Menu

Adult Acne???? (tmi??)

So I'm 29 years old and I have NEVER broken out like this before. EVER. When I was a teenager I had maybe 1-2 pimples at a time, not all the time. Maybe it was cyclical - I didn't really pay attention at the time.

Well, for the last few months I've been breaking out terribly. Particularly on my chin/jawbone and a little on my forehead. I think the forehead is from my bangs - I got a new shampoo that I feel weighs my hair down a little, and plan on switching soon, plus I'm growing out the bangs. But the chin...it's just awful.

I have read that breakouts on the chin are hormonal, but this is ALL the time, not lined up with my cycle at all. I have no reason that I can think of to have any other hormonal changes- I'm only 29 (no menopause anytime soon), I'm not on birth control (had tubes tied 2.5 years ago), and am not pregnant (obviously :lol:). I thought it was this new makeup I had gotten about 3 months ago, but then I went back to my usual stuff (bare escentuals mineral foundation) and it didn't go away. It's progressively worse - or, at the very least, just as bad. I wash my face with DHC deep cleansing oil at night and Cetaphil in the morning in the shower. This is the same stuff I used last year and my face was great.

I'm just at a loss. It's driving me insane, and it's embarrassing. :glare:

What can I do? :confused: Any ideas?? :bigear:

Couple of things:

1. Get a dental check-up, could be gum tissue related

2. Probiotics

3. Use Head & Shoulders Shampoo

4. Nuetrogena Acne Pads (look for the orange label)

5. Write up a skin care regimen and stick to it religiously.

6. Change your pillow cover daily. Use white cotton only, double rinsed only in water.

7. Keep your hair up when possible.

8. Keep your own set of face clothes/towels, etc. No sharing.

So I'm 29 years old and I have NEVER broken out like this before. EVER. When I was a teenager I had maybe 1-2 pimples at a time, not all the time. Maybe it was cyclical - I didn't really pay attention at the time.

Well, for the last few months I've been breaking out terribly. Particularly on my chin/jawbone and a little on my forehead. I think the forehead is from my bangs - I got a new shampoo that I feel weighs my hair down a little, and plan on switching soon, plus I'm growing out the bangs. But the chin...it's just awful.

I have read that breakouts on the chin are hormonal, but this is ALL the time, not lined up with my cycle at all. I have no reason that I can think of to have any other hormonal changes- I'm only 29 (no menopause anytime soon), I'm not on birth control (had tubes tied 2.5 years ago), and am not pregnant (obviously :lol:). I thought it was this new makeup I had gotten about 3 months ago, but then I went back to my usual stuff (bare escentuals mineral foundation) and it didn't go away. It's progressively worse - or, at the very least, just as bad. I wash my face with DHC deep cleansing oil at night and Cetaphil in the morning in the shower. This is the same stuff I used last year and my face was great.

I'm just at a loss. It's driving me insane, and it's embarrassing. :glare:

What can I do? :confused: Any ideas?? :bigear:

If it's on your jawline and you haven't had it previously, it's probably hormonal. It doesn't have to coincide with a cycle, but sometimes ovulation and/or menstruation will make it worse (not always, though. Mine was 24/7 like yours.) A couple of years ago, I stressed over this exact issue for months (and it was even painful at times) until finally I just went to my g.p. She prescribed me a very low dose $5 generic oral antibiotic (Doxycycline) and it was gone in a few days. Once in a while it comes back, I take some Doxycycline and it goes away again. I was afraid I was going to have to see my obgyn or a dermatologist, but it was a very cheap & easy thing for my regular doctor to take care of. Try everything that everyone else is suggesting, but if nothing works, this is probably a very easy issue for your regular doctor.

Good luck to you! I know how it feels-- not fun!

Edited by Element

I'm the same age with the same problem. I went to the dermatologist and he recommended birth control pills for three to six months (I also have my tubes tied). I have been on them since mid-Oct and my skin is finally clear. He also recommended that I stop using a ton of "stuff" to try to clear my skin up and just stick to washing my face with dove bar soap and a washcloth then once the breakouts cleared up add in moisturizing with a sensitize skin (no spf) face cream.

I never had issues as a teen so it really threw me that my skin got as bad as it did.

Is it something you're eating/drinking? I'm 32, and have finally figured out that drinking soda is what makes my face break out. Umm, not sure why it took me so long to figure it out, but it is only pop. Which is a very sad thing for me.... :001_unsure:

I'm not sure. I don't think I'm doing anything different than I was... but idk, maybe. I've also gained 5-10 lbs in the last 6-8 weeks for no discernible reason. o.O So maybe I'm eating the wrong thing?

If it's on your jawline and you haven't had it previously, it's probably hormonal. It doesn't have to coincide with a cycle, but sometimes ovulation and/or menstruation will make it worse (not always, though. Mine was 24/7 like yours.) A couple of years ago, I stressed over this exact issue for months (and it was even painful at times) until finally I just went to my g.p. She prescribed me a very low dose $5 generic oral antibiotic (Doxycycline) and it was gone in a few days. Once in a while it comes back, I take some Doxycycline and it goes away again. I was afraid I was going to have to see my obgyn or a dermatologist, but it was a very cheap & easy thing for my regular doctor to take care of. Try everything that everyone else is suggesting, but if nothing works, this is probably a very easy issue for your regular doctor.

Good luck to you! I know how it feels-- not fun!

Yeah, the jawline thing is kind of a tell tale sign - antibiotics. Sorry.