Menu

How do you self-educate in math? (x-posted in SE)

I went to a rigorous high school and university and am naturally drawn towards lit and history, so I'm familiar with many of the first steps in self-education, literature- and history-wise.*

Math, not so much. :tongue_smilie:I met (and ONLY met, did not exceed) the college prep/college graduation requirements with decent grades and I don't have a math aversion per se, but I certainly don't seek out to practice math or -GOD FORBID- learn any NEW math. :lol: I really want to change this. :) Partly for my kids' sake, but mainly for mine.

So, where do I start? I'm thinking Liping Ma, for one, but I *don't* want to read just "theory" books- I want to *DO* math and work those long-ago atrophied math muscles ;).

Anyone have suggestions for me?

*(Which is not to say that I'm ACCOMPLISHED in either, or that I don't have a ton to learn in these areas. I just feel like I have a fairly good base, whereas my math side is much, much, much weaker.)

Well if your bent is toward Lit and History, I see no reason why you wouldn't LOVE "Life of Fred" math. Even if you think you know decimals and fractions, they are a fun, entertaining and informative read. (I guarantee you will learn things you didn't know in multiple disciplines if you read a Fred book)

At least try one out. He teaches from fractions/decimals through high school math and into college level. There's stuff I forgot, plus stuff I never knew, even at the lower levels!

One of my kids (my 9 yro) does not use curriculum for math. This means that I really need to know what I'm doing (and I probably don't). :glare:

Does your library have a math section? I spent several hours online, looking at math websites, scopes and sequences, booklists, etc. I ended up making a long list of topics that they need to know before Algebra. I'm basically reading books about each topic and going over them with my son.

Also, Kitchen Table Math is awesome.

This works great for before-higher-math-topics. After that, you might need to use Khan Academy or a textbook (or what about Life of Fred) to brush up on skills.

You could start with something like Kahn Academy videos or Thinkwell Cds...

Frankly, I think teaching kids math helps bring it all back! I admire your determination!

Khan Academy! DUH! Thank you all for this suggestion. DS uses it for drill- it'd be cool to be using the same math program. About teaching- What's funny is that TEACHING math is bringing up all sorts of anxiety in me that I did not have when I was in school! What's up with that?!?! :tongue_smilie:So, I kinda want to 'shore up' my math skills in the hopes that it will make me a better teacher (and a more well-rounded person).

I've been learning along with my kids. I sit down and do the work too. So far I have been able to keep up. Of course there is a lot more to go so I'll get back to you on that. :D

My kid right now is at a 2nd-4th grade level in math, not too much here for me to learn. (Except for bar diagrams! Those are killer! :lol:) He and I both struggle with anxiety (him b/c of remediation and me b/c teaching math is a bit scary to me) and I need to reduce or eliminate that if possible. So I REALLY want to be AHEAD of him :lol:!

Well if your bent is toward Lit and History, I see no reason why you wouldn't LOVE "Life of Fred" math. Even if you think you know decimals and fractions, they are a fun, entertaining and informative read. (I guarantee you will learn things you didn't know in multiple disciplines if you read a Fred book)

At least try one out. He teaches from fractions/decimals through high school math and into college level. There's stuff I forgot, plus stuff I never knew, even at the lower levels!

OOH, good idea! DS is not ready for LOF, but maybe I can get it now anyway and use it for ME and then when he gets to it I'll know all the answers. :lol:

One of my kids (my 9 yro) does not use curriculum for math. This means that I really need to know what I'm doing (and I probably don't). :glare:

Does your library have a math section? I spent several hours online, looking at math websites, scopes and sequences, booklists, etc. I ended up making a long list of topics that they need to know before Algebra. I'm basically reading books about each topic and going over them with my son.

Also, Kitchen Table Math is awesome.

This works great for before-higher-math-topics. After that, you might need to use Khan Academy or a textbook (or what about Life of Fred) to brush up on skills.

Oh, love all these suggestions, starrbuck12! I have an rebellious/unschooly streak and these ideas really speak to me. Thank you.

I'm a humanities gal too, but will be relearning math this year. I bought the Lial's Basic College Math book, and will use that in conjunction with Khan Academy.

SOOOO intriguing. Is this as the title suggests, college math? I wonder if I could 'go there', or if I'd need to go back to hs math? Hmm.

I think that you could do well with Thinkwell.com if you want to learn math on your own. They have little videos and then small problem sets. The lectures are from teachers from some of the finest universities in little ten minute bits. If a person was to do the pre-calculus one, which my son did two years ago, they would start with very basic algebra for review and move forward incrementally.

SOOOO intriguing. Is this as the title suggests, college math? I wonder if I could 'go there', or if I'd need to go back to hs math? Hmm.

Lial's BCM is essentially a one-book review of everything before algebra, starting with arithmetic. It's intended for adults who place into the lowest level of remedial math, but many use it for a pre-algebra course in middle school as well due to the clear instruction and thorough nature.