Menu

Your thoughts please---Do you think tablets, ipods, iPads, etc....

In our experience, no. They seem to have carved out times for all of the activities they enjoy.

Our children use their iPod Touches as jumping points for creativity and imaginative play. My son gets Lego building ideas from Youtube and modifies them to his liking and my daughter looks up craft tutorials for dollhouse furniture. They will still drop everything if you ask to play a board game and each spend about an hour a night reading in bed.

I have no problem with tablets and tablet-like devices in moderation.

Yes, I think they are an exceptionally bad idea, especially for younger kids. But I didn't even let mine watch TV except on very rare occasions.

They spent hours every day playing imaginative games with anything they could find and are excellent students now. I think these things are related.

We just got high speed internet a couple of weeks ago. I liked that they had to learn to entertain themsevles without screens (and so did I), but now in later years, there are some online assignments that need to be done, so I did it.

Honestly I think it is going to depend on the child. And like most anything else once the newness wears off it won't be so fascinating any more.

I don't limit screen time. Dd has been able to self limit very well. Dh on the other hand has never been able to self limit. When he is home the TV is on and his laptop is open. He says it is for the noise.

I feel that with limited, monitored usage they can be just fine.

In the special needs world, things like Ipads are opening up a whole new world for those with mental impairments, speech impairments, autism, etc. It is amazing what my 16dd with an IQ of 38 can do with some of these things.

On the flip side, my girls are highly creative and can create an entire play scenario in the car just by talking--they use different voices for different characters and "move" them around with their words, etc. Very interesting and they have been doing this since very young.

I think like anything, it needs to be an addition and not a substitution. My child has a tablet, but it can be used for a specific amount of time. It isn't the only thing she has to entertain her & I make sure of that by limiting her time on it. I do the same thing with myself and the computer. In fact I just fasted from media for several months & haven't been online for a while.

Susan

We have 3 computers, an ipod touch, dh has an ipad the kids use and the 2 oldest boys have cell phones. My oldest just got Facebook. (I have to update my sig- kids are a couple years older now).

We used to have 2 Nintendo DS but those broke and we didn't replace. We have a Playstation and a Wii.

I wish I could say that these things do not cut into reading/imaginative play but for my guys they do. We had none of these things when they were younger and they read so much more. That said, my oldest was never inclined toward any imaginative play and he was the most limited.

They are part of our life, the lives of their peers, and there are some good things about them. We monitor. We limit. I wish I could say that they had no negative impact on their reading/ academic pursuits but that just wouldn't be true.

They don't spend excessive amounts of times with these things. They just don't have the free time especially during the week. I have thought to myself "you guys used to read so much more". That could just be less spare time in general that they have. They have more school work/sports/ extracurricular activities.

In our experience, no. They seem to have carved out times for all of the activities they enjoy.

Our children use their iPod Touches as jumping points for creativity and imaginative play. My son gets Lego building ideas from Youtube and modifies them to his liking and my daughter looks up craft tutorials for dollhouse furniture. They will still drop everything if you ask to play a board game and each spend about an hour a night reading in bed.

I have no problem with tablets and tablet-like devices in moderation.

:iagree: