Menu

Anyone make their own sushi?

Yes, we make it and is good. Do you have an Asian market where you live. The seaweed isn't particularly expensive. I'm kind of a purist I guess because I really like it best with Japanese sticky rice. You can mix your own sushi flavoring with vinegar, sugar, etc. - or you can get a packet of sushi seasoning mix which doesn't cost more than maybe three dollars as I recall.

The other thing I really like are the inari sushi - the sweetened tofu pockets. Those you can get in can - maybe $5 or so. Just make the sticky rice, add the seasoning packet, put in the little pouches and people think you did something fancy.

This should help: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/05/dining/05mini.html

It sort of depends on what kind of sushi you like. If you are talking about sushi that has fish roe or raw fish on it, you need to be careful that you keep it very fresh and are clean in preparation so that there is no chance of food poisoning. Also - that kind of sushi can be a bit on the expensive side. But rolls with avocado or egg or cucumber etc. are very inexpensive and fairly easy to make. I like the inari sushi too.

Thanks for the link!

As for raw fish and roe...eh, not so much to my liking. The ones I've had that I like the most have variations of cucumber, avacado, smoked salmon, crab, shrimp, egg, cream cheese...and a few other substances I didn't readily recognize, but I knew they weren't raw fish or roe.

MMMmmm....I'm getting that craving again. I think I'll be going to the grocery store tomorrow. I'll have to check to see if we have an Asian market here.

It sort of depends on what kind of sushi you like. If you are talking about sushi that has fish roe or raw fish on it, you need to be careful that you keep it very fresh and are clean in preparation so that there is no chance of food poisoning. Also - that kind of sushi can be a bit on the expensive side. But rolls with avocado or egg or cucumber etc. are very inexpensive and fairly easy to make. I like the inari sushi too.

That is excellent advice. Know your fishseller.

I love my fish guy. When I asked him if his tuna would be good for sushi, he said, "State regulations prevent me from suggesting this fish be eaten before it is fully cooked." The whole time he was saying that, though, he was rubbing his stomach enthusiastically and giving a big thumbs up. I trust him on all matters fish, so I felt comfortable eating that fish raw.

And now I want sushi. I blame you, people! :001_smile:

I make my own California Rolls. They are easy to make, with sushi rice and avocado and cucumber and fake crab. Making them is easy, lots of UTUBE videos show you how:).

I didn't even think of checking youtube. I always forget that there is actually good information on there as well. My older dc seem to be able to find only stupid stuff.;)

I didn't even think of checking youtube. I always forget that there is actually good information on there as well. My older dc seem to be able to find only stupid stuff.;)

DS and I learned from a video. It was a kit with a sushi mat and the instructional DVD . . .an Asian guy with an Australian accent. It wasn't so hard. We make spicy crab the most for DS and DH, and I like California rolls. Dd can't stand nori :glare:

We found everything we needed at the Asian market. Just make sure you buy sushi rice and you'll be fine :001_smile:

There is more than stupid stuff on UTUBE. My 16yo found out how to conquer the Red Ring of Death on the Xbox from UTUBE, lol.

Yes, now that you mention it I remember dh saying that's how he fixed our Xbox a year ago!

I was actually thinking more about the Nyan Cat and Nugget In a Biscuit vids my oldest have recently shown me.:glare:

My husband will make rolls about once/month. He puts in: sticky rice (mixes own flavoring), cucumber, daikon (yellow pickled radish), egg (cooked hard, like an omelet), and avacado.

He's also VERY close to mastering the spicy mayo that I like for dipping.

If you have to do more than mix the Asian mayo with srirachi I'm afraid to know!

I make sushi at home but it can get expensive if you use fish.

I order fish from VitalChoice Seafood because I don't have a trusted fish market nearby. It is really expensive but an indulgence and I only use about 3 oz. at a time.

You'll need:

Japanese Sushi Rice, rice vinegar, sugar, salt, water.

Nori (I use Eden Foods seaweed but if you have an Asian market near, then I'm sure it's less expensive)

Fish: salmon, ikura (salmon eggs), tuna, sablefish, any sushi grade fish.

Cucumber

Wasabi

Soy sauce

Bamboo mat for rolling sushi

Avocado

Pickled Ginger (I pickle my own :) )

I just read the NYT article that was linked and I already knew that Sushi is really a "rice" dish, when I'm doing low carb, I can make sushi with:

Nori, raw fish, sliced avocado, sliced cucumber and sliced roasted pepper with sesame seeds rolled up and I make a ginger-soy sauce and wasabi on the side and it is AWESOME (and low carb!) but I guess not technically sushi.

Edited by Jumping In Puddles

It's super easy and cheaper than buying the pre-made stuff. Nori is cheap, sushi rice is a little more expensive but still cheap enough. I make sushi with fake crab, cucumber, avocado, coconut shrimp, tuna and salmon. The fish guy recommends that I buy the fish fresh in the summer and then freeze it for a couple of weeks to make it "sushi grade".

I used to use a mat for rolling but now I do it free hand, which I find a lot easier.

I make it at home. Seaweed and rice are very inexpensive. I will admit that I haven't done it with salmon or tuna at home, but I will do it with roe, cream cheese, crab, shrimp, and any variety of fruit and vegetables. It is cheap and simple.

The prices places charge is actually disgusting to me unless it is a place that is VERY creative. Our grocery stores try to charge a fortune for pre-packaged sushi. I only go to the one grocery that has young men there that make it on the spot, THEN I'm willing to pay the price.