Menu

Help me spend my Gift Card

How should I spend my gift card?  

1. 1. How should I spend my gift card?

• Pressure Cooker
    • Juicer
    • Other-please tell me what you would get

I received a $70 gift card to Bed Bath and Beyond.

I am trying to deceide what to buy with it. I have it narrowed down to two item and thought a poll would be fun. ;)

One item is a pressure cooker so I can cook grains like brown rice in 14 minutes. I know this next spring with a new baby that it will come in handy. http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?SKU=18115018

The other is a juicer like on Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead. Dh would like to slim down like 20 lbs and I would love to be able to get some of my boys to drink some juice since they don't like veggies. http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?SKU=13687110

So both are great options but I don't know which would get more use. What says the Hive?

PS I know I will have to add money to either one and I am okay with that.

I went to BB&B two days ago, and was overwhelmed by the options.

One thing about buying a mini appliance for the kitchen--make sure you have a place to store it!

Have you been able to borrow someone else's canner or juicer to see if you like the results? I have been graciously LOANED a canner, and was glad to be able to "practice" canning without having to invest in one first.

Have fun improving your kitchen options!

I went to BB&B two days ago, and was overwhelmed by the options.

One thing about buying a mini appliance for the kitchen--make sure you have a place to store it!

Have you been able to borrow someone else's canner or juicer to see if you like the results? I have been graciously LOANED a canner, and was glad to be able to "practice" canning without having to invest in one first.

Have fun improving your kitchen options!

It isn't a canner it is a cooker so I can pressure cook food. I do have a regular pressure canner which I have never used. ;) I would probably be getting rid of my rice cooker and one crock pot if I got the pressure cooker.

I have both of those (not the same brand) and never use them. I use a really good blender from daily smoothies and a rice maker for cooking grains. Do you already have a good blender and rice maker?

Yes I own a vitamix. My rice cooker is 12 yrs old and still works but I do want to upgrade at some point. To either a pressure cooker or a stainless rice cooker.

My mom uses her pressure cooker all the time for potatoes and fresh green beans, especially. She doesn't know how I live without one.

I used to have a juicer and cleaning the thing (5-10 mins) was so stinkin time consuming I HATED using it. But I have pretty low tolerance for cleaning the kitchen. I'll use a knife instead of my food processor for chopping for the same reason.

HTH.

--Karen

(Please excuse the following ignorance... :D)

So that pressure cooker can cook things either super fast OR slow cooked?

Dude. I want one of THOSE. :)

I've never even seen a pressure cooker used, let alone used one myself. No one in my family, that I know of, uses one.

But seriously, if it's something that can cook stuff either super fast or super slow, I'd use it every week. Multiple times.

Oh, and remember, BB&B always has coupons floating around. I've seen anything from $5 off $20 to 20% off one item.

Edited by bethanyniez

Oh, and remember, BB&B always has coupons floating around. I've seen anything from $5 off $20 to %20 off one item.

Definitely use a coupon to stretch your gift card amount.

I'm not a believer in juicing, so I'd go for the pressure cooker (though for myself I wouldn't chose that either). However, if you already have a pressure canner, does it double as a cooker? I thought most of them can do both.

Does the gift card have an expiration date? If not, take your time. Look around, and again, make sure you have a coupon when you do use the GC.

In my experience, very few people end up actually using a juicer, and they take up a lot of space. I think a blender is good enough.

I actually use my pressure cooker all the time. I use it to make pea soup (in 20 minutes!), cook a tough hunk of *frozen* lamb in 45 minutes, stew chicken pieces in 15 minutes, oh yes, and cook dried beans, without soaking! in 30 minutes or so. It really is a great thing once you get the hang of cooking with it.

All that said, I personally would be buying some of the cool "as seen on TV" items they carry at BBB, but that's just me :D.

(Please excuse the following ignorance... :D)

So that pressure cooker can cook things either super fast OR slow cooked?

Dude. I want one of THOSE. :)

I've never even seen a pressure cooker used, let alone used one myself. No one in my family, that I know of, uses one.

But seriously, if it's something that can cook stuff either super fast or super slow, I'd use it every week. Multiple times.

Oh, and remember, BB&B always has coupons floating around. I've seen anything from $5 off $20 to 20% off one item.

Yep I have my coupon ready and waiting. ;) Yes it slow cooks and pressure cooks and you can program it to turn on and have dinner ready at a certain time. If you google Chef Brad and fusion cooking he shows how easy they are to use and I would love to be able to have beans or rice done in record time it would save me money vs canned beans. And I like the fact I won't have to monitor the stove closely while it cooks.