Menu

Duke TIP 4th/5th grade registration is now open

I don't know if anyone else was interested, but I've been visiting the Duke TIP website every few weeks to see if the 4th/5th grade registration had opened up, and today when I visited, it looks like it has.

You need to register to enroll.

ETA: Upon registering, you can see a list of self-paced classes available for free for your child to take. These include Number Secrets and Codes, Story Writing, Energy: Powerful Connections in Chemistry, Biology, and Physics and The Book Club. There are also a number of courses you can purchase.

Edited by Halcyon

So in order to apply I would need my child to take a test to get a score is that correct?

Would it be better to have my child who would have been redshirted had he gone to school, take a test this spring and then enroll next year as a 4th grader? He is 9.

His birthday is in July so he would have been the youngest in his class and a boy.

In 7th or 8th grade, they can take the ACT and be eligible for some scholarships.

Why not just wait until 7th or 8th? Does it cost more? You have to pay for each year until then right?

There is an Explore test too it looks like, is that helpful?

Edited by kwg

We're signing up because I feel that, as homeschoolers, any outside awards, recognition, etc is valuable. From what I've read, your name is released (if you so choose) to organizations providing scholarships and other educational opportunities. Also, I plan on having my son take the Explore test in 5th, so I'm just signing up now. Here's their 4th/5th brochure; it may provide useful information.

You are not bound by these boundaries in most cases, though. We did JHU CTY last year even though we are in IL. At the time, I hadn't heard of CTD. We probably will do CTD in the future; I just wanted to let everyone know you're not limited to your geographic area as many of these have online programs and test through national centers such as Prometric.

We're signing up because I feel that, as homeschoolers, any outside awards, recognition, etc is valuable. From what I've read, your name is released (if you so choose) to organizations providing scholarships and other educational opportunities.

I'm not familiar with Duke specifically, but :iagree:with this.

I'm not familiar with Duke specifically, but :iagree:with this.

Ah, thanks. I can see your point. I have thought about it; I was unsure of the benefits for an elementary aged child. I like to pretend we have a few years before all that stuff begins....:tongue_smilie:

(not all links are functioning properly, google longhand if they are not)

Hoagies is fairly well known for sketching out the programs that are better known out there:

http://www.hoagiesgifted.org/talent_search.htm

In some of the programs they plead their case on why their program is valuable and what benefits they offer if you are interested.

I believe through Davidson Gifted there are ways to enter as an affiliate also. Don't quote me on that, it's a vague memory right now, but that program also has different organizations that might fill a need for a particular kid.

You are not bound by these boundaries in most cases, though. We did JHU CTY last year even though we are in IL. At the time, I hadn't heard of CTD. We probably will do CTD in the future; I just wanted to let everyone know you're not limited to your geographic area as many of these have online programs and test through national centers such as Prometric.

Unless CTD has changed its policy, scores obtained through CTY can be used to qualify for all of CTD's programs. You do not need to retest.

Also, when your child needs to take the SAT/ACT to continue in the talent search programs, you can save about $35 by simply signing your child up directly for the ACT/SAT. The only negative of not registering with a talent search is that your child will not be eligible to participate in any of the award ceremonies.

Why not just wait until 7th or 8th? Does it cost more? You have to pay for each year until then right?

There is an Explore test too it looks like, is that helpful?

Yeah, this is why I lean towards "just waiting" until she is older. Also, Duke Tip had some online classes your kids could take and they looked nice...but, we have an incredible enrichment center here (we're in Texas, where everyone homeschools) and I would rather put her in a science class at the enrichment center... I don't know... She was tested once and scored in the top 1 percentile...I just don't know if she would get anything out of it right now if we tried for the Duke program. All she seems to want to do right now is paint, crochet and call Grandma. :lol: