Menu

gift for 13 yo daughter-kindle?

We are struggling with an idea for our 13 year old girl. She is an avid reader. I thought about different books/sets I could get her. Then tonight I thought maybe a kindle. No one in our house has one, but my dh and I have iphones/droids and her two brothers have ipod touches with kindle app. She has nothing, only an ipod shuffle for music.

My husband(NOT a reader...) thought a kindle wasnt a good idea since its only an e-reader. Our budget is pretty close to right at $100. Really we dont even usually spend that much on one gift, but as the kids are getting older it gets so much harder. Anyways, Im looking around at the different options. We cant do the Fire. What about the touch with wifi? Could she store her music/listen to it? Read email? Textfree? Any apps/games? Anything like that? Im a bit confused what it includes. We would get her an ipod touch, but really can't do that either(too much $$, the boys bought their own, BTW)

Thank you!

I'm not a Kindle expert, because I use the Kindle app on my iPad, but I think it's a great idea -- and I'm sure your dd will love it!

The only other option I can think of is to see if you can get a used iPad (the first one, not the iPad 2.) The least expensive version would be fine for your dd, because e-books take up very little memory. I have a ton of books on my iPad, and they take up hardly any space at all.

I don't know what a used iPad would cost, but if you know anyone who is getting the newer version for Christmas, perhaps they would sell you their old one.

Thank you! Yes and ipad would be great, but no leads there. Do you have a kindle touch? It seems from reading the reviews it can do email and such which I think she would really like.

I really don't know a thing about Kindles, but I know they are popular here, so if you keep bumping the thread, I'm sure you'll get a lot of great advice. Have you read the reviews of the different Kindles on Amazon?

Also, have you checked into the Nook from Barnes & Noble? I think they are more expensive, but again, I only know them from seeing them in the store displays and watching the commercials on TV.

I know there are a lot of different tablets available, and the Kindle app would probably be available for several of them, but I wish I could help you with the details. I'm a computer geek, but since I use my iPad for Kindle, I never bought a separate e-reader, so I am quite clueless about them.

My DD got a Kindle for her 14th birthday and LOVES it. She is an avid reader and this was just the right present for her. There are many books available for free - practically everything that was published more than 70 years ago is free. So, part of the Kindle will pay itself off because you never have to buy another classic ;-)

Hers is a fairly basic one, but the wireless capability is useful.

I purchased my daughter the ad supported basic Kindle for $79 for her 14th birthday. She loves it. The ads are not intrusive at all. They are not visible 'inside' books. She only uses it for reading so I can't really tell you much about the other internet features of it. There are MANY great free books you can get for her, classics, christian fiction, etc.. and then of course, for birthdays, etc she can ask for Amazon gift cards so she can download some of her favorite books that are not free.

I think it would depend on what her preferences are. I personally love my Kindle because I like to read. But I don't need something that lets me read and play games and listen to music. My android phone supposedly does stuff like that and I thought it was cool when I first got it, but I have rarely used anything other than the basic phone stuff. I can call and text. I paid way too much for all the bells and whistles simply because it was shiny and new.

My problem with the Kindle is that the books I want to read are not free. I used to pay out lots each month for books and when I realized just how much I was spending, I stopped. Of the several free books I've downloaded, only one was any good. Oh, and my library's idea of ebooks is a joke. I was so psyched, but all of the books I had any interest in had waiting lists. I could get the physical book and finish reading it before the ebook became available.

My ex-husband is buying a Kindle for our dd19. It was all he could think of. The problem is that she isn't a big reader. And I think I stumped him when I told him it needed to be attached to an account to even download books. I don't think he thought that far. Or maybe he assumed I would put my credit card on it. Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if he did assume that. Oh good grief. I don't know what model he is getting for her though.

I forgot to mention this last night, but you should ask your library if your dd can "borrow" Kindle titles like she would check out a regular book. There's usually a separate section on the library website for it, and you can either check titles out immediately, or reserve titles that are super-popular or that have already been checked out by others.