Menu

Big milestone... (cc)

We decided to get dd5 her very own "real" Bible, as opposed to a Bible Story book. This is because her reading has improved a lot, and she is doing very well with her memory verses in AWANA.

We decided on the ESV GROW! Bible, which is intended for ages 8-12. She got very excited when she saw it at our house, and asked if it was a Bible for her.

Here she is reading it:

I am sure she doesn't understand most of it, but we think it is good that she "hides the Word" in her heart, even if she doesn't fully understand it at this point.

We have a tradition of giving our children a thin-line, leather-bound Bible with their initials embossed on the cover for the Christmas when each is 10 years old. They really look forward to that Christmas and anticipate receiving the Bible all year.

I hope your dd finds great joy, peace, and truth in those pages all of her life.

We never did kindergarten graduations, but we did do a "reading graduation" for each of our kids. As soon as they achieved a certain level of proficiency in reading, we went out for a celebratory dinner. After dinner we'd present the new reader with their first Bible. My kids each remember their turn with joy, and it's a precedent I'm so glad we set with the very first kid. :001_smile:

We loved AWANA--and you are so right, now is the stage to help your dd memorize as much as possible! Come 3rd grade and T&T, she will be much more ready to discuss and explore those verses. She'll be ready to dig deeper, because they will already be old friends! We started reading a chapter aloud each night when our youngest was in K, and while it was slooooow going in the NKJ, her reading improved at an astounding pace because of the challenge. Congrats!