Menu

New here

Guest jrafferty

Guest jrafferty

I came across this book in a online search and I looked it up in iBooks and got the sample and was hooked. It sounded exactly right. I removed my children from public school in October 2011. My second grade child was being picked on by the teacher for fiddling with pencils and not doing the work correctly. When I would review his weekly work it was no surprise to me in a week they were reviewing conflicting types of math. And numerous other problems. No wonder he was acting up a little, he was lost and bored. My sixth grader would ask me for help on simple math problems. I realized he doesnt know how to multiply or divide. His sentences were I'd say second grade level. I felt so horrible for my children and I felt aweful because I never noticed this before. So really I haven't read the whole book yet, but does it cover on how to go back with older students? I was also raised around older people so it consisted of a lot of reading and memorizing. I did notice school doesn't do that anymore or teach cursive.

:seeya: Hi and welcome. The Well Trained Mind suggests starting older children where they are in each subject. In order to do that you would need to look at the curriculum suggestions and have your children take placement tests which most publishers have on their websites. Hopefully some veteran WTMers will come along with more detailed advice.;)

Welcome

I pulled my children out of school when my oldest was in grade 5. in some subjects we had to go right back to grade 2 level. IU always referred to the curriculum in levels instead of grades. he made rapid progress and completed high school, and then did university courses by the age of 17. So don't feel bad if you have to take them right back to the basics, it might take a couple of years for them to end up in their right year level.

I came across this book in a online search and I looked it up in iBooks and got the sample and was hooked. It sounded exactly right. I removed my children from public school in October 2011. My second grade child was being picked on by the teacher for fiddling with pencils and not doing the work correctly. When I would review his weekly work it was no surprise to me in a week they were reviewing conflicting types of math. And numerous other problems. No wonder he was acting up a little, he was lost and bored. My sixth grader would ask me for help on simple math problems. I realized he doesnt know how to multiply or divide. His sentences were I'd say second grade level. I felt so horrible for my children and I felt aweful because I never noticed this before. So really I haven't read the whole book yet, but does it cover on how to go back with older students? I was also raised around older people so it consisted of a lot of reading and memorizing. I did notice school doesn't do that anymore or teach cursive.

Welcome!