side, it is the most AMAZING view!!

I love this view too. We usually did this with visitors their first day.

Oh, the Pali Lookout is a great quick stop too; it is beautiful!

We always walked past Keo's, but never went in....

Sergios was our favorite.... they served Crepes Suzette, tableside, en flambe. It was marvelous :)

That was the first place I ever had green beans with caramelized onions and I have been cooking them ever since.

Roy's is good. We're going to visit the Roy's @ Pebble Beach when we go to California in March.

Thank you thank you! I knew I could count on you guys for good advice! I'm printing off this thread to take with me.

I think the consensus is to stay on Oahu, so that's what we'll do. It's hard to accept that I can't see everything. But 5+ days on Oahu should give us a good beginning to exploring the state... we could always come back. :001_smile: