Menu

Vision therapy problems-- HELP!!

I got a letter today saying that as of 12-15-11 ds's vision therapy sessions will no longer be covered. AT ALL. He will go from 100% coverage plus mileage reimbursement to NO coverage for them what so ever. None, at all.

I am so lost on what to do. I just don't know if we can afford them without the coverage. I called and found out how much it would be plus I figured out the gas costs and I don't know if we can do this. What would you do? I have a post here with what he was diagnosed with and he is in real need of this therapy.

Does anybody know of anything that can be done just at home? Is there such thing as vision therapy at home without a therapist?? I am so bummed right now. I had such high hopes and was excited to help ds now this :crying:

:grouphug: I had three kids in VT this past spring, with no insurance coverage for VT and minimal coverage for the initial evaluation. Yes, it's hard, but I don't regret it a bit.

I would check into why it's no longer covered though. Has the policy changed for everyone, was their a limit to number of sessions covered, is it his particular dx, etc. In the latter two the doctor may be able to write a letter and have it put under review. Usually benefits do not change until January though.

The letter said due to cuts but I have a call in. I was hoping to get one today but hopefully they will get back with me tomorrow. Dh's work has been cut so drastically this winter that there is just no way right now. Bills are barely being met. His job will pick back up in the spring/summer then we should be able to but I really don't want to wait that long. Normally winters are not THIS slow but for some reason this winter is :confused:

I don't have advice on what to do at home but I do suggest you not only call but send in a formal appeal. My office assisted me in getting the paperwork together and sent it in for me. We were still utlimately denied but it was worth a shot.

In addition, you can ask the office if they have a grant program or if they know of a clinic in your area that does. Our office awards a certain number every year (in April) and they cover all the services for the recipient for an entire year. We did not receive one of these but have been tweaking our budget to fit in VT.

I don't have advice on what to do at home but I do suggest you not only call but send in a formal appeal. My office assisted me in getting the paperwork together and sent it in for me. We were still utlimately denied but it was worth a shot.

In addition, you can ask the office if they have a grant program or if they know of a clinic in your area that does. Our office awards a certain number every year (in April) and they cover all the services for the recipient for an entire year. We did not receive one of these but have been tweaking our budget to fit in VT.

:iagree:I would try a formal appeal with a doctor's letter. Also, could you try calling your state senator or representatives office? Your governor? There was a case locally where an elected official became involved in fighting for something that was not covered by insurance, and the family got the help they needed.

Have you heard of the Masgutova Method? I have been using this method for two years with my Aspie son. It has totally changed his future. I have recently started using the method for my daughter who had clear eye tracking problems and was sick to her stomach when reading. We are not done with the therapy but she now reads without getting "car sick" and her tracking is improved! Just seeing her pick up a book for pleasure is great! You can google the name. They also have a yahoo group. You can either find someone in your area to help you set up a home program or take the classes you need. There are 3 I would recommend if you want to take the classes. I have found this information useful with all my children. Even my bedwetter! You can contact me if you want. I can send you some articles about her method and vision therapy and more. It is from Europe(Poland/Russia actually) so it is just beginning to gain a foothold in the states.

I've heard good things about the Masgutova method, but I don't know much about it.

Another option is the CareCredit card. We are paying out of pocket for vision therapy, but we use the CareCredit card to help with most of it. They have special no financing deals if you pay your balance within a year (offered only at certain doctor's offices) and some places offer a 48-month plan that is good.. They also have a 6-month no financing plan. I would look into it. We are only paying about $60 a month for VT when we would otherwise be paying $125 a week!!

• 10 months later...

We had no insurance coverage and a tight budget. I was given materials and directions on doing exercises at home, and we paid oop for sessions. Can you swing a once a month/every other month office pmt?

There are books available online for purchase with the exercises but I found being trained personally by the covd to be helpful. Plus, she gave us a marsden ball, lent us flipper and prism lenses, etc.

Ah, that stinks that you had coverage and are losing it! I second the others in saying appeal whatever you can.

Our insurances covers nothing- literally nothing. I worked out a deal with our vision therapist to do sessions every other week. WIth my dd's issues (mostly tracking, near/far) most of the exercises can be done at home after we are shown in the office what to do. Our therapist even has written sheets on *how* to do each of the exercises. See what you can work out with your vision therapy dr. Many of them seem to be genuinely concerned about their patients and would probably bend over backwards to help you get the treatment your son needs.

but I found being trained personally by the covd to be helpful

:iagree:

When our insurance didn't cover therapies, we were able to get our son on a form of Medicaid thru the state that just covered therapies. We had to show need and disability, it had to go thru a medical review (which took months with my constant calling), but eventually it did. As our income goes up and down, our premiums change ona sliding scale. Without it we could have never provided his therapies.

When our insurance didn't cover therapies, we were able to get our son on a form of Medicaid thru the state that just covered therapies. We had to show need and disability, it had to go thru a medical review (which took months with my constant calling), but eventually it did. As our income goes up and down, our premiums change ona sliding scale. Without it we could have never provided his therapies.

We actually looked into that but it would not be covered on the option he would qualify for. (Our state has 2 'versions'- 1) for ultra low income and 2) moderate low income or children with disabilities. #2 does not cover any therapies (makes no sense when it is for kids with disabilities) But--- that was about 6 months or more ago that we looked into it. I might give them a call in the morning and see if there were any changes!

I think you need to explore yourself first. Try to concentrate on what you actually want to do? Then Then have some plannings and strategies to act on your will. I Guess this the best way to implement on your Vision.

okay sir spams a lot. This is about vision, as in eye sight, not vision as in dream