Menu

Do you know anything about Chihuahua/Jack Russell terrier mixes?

This came across a homeschool loop I'm on and I'm considering looking at the puppy. Any thoughts?

My friend's son purchased an adorable Chihuahua / Jack Russell terrier puppy (6mo). He is the sweetest, calmest most affectionate dog in the world, but he cries and shakes when they all go off to work each day (all day) and it is breaking their hearts to see the dog so miserable. This puppy needs a homeschool family or older person who is home most of the day to keep the dog company. He is not yappy or high strung. He is house broken / crate trained and will only potty outside. He is full grown at 5lbs and current on all shots. He comes with crate and snugglie coat and dog bed.

Hmmm...I am familiar with each individual breed, but not the combo.

I doubt he's full grown at 6 months old.

I don't believe he's calm, not high strung, and not yappy. :D Jack Russells are notoriously high strung. Chihuahuas tend to be yappy and not so great with kids (I had one...very briefly).

I would not consider him for MY family, but he might be perfect for yours. Do post pics if you get him!

And as I do with many mixes, I'm shaking my head wondering why anyone ever thought those two would be a great mix. Maybe it wasn't intentional, but if the Jack and the Chi weren't spayed and neutered, it was bound to happen.

Seriously--- If I could dream up a nightmare of a small dog mix, Chihuahua x Jack Russell would be it.

Not my cuppa.

astrid

I've had both. We had a Jack that we kept for less then 3 mos. before rehoming because of how high strung and mean she was. I know Chihuahuas get a bad rap for being mean, not family friendly but our little guy is the best. I will say it took a couple years for him to warm up to our daughter(she was 4) and he does not do well with children under 8 (he's terrified of them). But he is sweet, calm, and loving. He can also be easily riled up during playtime.

The only thing I know about them is that I saw a man in the park with a teeny-tiny dog that was the cutest dog I've ever seen (I haven't been a dog person in the past). I asked him about his puppy, and he told me that it was a jack-huahua, and that it was a very nice puppy. He said it was well-behaved, and in the few minutes I visited with him, the dog didn't shake, or freak out, or yip or bark. I wanted to grab the puppy, tuck it under my arm, and run off with it. :001_smile:

We have a Jack/Chi mix!

Actually, my daughter specifically asked for that particular mix about a year and a half ago. We searched and searched and finally found one. She's adorable!

She's about 6 pounds, and yes, she does shake. But that's the chihuahua side of her. My sister is a vet tech and says that almost all chihuahua's shake. She is not yappy or aggressive. Actually, she's a bit of a scaredy cat. She's a bit nervous, but not high strung. She's not hyper active either. She runs in circles and is very excited when we first let her out of her crate (in the mornings and when we return from errands) but she settles down and relaxes in her bed.

We also have a 12 year old full blooded Jack Russell that we've had since he was 8 weeks old. I think that Jack's have a bad rap because ours is NOT hyper and crazy. He's VERY intelligent and is actually sort of lazy LOL. And he's definitely not snappy or aggressive.

Here's our Marley, the Jack/Chi mix!

6506123345_c069fdcf1f.jpg

marley4 by ChristusG, on Flickr