Menu

CLE Math cracks me up!

Sometimes Christian Light Math has the strangest story problems. I love the math, I really really do! But we just have to laugh and ask "What were they thinking?" when we read things like this...

Andy had an African giant black millipede for a pet. It was one of the world's largest at 28 centimeters long. One day Andy's little brother slammed the lid of the terrarium on the giant millipede, cutting off 9 centimeters of him. How long was Andy's pet then?

28-9=19

:lol:

Andy had an African giant black millipede for a pet. It was one of the world's largest at 28 centimeters long. One day Andy's little brother slammed the lid of the terrarium on the giant millipede, cutting off 9 centimeters of him. How long was Andy's pet then?

28-9=19

:lol:

:lol: That is hilarious! That has inspired me to make up some funny word problems for my kids. Love it!

Kelly

That's funny.

My first grader is using their phonics program and a few weeks ago he had a comprehension questions that was something like . . . The kids had a . . . . and there were three choices (a) a pack of seeds

(b) a pack of weed © dog

The correct answer was "a pack of seeds" but my little guy picked "a pack of weed" which made my teenagers roll on the floor laughing about these little Mennonite children with their pack of weed.

Guest submarines

Thoughtless, unnecessary and cruel. My children wouln't be amused. Also, at a cursory reading, the words African and Black jumped quite strongly at me. Say what you want, but it whiffs of racism. :ack2: On every level.

Thoughtless, unnecessary and cruel. My children wouln't be amused. Also, at a cursory reading, the words African and Black jumped quite strongly at me. Say what you want, but it whiffs of racism. :ack2: On every level.

I wasn't a fan of the problem at all, but I objected to the animal cruelty. What you are suggesting here is, in my humble opinion, ridiculous.

African black millipedes are a real creature. Here's a fact sheet for pet African black millipedes.

Interesting how you took that. That didn't jump out at me at all. I just thought it seemed like a weird idea for a story problem. I have to wonder if anyone at CLP thought, hey this is kind of a weird story problem. Could we change it?

Wow, what should we call a black millipede from Africa? Or should we not reference any black animals that live in Africa? Really?