Menu

Vacation in Colorado?

We would love to go in the summertime, stay in a cabin, and have to pay and arm and a leg... ;) Any suggestions of where to start looking? If it helps, I went to CO when I was 15 with my mom and dad. My family hasn't been. My guys will be early teens when/if we go.

Oh, and we don't mind a small town. We aren't much on crowds.

Suggestions?

Grand Lake is beautiful and it backs up to the Rocky Mountain National Park which is absolutely amazing. There are cabins, boat rentals, ATV rentals - all kinds of good stuff.

Estes Park also backs up to the Ntl Park but it is a little more touristy than Grand Lake and it doesn't have a beautiful mountain lake.

Estes Park (YMCA has a nice camp where families can rent cabins), Steamboat Springs, Granby (on the back side of Rocky Mountain National Park), Winter Park ... we usually stay in Frisco, near Breckinridge, because dh's parents have 1/3 share in a condo there so it's free, but it's a little drive to any attractions.

Estes Park (YMCA has a nice camp where families can rent cabins), Steamboat Springs, Granby (on the back side of Rocky Mountain National Park), Winter Park ... we usually stay in Frisco, near Breckinridge, because dh's parents have 1/3 share in a condo there so it's free, but it's a little drive to any attractions.

Estes Park would be my first choice...stop in at Brownfield's Trading Post on the main street. It is owned by my husband's family :001_smile:

We've enjoyed Steamboat Springs, as well. Either place has plenty of cabin rentals and lots of fun things to do.

Estes Park and Grand Lake are very pretty but also touristy and overpriced IMHO; in both places the rentals usually have minimum stay requirements, and RMNP gets rather crowded in the summer with vacationers, hikers, and day-trippers.

When we went on our round-the-state vacation, my kids' favorite place of all was Great Sand Dunes National Park, and that area of Colorado is quieter. My parents have rented a cabin for our extended family this summer in the Monarch/Garfield/Salida area, and I really like that part of the state too.

ETA: I used to live within an hour's drive of Estes/RMNP and like the area (it's fun to stroll and people watch in Estes) and think it's certainly worth seeing, but I wouldn't recommend it as your home base if you want to avoid crowds.

Edited by WordGirl

It's hard to choose, because I have loved every place I have stayed in CO. :D

Estes Park is amazing. We went in the fall, and the colors were out of this world. I'm sure the summer is beautiful also.

White Chalk Canyon in southern CO has stunning rock formations and is more of a well kept secret.

Creed is very rustic and has a fun mining museum.

Glenwood Canyon had a lot of family friendly activities, and we loved the hot springs.

I can't wait to plan for my next trip. :001_smile:

We enjoy Estes Park too, but I'll throw a different option out there for you.... :)

Woodland Park: http://www.city-woodlandpark.org/home/historic-resort-town/

It's a small resort town a quick 20 min. drive west of Colorado Springs. Not quite as touristy as Estes Park, but just as scenic. I would imagine that lodging in Woodland Park is less expensive than Estes Park (but I've never stayed overnight in Woodland Park, since we only live 40 min. away).

If you want to do some sight-seeing, it's located near several great attractions:

• several state parks with beautiful hiking trails - I highly recommend Cheyenne Canyon, Rampart Range Reservoir, and Mueller State Park & Wildlife Area
  • Victor and Cripple Creek - historic gold mining towns (you can tour old gold mines and the towns are very well preserved)
  • Florissant Fossil Beds National Monument
  • Cave of the Winds - amazing underground caves
  • Pikes Peak - "America's Mountain" - take the cog railway to the top (yes, this is touristy, and a bit pricey, but it's worth doing at least once)
  • Manitou Springs - artsy, eclectic little mountain town (touristy, but lots of fun and has one of the oldest, largest old-fashioned penny arcades in the U.S. that's always a hit with teens)
  • Lots to see and do in Colorado Springs as well (Olympic training center, Garden of the Gods, Air Force Academy, etc.)

Have fun planning your trip!

Edited by Dandelion

Check out VRBO (vacation rentals by owner) for the area you want to visit. We have always had excellent luck with it. There are so many places in CO that are fun and wonderful (Durango, Silverton, Ouray, Estes Park, Glenwood Springs - to name just a few).

We usually have 2 or 3 places we like and then find the best deal at any of those and that's where we go. We're rather unconventional in our vacation practices ;)