Menu

Amazon continues to threaten local stores viability

I don't see how they are paying them to walk out empty handed. You could still buy something. They are giving a discount for people doing their foot work to check on prices. You still have to spend something at Amazon to "get your payment", which is actually a discount.

The PI picked a good line to get people to read the blurb.

I saw this earlier on the facebook page for our local bookstore. I personally avoid shopping at Amazon and big box stores as much as possible.

I like the personal relationship I have with local merchants and I like good service. I certainly won't be scanning their prices and reporting back to Amazon.

I read the details of the promotion on Amazon. Especially given all the limitations on qualifying items and the fact that it's only good for one day on up to three items and only 5% up to a max of $5, I think your summary of it is sensationalistic.

Edited by WordGirl

Well, frankly, this type of thing happens all of the time, but it's usually an employee who does the price-checking "undercover". Since Amazon doesn't have the actual retail footprint, and nor employees all over, it's actually a smart business move on their part.

I mean, how do you think that Wal-Mart, for years, has always undercut everyone else's prices? It's not only the fact that they purchase in huge quantities, but that they make sure they know what other retailers are charging so they can charge less.

I don't see the issue, it's the way of big business these days. Cut-throat + tight economy = having to think on your feet and be innovative.

$5 for a price matching gimmick isn't going to run Walmart, ToysRUs, Best Buy or Target out of business. Those stores are Amazon's primary competition. I shop at Amazon because they have excellent customer service and make my life easier. I avoid Walmart for the opposite reasons. Mom and Pop stores have largely disappeared from most areas, regardless.

Edited by Barb F. PA in AZ
typos