Menu

Tell me how to cook my beans quickly.

I normally cook beans in the crockpot without soaking them. I forgot to put them on last night.:tongue_smilie:

I have rinsed the pinto beans and have them just starting to boil. Now what?

Now, turn them off. Let them sit for about an hour covered. Then drain and rinse them well. Then cook in a fresh pot of water at a simmer (once up to temp).

Bill

Edited by Spy Car

I had planned on cooking them on the stove.

Pressure cooker.

If I didn't have one and I was desperate, I'd try baking at a high temp in a heavy pan with a tight lid. You get heat from all directions and it may cook more evenly. Not sure this would help, but that's what I'd try.

I had planned on cooking them on the stove.

Pinto beans tend to cook relatively quickly. If these are intended for dinner you have plenty of time using the method above.

Pressure cookers, while they are fast, are a very tricky way to cook beans. It is very easy to turn beans mushy (in fact it it difficult not to do so unless you way undercook, which defeats the purpose of speed). Pressure cookers also tend to vent bean-juice out of the steam vents which makes a mess, and is a safety risk as it can clog the vents.

Stove top is better if you have the time.

Bill

Now, turn them off. Let them sit for about an hour covered. Then drain and rinse them well. Then cook in a fresh pot of water at a simmer (one up to temp).

Bill

I agree with the change of water when it gets gooey, but I'm not sure how dropping the temp will make this go faster. You may get a better quality texture, but ....

There is also the idea of salt. Much ballyhoo over beans never softening if boiled in salt water took place in my old cooking USENET groups, but several of us did side by sides and found no difference*. Salt raises the boiling point. You could get your water a tad hotter that way. Not sure if it would make an actual difference, though.

*the difference was age of bean. Old beans had tough skin that never softened.

Thanks! The beans are soaking. I hope there was enough water in the pot. If I want to add meat to the beans, when should I do so? The pork is frozen if that makes a difference.

Pinto beans tend to cook relatively quickly. If these are intended for dinner you have plenty of time using the method above.

Pressure cookers, while they are fast, are a very tricky way to cook beans. It is very easy to turn beans mushy (in fact it it difficult not to do so unless you way undercook, which defeats the purpose of speed). Pressure cookers also tend to vent bean-juice out of the steam vents which makes a mess, and is a safety risk as it can clog the vents.

Stove top is better if you have the time.

Bill

Really, that's it? I plan on the beans simmering all day.

I don't think you will find that necessary. One can't give absolute times with beans since a lot of factors including age of the beans and hardness of water affect cooking times. But if you let then soak for an hour covered, I would doubt the beans will take more than two additional hours to cook at a simmer.

It could be plus or minus, but the "quick soak" method works pretty well.

Bill

Mr. Bill is right.

In that initial boil, most of the gas-producing substances are extracted into the water, along with any dirt remaining after you pre-rinsed the beans. (You did pre-rinse them, didn't you? If not, all the more reason to dump out that boil water.) So dumping that first water AND rinsing again AND using fresh water for the subsequent simmer reduces gas, improves overall cleanliness/sanitation, and improves the flavor.

If you then bake them for the rest of the day, they will be beautifully soft by evening and not lose their shape. Plus the house will be warmer. :001_smile:

Thanks! The beans are soaking. I hope there was enough water in the pot. If I want to add meat to the beans, when should I do so? The pork is frozen if that makes a difference.

If it is a pork cut that benefits from a long cook I would work on getting it defrosted and then brown it (along with garlic and onions?) it in a heavy pot while the beans soak. Then add beans and meat together, bring up to boil, then turn down and let simmer until done.

Bill

Yes, I looked the beans over and rinsed them.

Can I put frozen pork in with the beans when I start to cook them?

Mr. Bill is right.

In that initial boil, most of the gas-producing substances are extracted into the water, along with any dirt remaining after you pre-rinsed the beans. (You did pre-rinse them, didn't you? If not, all the more reason to dump out that boil water.) So dumping that first water AND rinsing again AND using fresh water for the subsequent simmer reduces gas, improves overall cleanliness/sanitation, and improves the flavor.

If you then bake them for the rest of the day, they will be beautifully soft by evening and not lose their shape. Plus the house will be warmer. :001_smile:

Now, turn them off. Let them sit for about an hour covered. Then drain and rinse them well. Then cook in a fresh pot of water at a simmer (one up to temp).

Bill

What he said. I don't own a pressure cooker so I don't know how much faster that method is, but when I'm pinched for time, Bill's method works great! :)

Sounds reasonable! I will do it now. Thanks again.

If it is a pork cut that benefits from a long cook I would work on getting it defrosted and then brown it (along with garlic and onions?) it in a heavy pot while the beans soak. Then add beans and meat together, bring up to boil, then turn down and let simmer until done.

Bill

I put mine in a separate pot from the beans so I can cook it at a higher temperature and then combine them after they're both done. But that's just me. :D hehe

I agree with the change of water when it gets gooey, but I'm not sure how dropping the temp will make this go faster. You may get a better quality texture, but ....

Dropping the temp will not make it go faster, you are correct. Boiling the beans would be faster, but the texture would be terrible. Pinto beans do not generally take all that long to cook, and there is plenty of time in this case.

Bill

It would be better if you just thaw it first. It's a big old ice cube in the pot which will just make it take that much longer for everything to reach a simmering temperature. If you don't have a microwave to thaw it, try placing it in a sealable bag and submerging in hot water. Then I'd cut it into smaller pieces if appropriate. If it's a smoked hock or something like that, you really need to thaw first or it will not cook properly by the time the beans are done.

Well, I'm just gonna put myself out there and say it. I grew up eating Pintos 5 to 6 nights a week, and my mom never soaked them. I don't soak them when I cook them either. I just boil them for about 3 hours and they're done.

I do agree that the ham should be thawed before putting it with the beans.:D