Menu

What item best helps you organize at home?

I am trying to organize even more this new year. this is what I did last year:

* gave and threw away A LOT of stuff

* got rid of all items I could that would not last a looooong time and replaced them with very good quality items. (like cheap pans and clothes were replaced with good cast iron and nice quality clothes - cheap shoes replaced and junky furniture gone - and so on ...)

* reduced wardrobe to minimal items

* tossed and organized all papers

* cleared out all hygiene items and now have minimal

* learned to put makeup on and only have minimal, good makeup

* organized meal menus

* maintained love/hate relationship with Flylady :lol:

* use calendar ap on iPad

Hmm, sounds like I am organized, but I don't feel there yet. Some things I thought about is my van - it is full of crumbs, dog hair and stuff. I want to have it always clean and smell good.

Any cooking, household or personal tips is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

One question -- can you come over to my house and get me as organized as you are? :D

Thanks! I would love to :001_smile: as long as you tell me often how organized I am lol! I feel like a flake and like I am still nowhere near 'there' yet ... Whereever there is ...

Because although you may think you're "not there yet," you are an Organizational Goddess compared to me!

"What item best helps you organize at home?"

A) My dh

B) My dd15

I am an organizational disaster!!!! :lol:

This is part of my problem - I have four children at home (16-20 yo) and none of them consistently do chores without me asking. Once I ask the usually do it with good cheer - but it is easier to just do it myself :glare:

Edited by 5KidzRUs

Well, no one here really consistently does chores either. So, I hold two family meetings per day, one to start the day and one to end it. In the morning, we review the plans for the day (activities, appointments, chores, school, etc) and then I set them on their way with specific instructions. Then at night, we meet again and review the plan for the following day (who is going where and when, finding clothing for everyone, preparing food/snacks of we are going out, etc.) and we get that done before bed.

That way, no one gets to plead ignorance about what is going on and as a group, we are more organized with less wasted time.

Well, no one here really consistently does chores either. So, I hold two family meetings per day, one to start the day and one to end it. In the morning, we review the plans for the day (activities, appointments, chores, school, etc) and then I set them on their way with specific instructions. Then at night, we meet again and review the plan for the following day (who is going where and when, finding clothing for everyone, preparing food/snacks of we are going out, etc.) and we get that done before bed.

That way, no one gets to plead ignorance about what is going on and as a group, we are more organized with less wasted time.

I do like your family meetings plan. I think that would go a long way in organization. Thanks!

Couple of things:

I have a dh who thinks as I do regarding chores. I.e. everyone messes up the place, so everyone cleans up the place. There just isn't any argument about it. We don't necessarily assign chores (only one ds, so it's kind of overkill), but we all have our chores that have become "ours." We also clean house together frequently, working on different rooms or tasks. We usually pick a weekend morning for a major housecleaning. It doesn't take long when everyone is on task.

For keeping everything coordinated, dh and I both have Blackberries and use an app called "Cozi Family Organizer" to sync schedules, grocery lists, etc. I would be surprised if they didn't also have an iPhone and Android version of this. It's quite useful. It also has an online portal, so ds can log in and see what's up, too.

My family notebook: chores, to-do list, medical information, babysitter info, medications taken, co-pays and medical costs, freezer inventory, car history and information, vet and dog medication schedule....oh, and lest I forget, subdivided by numerical tabs for each grade, curriculum plans and ideas for upcoming years. :)

My family notebook: chores, to-do list, medical information, babysitter info, medications taken, co-pays and medical costs, freezer inventory, car history and information, vet and dog medication schedule....oh, and lest I forget, subdivided by numerical tabs for each grade, curriculum plans and ideas for upcoming years. :)

Love it! Miles to go before I am that squared away :001_smile:

Ziplock bags in every size. They contain messy items in a neat-ish way, are easy to carry and move, and keep things clean.

Buy lots of shelves and Command hooks for vertical storage.

I am sad to say there is no way to keep dogs from shedding and cookies from crumbling. Work a quick vacuum into your routine, as often as needed. This is a great kid assignment.

There are other ways to keep vehicles neat(er):

I have a trashcan, the small bathroom size, bungee corded in the back of my CRV. It's reachable from the back seat, and we use grocery bags so the can itself stays clean.

I keep a small plastic bin in the back also, with paper plates, napkins, and small plastic cups. This makes it easier, neater, and more pleasant when we have to eat on the run. The plastic cups are for splitting drinks. It also has stuff like a pocketknife, a small screwdriver set, a flashlight, pen and paper, ziplock bags, and other randomly handy items.

When the kids were younger, we thoroughly cleaned out the van every Friday, and I said "do you have your stuff?" every time they left the vehicle. This kept things neat(er) and cut down on returning to the van for forgotten items. Now I only remind them if they have milk or other potentially gross stuff, because they are old enough to check the van for stuff without involving me, and they will eventually clear their stuff out when they need it or when they run out of room :D

Sounds like you are doing pretty good. I just moved but it is amazing how things have gone downhill in just 3 months here.

Motivated moms is easier/better for me than fly lady. I like how she reminds you of various tasks each day from little things to bigger projects. I just the week at a time as there are just days when I don't have time for any cleaning/chores and other days where I can get more done.