Menu

Pre-PSAT?

Someone's been telling me that the PSAT 10-graders are given is different from the PSAT 11th graders are given. In other words, there are two versions of the test--one for 10th graders and another for 11th graders.

I can't find any indication of this anywhere, including the College Board website. I don't think it's true, but maybe I'm wrong. Has anyone else heard this?

Nope, no truth to it. My daughter took it at age 12 and was given the exact test everyone else in the room was given. They didn't even know she wasn't in the eleventh grade, as she took it at our local high school. She checked "not yet in eighth grade" for her grade when she filled in her identifying information on the test itself.

Terri

There's more than one version of the test, so the kids taking it on Wed don't send the answers to the kids taking it on Sat, and the kids taking it on the East coast don't send them to the West Coast.

was given the exact test everyone else in the room was given.

I was under the impression that even within the same classroom, there were multiple versions to cut down on cheating. Or was that the SAT?

There definitely is not a different version by grade. I proctor the test most years... Kids sit alphabetically at our school - not by grades. All get the same test.

As stated before, the Wed and Sat tests differ and each has their own curve to get the scores in the correct percentages.

As others have said - there is no Pre-PSAT.

But I have recently come across the metioning of 7th and 8th graders (non-gifted students) taking the PSAT to "practice" for when it counts.

Honestly, most of what I've read this would have negative consequences and just cause testing burnout by the time these kids get to the actual PSAT.

P is for practice. Yes, I realize there is a possibility of that National Merit Scholarship. But I know in my house that was not on the radar, the "practicing" for the SAT was. As the PSAT states it will give you a feel for the range your student will probably score on the SAT. Sure enough it did - but of course, ranges normally do that!!

Ok, that just makes me want to gag! When are we as a country stop allowing bubble tests define a student and his/her ability? They reflect only a single dimension of education. And now there will be even more emphasis on teaching to the test.

:iagree:

The following quote is from Wikipedia. Perhaps the "nonprofit" College Board needs to create a new test in order to generate more revenue to pay the staff:

Consumer rights organization Americans for Educational Testing Reform (AETR) has criticized College Board for violating its non-profit status through excessive profits and exorbitant executive compensation; twelve of its executives make more than $300,000 per year,[7] with CEO Gaston Caperton earning over $800,000.[8] AETR also claims that College Board is acting unethically by selling test preparation materials, directly lobbying legislators and government officials, and refusing to acknowledge test-taker rights.