Menu

Pros and Cons of dental sealants?

Ds has terrible teeth for a bunch of reasons. When the dentist knocked him out to pull teeth, crown teeth, and use sealants, I didn't think twice.

Dd, OTOH, has perfect teeth. She's never had a cavity, frequently snacks on ice (as opposed to sugary treats). The dentist recommended putting sealants on her adult molars. I wanted to look into it before making that appt and thought this was a good starting point.

What say the hive?

We only do BPA free sealents. My DS has them as he has poor teeth. If I were to do them, just ask for them to use the BPA free ones. It has to be order as most dentists don't have it in their office. DS had not had any issues with them and has (knock on wood) been cavity free since they got put on.

Does your DD have deep groves in her teeth? If so, then I would go for it.

We get the sealant put on as 2 of my 3 kids seem prone to cavities--one in particular seems to have very soft teeth. Since I now have crowns due to large fillings in my youth, it seems reasonable to try to avoid that fate for them. They prevent cavities from the top surface but not from the sides (dd just had a filling put in on the back side of the last molar currently in her mouth), and they can't put the sealant on until the tooth is fully in (same dd, the one very prone to cavities, got a cavity in one molar that wasn't in far enough to seal the appointment 6-months before).

The dentist recommended putting sealants on her adult molars. I wanted to look into it before making that appt and thought this was a good starting point.

I'm having a hard time understanding why the hesitation. is money an issue? It not, I'd go ahead and do it. I didn't have any cavities for years - until I did.

I've had so much decay and dental work done on MY teeth that I was asking about sealants when I took my oldest DD to the dentist for the first time at age 3. He gently explained that they generally only used it on adult teeth and only on the biting surfaces of the molars. If they had offered a 100% coating around each tooth, I probably would have jumped at that too. :tongue_smilie:

Needless to say, we have been having sealant placed on both DDs as they have their molars come in. Dental care all around just seems so much better now as neither of them have had any decay at all and I can't give the sealants all the credit.

Apparently, however, the sealant tastes very bad so if your child is sensitive to tastes, you might warn them. :D

Pegasus

I've had so much decay and dental work done on MY teeth that I was asking about sealants when I took my oldest DD to the dentist for the first time at age 3. He gently explained that they generally only used it on adult teeth and only on the biting surfaces of the molars. If they had offered a 100% coating around each tooth, I probably would have jumped at that too. :tongue_smilie:

Needless to say, we have been having sealant placed on both DDs as they have their molars come in. Dental care all around just seems so much better now as neither of them have had any decay at all and I can't give the sealants all the credit.

Apparently, however, the sealant tastes very bad so if your child is sensitive to tastes, you might warn them. :D

Pegasus

Hmmm, my dentist will seal baby teeth if they look like they need it.

Sealants are pretty awesome. I had them as a kid and ended up with no cavities until I was 25, despite some questionable dental hygiene in my teen years.

My kids do have them. Our dentist will put sealants on baby teeth, but our insurance will not pay for it.

Sealants are pretty awesome. I had them as a kid and ended up with no cavities until I was 25, despite some questionable dental hygiene in my teen years.

My kids do have them. Our dentist will put sealants on baby teeth, but our insurance will not pay for it.

:iagree: I had almost exactly the same experience. Now that they've worn off, though, I've started getting small cavities on my molars. Everyone in my family has really deep pits in our molars, and it's super hard to keep from getting cavities. Next time I'm at the dentist, I'm going to ask if I can get sealants put on.

I'm having a hard time understanding why the hesitation. is money an issue? It not, I'd go ahead and do it. I didn't have any cavities for years - until I did.

It's not a money issue (but it is). We're all on medicaid, and I want to make sure it's not an unnecessary expense.

I'm 28 and really didn't do anything to care for my teeth for most of my life. I have no cavities, fillings, sealants, crowns, etc. Dd seems to be the same. She's only ever had 1 teeny cavity that was on the back of a tooth (where sealant wouldn't do anything) and we saw it when the tooth came out.

I also don't like this dentist but it's our only option. When I was told about the sealants, they just said it was something they did to adult molars. There was no specific reason for my dd. Like I said, if it was ds, I'd do it with no questions. He had to have hospital based dental surgery because of all the damage.