Menu

Audiobooks for the older crowd?

I need some recommendations, as we have a long-standing family tradition of audiobooks (and read alouds) when we are all gathered for the holidays. It just seems to get harder and harder each year to find something that will engage everyone.

When they were in elementary they loved audiobooks of Swiss Family R, the entire Narnia series, and many others that I can't remember now, but now I'm trying to find something for young adults.

ETA: not YA in the library sense, but progeny who are between 16 and 23. ; )

I doesn't have to be fiction: a fascinating non-fiction or wonderfully engaging biography would be fine as well.

Two requirements: 1) not preachy, and 2) low-profanity and low-gratuitous crud.

Thanks so much!

Edited by Valerie(TX)

What about P.G. Wodehouse? Recorded Books has some great editions read by Alexander Spencer that you should have NO problem finding at your local library. The Jeeves and Wooster books are hilarious and completely clean.

Currently I'm listening to the Mrs. Pollifax series by Dorothy Gilman - Mrs. Pollifax is a sweet little old lady who becomes a spy, and manages to get away with all kinds of things simply because she is a sweet little old lady. There's the occasional 'd**n!' or 'my God!' from some of the other spies, but other than that it is clean, adventurous, and pretty darned funny.

What about Dickens? A Christmas Carol is a natural for this time of year, of course, but Dickens originally wrote for a read-aloud audience - remember back then, sitting in the parlor reading aloud to the rest of the family was a common after-dinner entertainment.

Edited by Deniseibase
my example obscenity was auto-edited beyond recognition :-)

Bonhoeffer by FOF ( though...might be preachy?) We love the David McCullough books on cd. His voice is great. We listened to Truman on our last long car trip. My daughter didn't enjoy it ( she was 8.), but he rest of us did. Les Miserables by FOF.. it is a dramatization not an unabridged book-much like Narnia. The Silver Shard is one I listened to again on cd with my daughter and we both enjoyed it. A Year Down Under is HILARIOUS. I checked the last two out of my library. The reader in A Year Down under is great!!! And it deals with a 16 year old girl having to live at her grandmother's house during the depression. Her grandmother is quite a character!!! Very enjoyable.

I just bought my son The House of Silk by Anthony Horowitz on CD for Christmas. It is a Sherlock Holmes novel and has gotten great reviews. It is authorized by the Arthur Conan Doyle Estate. I am reading the book and so far so good. I haven't read anything that has made me uncomfortable about my 12 year old ds listening to it.

God Bless,

Elise in NC

I need some recommendations, as we have a long-standing family tradition of audiobooks (and read alouds) when we are all gathered for the holidays. It just seems to get harder and harder each year to find something that will engage everyone.

When they were in elementary they loved audiobooks of Swiss Family R, the entire Narnia series, and many others that I can't remember now, but now I'm trying to find something for young adults.

ETA: not YA in the library sense, but progeny who are between 16 and 23. ; )

I doesn't have to be fiction: a fascinating non-fiction or wonderfully engaging biography would be fine as well.

Two requirements: 1) not preachy, and 2) low-profanity and low-gratuitous crud.

Thanks so much!

Robinson Crusoe read by Jim Weiss. I got it for my youngest, then we had it along on a drive. The whole family listened from about the 12th disk and it was incredible.

1066: The Year of the Conquest

The Undercover Economist

On America by Stephen Ambrose

DH and I listened to Truman years ago and loved it. I like him much more as a president than I had before.

Citizen Solders by Ambrose is also really good.

another book that looks like it might be a real treasure, Mornings on Horseback, about T. Roosevelt's upbringing and earlier years by David McCullough.

There is a bit of a flap over both his and Stephen Ambrose's (IIRC) "research authenticity," but I didn't see anyone complaining about this particular title.

Thanks for your input, and I look forward to more idea if anyone else wants to chime in. You don't know the relief I felt when I saw replies! The Hive is wonderful!

A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens narrated by Jim Dale

Our family has enjoyed:

The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien; here's a link to Fellowship of the Ring narrated by Rob Inglis

Dracula by Bram Stoker

I, Claudius by Robert Graves (but the subject matter may be beyond your comfort level)

Regards,

Kareni

Father Brown Stories

Sherlock Holmes

Anything by Dickens (somehow I did better with Tale of Two Cities after listening to it)

Miss Marple

Agatha Christie

Shakespeare

We enjoy anything by Brian Jacques and will listen to the last Redwall story (Sable Queen) this week, which was published after he died. Most consider them to be children's stories, but the whole family enjoys them in our house.

Elise/Speedmom

I don't want to give any spoilers for House of Silk, but finish the book before you decide if it is appropriate for age 12 and under...

It is a very fun read, isn't graphic, but it may be unsuitable for some families with younger teens.

Thanks so much for that info!! I actually got to the part in the book when a young boy was murdered and I realized that it would be too scary for my son. I should have waited to post about it after I read it. :001_huh:

God Bless,

Elise in NC