Menu

The Reality of Combining

Chelli

First off, I'm a happy HOD user, but all of these snuggle up on the couch and read threads have me thinking.

I always invisioned our homeschool with lots of learning together, especially with science and history. All of my children will be three grades apart.

• Is combining even feasible with a wide grade/age spread?
  • And how does combining look in your homeschool?
  • Do you read a spine book to all of your kids about the science/history topic, then have individual assignments, and meet back once or twice a week for a project/experiment?
  • Do you have a problem with one child dominating the learning/discussion?
  • If you went from combining to uncombining or from uncombining to combining, please tell me your tale.

I feel like I would wind up teaching three separate history and science classes anyway because my children are so far apart in their grades/skills.

TIA

:bigear:

I'm an HOD user too and while I'm okay now doing separate guides, I do worry about when my DC are older what that will entail and if I can handle it. Every time I look at a curriculum that combines everyone though, I feel like I'd either be holding someone back or dragging someone else along for the sake of keeping up with the others.

I am currently using Sonlight Core D+E with my 3rd and 5th grader. They are together for all the history, geography, read-alouds, and Bible. I teach them separately for all other subjects, including independent reading. This allows for group discussions as well as individual, leveled work time. In order to keep one child from dominating our group discussions, I give each of them questions & have them take turns answering. I also expect more from the older child when I assign history reports or projects, but my younger one sees what my older one is doing & often challenges himself.:)

First, I am not a HOD user, but I am a "combiner." We do WTM history (SOTW4 this year) and science, finishing up chemistry, moving into physics this year.

• Is combining even feasible with a wide grade/age spread? Not sure, mine are only 2 yrs and maybe 3-4 grade levels apart in most things, so not a huge age difference, but a big learning gap. (not huge though like middle school--K)
  • And how does combining look in your homeschool? See below
  • Do you read a spine book to all of your kids about the science/history topic, then have individual assignments, and meet back once or twice a week for a project/experiment? Yes that is exactly what we do. We read SOTW4. We discuss with A.G. questions. We do map work together, but I will focus on different things with each of them. I might ask older to label more things and to look up more on her own. DD7 is still learning to spell and write and the differences between continents and countries, etc. So we use the maps for different purposes, but she is there to pick up all that she gleans from the older's work. Then dd9 does the outline and the timeline. At another time in the week dd7 and I will work on a narration together. DD9 will read extra books on the topics during the week. I will read aloud from one or two simpler books to both during the week. The same goes for science. We do our experiment and discussion together. DD9 does a lab sheet, extra reading in the encyclopedia, and extra reading or computer research. DD7 will draw a pic and write a sentence or two on the topic. On topics that allow it, I find good picture books at her level. I occasionally do projects with her on nature studies, life science type stuff that older sis got when she was younger when possible (scout badges, science fair topics, etc.) For literature, I read to both from books above their reading levels, or at least above the youngest's. We do Bible together, art together, music time together, but they are at different spots in their workbooks and understanding and abilities in music. They only do skills like math and writing and spelling separately.
  • Do you have a problem with one child dominating the learning/discussion? No. There are topics that appeal to each and it goes back and forth between who will be the most interested and vocal on a topic.
  • If you went from combining to uncombining or from uncombining to combining, please tell me your tale. Nope, so far this is working for us. Will probably change for high school credits only.

I feel like I would wind up teaching three separate history and science classes anyway because my children are so far apart in their grades/skills.

TIA

First off, I'm a happy HOD user, but all of these snuggle up on the couch and read threads have me thinking.

I always invisioned our homeschool with lots of learning together, especially with science and history. All of my children will be three grades apart.

• Is combining even feasible with a wide grade/age spread?Yes.. we combine except 1st and K do thier own thing.

• And how does combining look in your homeschool?We use MFW, I read to everyone the same. Actually we pass around the book and everyone takes a turn. I stop and point out things to my 2nd grader. Like today we read about Joseph working for Pharoh. In our selection from Victors Journey Thru the Bible it talked about farming in Egypt. I stopped and pointed out how farmers plant seeds then and how its different now. When we do a notebook page I might write out 2nd graders narration, write my 3rd graders for him to copy on his notebook page, and let my 5th grader do her own. I also add in Story of the World V1 for my 2nd grader and 3rd grader while my 5th grader benefits from Streams of Civilization. They all listen to both readings. You just need to change what you expect and how you teach a little, shoot high and low. As Mom and Teacher you know if your kiddos are getting it, and go with it.

• Do you read a spine book to all of your kids about the science/history topic, then have individual assignments, and meet back once or twice a week for a project/experiment? Nope, all readings are together, all assignments are together. I just expect different things from each kiddo.

• Do you have a problem with one child dominating the learning/discussion?Yes but I tempure her by reminding her its someone elses chance to talk and I challenge her by requiring more in depth writing on the material. Or I ask her pointed questions that are deeper than my 3rd and 2nd boys.

• If you went from combining to uncombining or from uncombining to combining, please tell me your tale.I've considered not combining. But part of the reason we homeschool is for family relationship. Combining brings lots of conversation and relationship building. To seperate would be to loose that part of "us".

TIA

One thing I like about My Fathers World is they are seperated when they are younger: K and 1st. Then from 2nd-8th they are all together. So for your kiddos fromt he ages in your siggie.. You'd have two years where your running 2 programs, then your middle would join the older.. then 4 years later you'd have all 3 kiddo's together for 2 years, then your oldest would be independent doing highschool, but you'd still have 2 in the same group!

Edited by MamaMamaMama!!

I'm moving towards keeping everyone in the same general time period / science strand. So we are doing world history to about 1500 for the rest of the year. My 9 yo is in Our Island Story, my 7yo using CHOW. But when I go to the library, I can go to the Roman myths and history section for both of them right now. Next years science will be the same way - one strand per quarter.

So we are basically uncombined now. And that seems to be easier, because the child I'm not with can help by playing with the 2yo, or do piano, or chores, etc. I am reading Robinhood aloud to them, and we still do Bible together. I'm trying to find the balance.

It's really more about their ability level and personality than just how far apart they are. My girls are two years apart, but my middle dd is crazy smart. They have been combined all along. It works because my oldest is very confident with her abilities and has no issues with her sister doing the same thing. The little guy is four grades below. He does the same topic, but they don't work together at all (other than the girls helping him with things.)

I like to keep us all in the same topic in history and science, because it makes outside experiences and educational movies and such easier. I would never, ever have dc in different topics when they are in the elementary years; that's just too much effort for me. :D

I would have a problem with one child dominating. That's just poor manners, imho. I've taught my dc to read the room and figure out how much to answer/talk. So if some are younger or slower, they hang back and let them answer first, just jumping in when there is a need. I started teaching it in the home with each other. Everyone knows those homeschool kiddos who dominate all conversations; my child will not be one of them! :D

I put I don't have a problem w/one dominating a conversation. Just wanted to clarify. I don't mean I don't mind if she is being rude and interrupting. I just mean that some topics may be over the youngers head slightly, and the older and I will be doing most of the conversation. In that case I make a point of what I want the younger to learn from the subject and help her to do her copywork or narration on that part that is most important for her to get. I don't worry if she doesn't understand the intracacies of say the 30 years' war. I just made sure that she understood the definition of the word, monarchy, or something similar that week.. But I don't put up with rudeness :)

• Is combining even feasible with a wide grade/age spread?

No, I don't believe it is. My 2 boys are 4 years apart. The books I want my 6th grader to read are way over my 7yo head. I also don't want to dumb down the books to meet in the middle.

We tried and it was a fight. The boys are too competitive.

• Do you read a spine book to all of your kids about the science/history topic, then have individual assignments, and meet back once or twice a week for a project/experiment?

This, exactly! My older child refused to let his brother talk.

• If you went from combining to uncombining or from uncombining to combining, please tell me your tale.

It is much nicer uncombined. It doesn't take any longer to do school. The oldest one is more independent with the age being so spaced out.

• Is combining even feasible with a wide grade/age spread? Yes, but it can be more work. It depends upon what you use.

• And how does combining look in your homeschool? Right now I'm using TOG for history and CKE as my base for science. I REALLY have to add to bring CKE even close to 8th and 9th grade level. Next year I'll divide the children. My 2 older boys will work together through a highschool science while my middle 2 will work together through CKE. We're still shaking out the kinks of combining, but generally I bring the children together to introduce the history topic, then again at the end of the week for a big discussion. In science I give the children the lesson and an experiment, then an outside assignment for the older boys.

• Do you read a spine book to all of your kids about the science/history topic, then have individual assignments, and meet back once or twice a week for a project/experiment? Basically, yes.

• Do you have a problem with one child dominating the learning/discussion? lol Sometimes. Usually it's my oldest or dd, but sometimes the older children are quiet while their little brother is piping up with all the answers.

• If you went from combining to uncombining or from uncombining to combining, please tell me your tale. I combined the children for a year and a half and enjoyed it. The biggest issue I had was myself. It's an effort to gather the children and teach. When I became pregnant with #5, I just couldn't muster the effort and separated the children. Then last summer I realized I wanted to combine 3 of the children. One was at the fall of Rome, one was in the crusades, and the third was just reaching the American colonies. A friend offered to loan me TOG classic year 2, and I decided to throw the 4th into the mix. It's gone very well this time around.

Each child is at their own level of TOG, so I pick and choose what I have each of them do, but I enjoy being able to keep to one topic. At the library I can grab books on Rembrant and then decide who should read what. Or I grab books on volcanoes, again it might be too simple for my oldest but perfect for my 3rd grader. I don't have to move from volcanoes to oxygen to buffalo to Newton's laws of motion. :D

:001_smile:

Not a HOD user, but plan to next year. My boys are 2nd and 5th grade. I have tried combining, but it just doesn't work for my boys. We do read alouds, art, music, and PE (and sometimes bible) together and those work out fine. This year we combined for science for the first time. It is just ok. The program we are using should cover both their ages, but in reality it is sometimes over the younger one's head. The bad thing is once we get to that point, I lose him for the lesson. I don't think we will combine for science again. I don't plan to combine on history, but doing the same time era would be helpful for my sanity.

Combining sound wonderful, but I feel like someone is always missing out and not getting what they need. Either it is too hard or too easy and that causes them to lose interest in the lesson. I know other families who don't have this problem, so it may just be us. :lol: We have been doing Sentence Family together and that has gone well. Combining or not combining, both are great and just figured out what works for your family and go for it. It may work some years and not others too.

I have 1st, 3rd and 5th grade boys. I pulled the 5th grader out this year thinking he needed to learn to work more independently. I changed my mind after the holidays. I didn't feel I was keeping an eye on his work enough with him independent and he has quality issues - teaching quality became more important and I can't do that if I'm not on top of what he's doing so I pulled him back in for science and history. History is not our most important subject but here's what we do with SOTW: Monday and Tuesday we listen to a chapter section on CD and answer the questions. I direct the question at the youngest child I expect will have an answer, moving up as necessary. The 5th grader does more of the narration or I split it between him and the 3rd grader. I am now taking their narration on the board so we can discuss its quality and read it over when completed. Wednesdays we do map work. Thursday and Friday maybe some independent reading based on their abilities or we do geography instead.

I don't think the 5th grader is missing out. He's doing a little less extra reading but he is learning to produce a better narration under my guidance. The 1st grader is just along for the ride. He listens while coloring and sometimes knows more than the older 2 but other times clearly isn't following along. That's OK - he has way too much other work for me to worry about whether he's getting a good overview of history...his job right now is to learn to read, write and do math.

Similarly with science, each child absorbs the information at a different level. We have been doing density and floating experiments. If the 1st grader merely learns to use the graduated cylinder and scale, that's great. The 5th grader is expected to understand how to use water displacement to take volume or mass measurements. I rotate their jobs on different days so they each get to take on different roles (data recorder, weigher, etc...) The 3rd grader falls in between but he's a good student and always got paired with the 5th grader before this year anyhow.

I'm happier as a teacher since recombining. It keeps us more connected.

Brownie

The girls do their own LA and math and do history/art/science/Bible together. They also do the same Sonlight readers and read from the same selection of book basket books.

Everything is done together. They do the assignments to their ability.

Actually, no. Rebecca can be dominating at times, but the girls do really well learning together.

I went from uncombining to combining and I love it. The girls were separate last year for their K and 2nd grade years. Before that, Sylvia was loosely preschooled. ;) I ran two SL cores last year and it was doable only because P 4/5 was so light. I didn't relish the idea of running two full cores. I discovered MFW and the idea of combining the girls really appealed to me. This way I can have them together until Rebecca hits high school. I love that they learn together.

That said, I know I have it pretty easy because they're only two years apart.